Amp for Aerius

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JariV

Reaction score
Hi!

I´m new at this forum. I´m considering to buy a pair of aerius speakers from my friend. They are in mint condition and I love how them sounds, but one thing bothers me. I have a several years old Sony av receiver and it needs to be replaced if I buy Logans. I know that Logans needs and deserves a good amp. Local dealer said that I coud try Mark Levinson pre+pwr combo, but I´m afraid they are far too expensive. What amp ( around 1000-2000$ ) would work fine with Aerius? I know that budget is quite tight, but I hope to find a good amp with that money.:music:

-Jari-

Go to a good hifi store and audition some amps on your Aerius'...trust your own ears..not other peoples opinions. We could give you a short list though;)

Hi!

I´m new at this forum. I´m considering to buy a pair of aerius speakers from my friend. They are in mint condition and I love how them sounds, but one thing bothers me. I have a several years old Sony av receiver and it needs to be replaced if I buy Logans. I know that Logans needs and deserves a good amp. Local dealer said that I coud try Mark Levinson pre+pwr combo, but I´m afraid they are far too expensive. What amp ( around 1000-2000$ ) would work fine with Aerius? I know that budget is quite tight, but I hope to find a good amp with that money.:music:

-Jari-
Hola...you could try www.audiogon.com. there are good options used like Blue Circle integrated amp, and could drive your Aerius with no problem at moderated level...in other words, like if the musicians were playing for you there, in your own room, of course unplugged music. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Thanks for quick reply.

What amps are you using or you have used with aerius? Tubes? Transistors? Local dealer scared me with the opinon that Logans usually needs a lots of amperes to drive them. Is low impedance so crucial in that hi freqencies?
I am beginner with Logans so forgive me stupid questions.

Thaks -J-

FYI, when I owned Aerius i's, I used a 5 channel Sunfire Cinema Grand, and vertically bi-amped them. It sounded great. The old Sunfires offered a choice of "voltage" outputs or "current" outputs, which allowed you to tailor the panel sound to your liking. They are superb amps, and can still be found used. Here's the old thread link...
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=976

Of note, I still have mine sitting in a box, meaning to list it on A'gon, but never got around to it. If you (or anybody else) is interested, PM me.

Last edited:
I think you shouldn´t forget the Parasound amps, specially for its excellent (at least on paper) current capacity. Good worth for the buck warranted.:rolleyes:

I'd go used, and get something with good current delivery. I had Aerius and found a 70w integrated just didn't cut it. I think that combination lasted about a month before I upgraded to a pre/power combo that had the ability to do justice to the Aerius.

Current is not everything, look at the "Members System" section and see what people are using and have used.

I like the sound of my tube pre-amp and tube amp much better than the soild-state stuff I was using.

I paid about $1,000 each piece, found a local dealer posting on AudioGon and picked it up, even had a home audition before buying.

Click my signature at the bottom to see system #42 (mine).

Jariv,
There's a classic Classe' DR9 just popped up on A'gon for $850! This is a sweet amp and considered by many to be a classic.

SlowGEEZR,
I just surfed to your page and saw the Jolida pic. Nice. PM me if you want to get another round of capturing the tube glow in the dark :D

Spike

Thank`s for opinons and help. I think I got a good guideline to find a suitable amp. I visited "members system section". You guys have beautiful systems! =)

BTW... I visited local HIFI expedition couple weeks a ago. New ML Purity provided a one of best sounds at show. Just a mentioning few I was also impessed by performace of Penaudio Serenade loudspeakers, Zu audio Zruid credenza speakers with Manley tube amps and Naim audio system.

-Jari-

I too am new here and just bought some used but perfect condition Aerius i's.
The amplifier I use is a Meridian 557 (200/ch). I've gone through a lot of amps in my years, maybe not real high end stuff, (Bryston, B&K, Carver, HK, Sonic Frontiers-tube, etc.) but to me for the price the Meridian has a lot of detail and is never harsh or compressed sounding and doesn't get near the melting point when run hard for a long time and can deliver a lot of current. 55 pounds of solid enjoyment and has balanced and RCA inputs as well as has 2 sets of well made speaker posts so I run separate sets of cables instead of a conventional bi-wire cable.
The Meridian's go for a really decent price (<$1000) on the used market unlike the (awesome but expensive) Levinson gear.
I wouldn't say Meridian is the final word, but if you get a chance to audition one, give it a try.
I own some Energy Veritas 1.8 speakers as well, and the ML's are not quite a smooth on the top end, so I'd personally recommend an amp that isn't hard and metallic, maybe a little more on the soft side, or possible a really good valve amp with the right tubes. (Darn I wish I kept my Sonic' mono's)
Also, consider the preamp when you make your auditions as they make a huge difference.
Lastly, the sound has to please you so take and use input cautiously.

Last edited:
Many years ago when I had my Aerius' I used an ARC D-79. These are pretty unobtainium these days, but the D-76 is pretty close and you can pick those up for about 800 bucks in good shape. A nice preamp to go with is the Audible Illusions 2D. You can pick one of those up for 450...

Nice combo, no frills good sound easy to use with the aerius.

Plenty of good choices though!

hello, im having the same problem,
at the moment i use a marantz pm17, but it
comes a little short with the aerius els....

at the moment im intrested in a primare i30,
my question, is this a good idea? or should i go for something else?

Hi! PM 17 is supposed to be a good quality amp (at least on paper). What you yhink, what makes it unsuitable with els? I have heard other people saying also that marantz is not the one with Logans.

well i think its cause it isnt made for the low ohm levels, and it doesnt deliver enough watt ( or how do i say it)
its a nice amp besides all this!
what do you think of the i30?

It delivers 100w at 8 ohms and 180w at 4 ohms and and gives 40 amps of current. Should be enough at least for playing at moderate levels. I haven´t heard how it performs, but if sounds similar with older models, sound should be more than ok. And the looks...It is suberb. =)

Last edited:
I have the Primare I21 driving Ascent i. I21 is the I30's little brother @ 75 / 125 watts 8 / 4 ohm
I like it a lot. My room is small though (12' x 13'), but the I21 has more than enough power for moderate to loud (not very loud) levels. Sound is fantastic, IMO.

Back