All Nordost cabling

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvitez

Reaction score
Well, upgradeitis has finally been assuaged. I'm almost out of cabling to replace! Here's my current setup:

Nordost Frey RCA's: CDP to preamp, preamp to power amp
Signal Cable Analog 2 with Eichmann copper bullets: phono stage to preamp, tuner to preamp
Nordost Frey 2M speaker cable
Nordost Brahma power cords: to CDP, preamp, power amp
Nordost Vishnu power cord: to phono stage
Nordost Valhalla power cord: to Furman conditioner
Nordost Shiva power cords: to both Summits

I'm hugely satisfied with the sound this (almost) all Nordost cabling has created. With each addition the sound got better. Probably the least increase was the speaker cables interestingly enough. I'm completely sold on their power cables. The Shivas made a small difference, but adding the Vishnu to the phono stage made a bigger improvement than adding the Frey IC to the power amp. I never believed power cords could make this much improvement. A/B-ing the Brahmas vs the Vishnus gave almost as much incrimental improvement as going from stock cords to the Vishnu.

Now, adding the Valhalla to the Furman. :bowdown: It's not hype. This the first time I have ever heard my, or any system for that matter, have holographic imaging from back to front. Side to side, sure. Not this. I was shocked when I heard the drum set 4ft BEHIND the piano using my Chesky Ultimate Demonstration Disc 2. I only got this once I added the Valhalla power cord after all the other Nordost cabling was installed.

Interestingly, the overall sound is "faster," and louder. I've turned the volume down one notch now. I'm not sure how to further describe "faster" but that's what I'm hearing, more lively, more natural, but not Chipmunks bizzare helium baloon faster. The highs are fabulous. Such exemplary inner detail. This is exactly the sound I was looking for.

I tried my Baldurs again in the phono stage, and still didn't like them. The treble was excellent, but the midrange was too quiet and receeded. Again it unbalanced the sound in my system.

I want to get a Frey RCA for the phono stage, and maybe a Brahma power cord for here. Next, I want to try a Vishnu feeding each Summit. I heard a slight difference with the Shivas, but the biggest difference in my components was going to the Vishnus.

Yikes this has been a lot of money, but everything I bought used, and I'm extremely happy with what it's done for my system. A whole system of Valhallas is definitely not in the cards, as I have to draw the line somewhere, but all this experimentation has been loads of fun. I love the Nordost sound!

Last edited:
Interestingly, the overall sound is "faster," and louder. I've turned the volume down one notch now. I'm not sure how to further describe "faster" but that's what I'm hearing, more lively, more natural, but not Chipmunks bizzare helium baloon faster.
Yes, that is interesting. I noticed the same thing when I made certain changes. I discussed this once with the owner of a hi-fi store, and he mentioned that he was discussing this with his wife, as he had noticed the same thing. She was incredulous, saying, "But the turntable is still going at the same speed as before!".

Great follow up! I'm figuring out how to complete the Nordost cables in my system, and your post has rekindled that fire! :)

Oh no, I've become an enabler!

At least this addiction lowers blood pressure, reduces stress, and improves dopamine and endorphine release, unlike other addictions. :D

There certainly is a lot of truth to the concept of cable consistancy when it comes to Nordost products. Usually its just a sales pitch, but not with these I've found.

Rich: good luck with the cable hunt!

Back