Affordable DAC

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shub

Reaction score
After reading the latest issue of Tone I have been looking at getting an affordable DAC.

Issue 20 has an article on the Cambridge Audio DacMagic. Great article and it has me thinking about getting one. I have also been checking out the Musical Fidelity V-DAC.

Just wanted to get some thoughts on this. I would be using this mainly for ripped music off my PC ( I am starting to rip all of my CD's to FLAC) and possibly to process music from my CD player. I have a Sony DVD jukebox.... It is not a "high-end" unit and I am thinking that the Cambridge DAC is probably of better quality than the one in my Sony or my receiver for that matter.

Just a little background as far as my setup:

Sony DVP-CX995 --> digital out --> Yamaha RXV-1700 --> Adcom GFA 545 --> ML Vista

PC --> USB to external Creative SoundCard --> Digital out --> Yamaha.....

Now since I am sending the signal to my receiver via the digital out, then the receiver is doing the D/A conversion. The model is a couple of years old but I would think the the DAC is ok (192khz/24bit).....

So.... couple of questions.....

Musical Fidelity vs. Cambridge Audio??
Will either one of these be a step up from the DAC's in my Yamaha??
Should I spend my money elsewhere :)

Thanks!

BTW -- TONEPUB.... I really enjoy your publication! It is a great read!!!

I believe that the DAC Magic is essentially the same DAC as utilized in my Cambridge Azur 840C CD player, which is terrific. It has multiple digital inputs which I use with other digital sources, especially my DVD player. 'Really makes a significant improvement. I don't think you could go wrong with the Cambridge piece. It's not just an excellent product; it's also a great value.

Hi,
You may want to check AA in digital as there is a new thread there now about these.
Best,
Bob

Shub,
I just picked up a DacMagic on the weekend and love it. I have ripped most of my CD collection (about 75% done) to Apple Lossless on my Mac and in the process of converting the remaining 25%.

Although I sold my Rega Apollo CD player months ago, I believe that the DacMagic slightly outperforms it. Extended dynamic range, good bass, smooth sound, great imaging. I now have out of my Mac what I used to get out of a $1200 Canadian CD player. BTW, I'm using wireless AirTunes and controlling via iPhone and have tested USB direct connectivity. I thought the USB was better but after further listening, it's pretty much the same.
Not sure about the Music Fidelity but I recommend the DacMagic whole heartedly. Definite improvement over my Rotel's internal DAC's (similar to your 192/24).

Same results from digital out from my Manrantz universal player. Since the Mac/iTunes/AirTunes combo works so well, I'll probably pack all of my CD's away and go all Mac.

I saw my dealer today to pick up a Grotto subwoofer and he informed me that the Canadian price just went up $100 and I was fortunate to get mine at the old price. They're selling like hot-cakes.

Ditto for TonePub/Jeff.. great publication!

Hope this helps.

Dac Magic

I believe that the DAC Magic is essentially the same DAC as utilized in my Cambridge Azur 840C CD player, which is terrific.

Actually it is not the same as the 840C, rather it is the same as the 740C.
Wolfson WMB8740 24-bit DAC's. Check out the March 2009 issue of Stereophile Magazine page 21. They interview Mathew Bramble, Cambridge's "technical guru" and cover this DAC.

At first I thought it was the same as the 840C and was really excited. I just ripped my CD collection to Apple Lossless and have still in the box, a Squeezebox Duet unit. I'm looking for a DAC. The Cambridge DAC sure looks like a great bargain. I was also looking at the Bryston BDA-1 DAC, but that's $2,000! The 840C is $1,600 I believe. I wanted to get away from loading CD's.

I would hate to buy a 840C or a Bryston BCD-1 CDP just to use as a DAC!!
I THINK the Bryston DAC uses the same circuit as their CDP, although their could be some differences with op amps via discrete devices . . . OK I have no clue what that means . . . I just read it in the Audio Advisor flyer :D

JM

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you learn something every day. I didn't know that the DAC in the 740C and 840C were that different. (Has anyone actually used both? It would be interesting to read someone's impressions who has compared them side by side.) I'm curious to read the article now that you've mentioned it. I love the 840C but chose it over the 740C for other reasons.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on this one

This looks interesting..... on the low end of the scale (price wise anyways) I think but interesting nonetheless....

Maybe I am a bit biased towards music from the computer. I think of it as the least quality source in my system so I am hesitant to pour too much money into it... I don't think the Cambridge is overkill... seems reasonably priced but the price onthis FUBAR thing is pretty enticing!!!

http://www.audiophileproducts.com/fubar2

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiocandy2/candy_3.html

Thoughts.....

Just an FYI, Jeff reviewed another affordable DAC a couple issues ago by PS Audio. It is the Digital Link III, it upsamples USB, Coax, and Optical to 96khz or 192khz. It is on sale right now at 30% off which is just 699 beans from PS Audio website or any of their dealers, it normally costs a grand, which Jeff said is a deal by itself. I got one strictly on Jeff's recommendation and he was right on the money, it really is a great piece with CDs, at least that is what I use it with. It has brought my CDs very close to SACD quality.

Last edited:
Musical Fidelity vs. Cambridge Audio??
Will either one of these be a step up from the DAC's in my Yamaha??
Should I spend my money elsewhere :)
Improvement? I would say absolutely an improvement.

Here is another suggestion or recommendation: I would check out the Channel Islands DAC (VDA-2). Make sure to get the additional outboard PS for it too from Channel Islands (VAC-1)

It was reviewed in Tone Audio Issue 17 Page 133 if looking for reviews on it.

BTW - CI Audio also offers 30 day trials of their products and Dusty is great to deal with.

As good as the DAC Magic is, the CI DAC with power supply is a few substantial clicks better in every respect. Very close to the sound of the PS Audio, but the CI does not offer a USB input, so that would be the deciding factor for me if I were purchasing the CI or the PS...

Both of those are on another level of refinement of the DAC Magic, but almost twice as much...

I came across a couple DAC from Peachtree Audio a while back. They're in the $700-1100 range--more than the Cambridge. Never heard of them before, but I believe 6moons is going to do a review of the Nova model, and spec-wise they sounded impressive. You can use it as a preamp too.

B-Stock

Looked at the PSAUdio site and the $300 discounts seems to apply only to B-STOCK models....... should that be of any concern??

Bjarni

I wouldn't care if it were B stock at all, however, my receipt says nothing about B stock... It just says "Special".

Go to "Packages and Specials" and enter your email addy. You'll be taken to the special price of 699 where there is no mention of it being b-stock.

Last edited:
The PS Audio looks great and has the reviews to substantiate it.
Any comments on the PS Audio versus the Benchmark?

The PS Audio looks great and has the reviews to substantiate it.
Any comments on the PS Audio versus the Benchmark?

You might want to do a search. Joey_V used to have the PS Audio dac and I know he posted about it on this forum. Don't recall if the Benchmark came into the discussion, however, I do remember that other members of the forum were or currently are using the Benchmark (Dreamer being one of them) at that time.

The Benchmark is in the same general vicinity of the PS Audio, sound wise.

What the Benchmark offers, that may or not be of use (and warrant additional expense) is the built in headphone amp that is actually quite good, and the variable outputs from the front panel volume control.

I always find the Benchmark really handy to use for troubleshooting as it's essentially a very small portable linestage.

However, if you don't need the headphone amp or variable output levels for anything, you won't be disappointed with the PS....

They are both excellent at their price point.

As good as the DAC Magic is, the CI DAC with power supply is a few substantial clicks better in every respect. Very close to the sound of the PS Audio, but the CI does not offer a USB input, so that would be the deciding factor for me if I were purchasing the CI or the PS...

Both of those are on another level of refinement of the DAC Magic, but almost twice as much...

PS Audio just introduced their Perfect Wave DAC at $2,999:eek: Maybe they are going to discontinue the Digital Link III. I just received the Music Direct flier today and they have a trade in offer on your old DAC worth up to $1,000on the new DAC.

I have a sqeezebox Duet (still in the box as I mentioned previously) until I buy a DAC. There are TOO many to chose from :confused:

I don't like the wall wart that I believe the Cambridge DAC comes with, although I see CIA makes a power supply now for the squeezbox. It's more than I paid for the Duet itself at $279.

So a couple of choices are:

CIA VDA-2 DAC $599.00 plus the VDC-SB power supply at $279.00 ($878.00 total) plus my sqeezebox.

PS Audio Digital Link III (no power supply needed right?) at $699.00

Bryston DAC at $2,000. Is it that much better? Any one heard the Bryston DAC?

JM

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back