Aerius problem

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles Lee

Reaction score
I bought Aerius in LA and I brought it to Korea several years ago.
I didn't listen to music through the speaker for a long time because of my busy work. Recently, I tried to listen to music connecting the Aerius to my amplifier. By the way, one speaker's panel was not working.

I read the article that we can clean the panel to revive the sound.
Please teach me the way to clean the Aerius panel. I couldn't find any distributor in Korea. It is nearly brand new one. I didn't use it.
Please help me.

Firstly... Search is your friend:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=604

Secondly...

Your speakers are not "nearly brand new" just because they've not been used. You can take a brand new pair of MLs and put them in a sauna for 6 months and I'm pretty sure they'll sound like shit when you want to take them out and play them. Meaning, the environment your speakers are stored in has a lot to do with the longevity of the panels.

Thirdly...

Before you shower them, please tell us some more about how they were stored and what exactly is happening when you try to play music thru them and what steps you've taken to determine that it is indeed the panel that is at fault.

My gut tells me that if the panel is not working AT ALL, that dirt on the panel is not the problem.

Last edited:
Agreed Tom. The first thing that ran through my mind was "what is the electrical standard (voltage and frequency) in South Korea"? If the OP bought them in LA then they are set up for 115-120V/60Hz. I'm thinking Korea is 110V/50Hz, so the electronics probably wouldn't work at all.

Tim, I get the impression that it used to work in the past, and that he now has a problem with only one speaker, i.e. It is not an electrical standard problem.

Charles, have you tried swapping speakers, cables, etc?

Power in South Korea is 110V/60Hz so I wouldn't think that's the problem. Especially since he said it's only one of the panels.

Thanks a lot.

Thank you so much for the information.

One panel is completely not working. It sounds very little.
At the first time, two panels were not working normally but one panel started to sound after about 2 weeks when I established to listen to music.

So, I think I had problem with custody. I have hope if I clean the panel it will be revived.

We use AC 220V/60Hz in Korea but our electricity company provides 110V/60Hz to use old electronic appliances if we want. I think the power is no problem.

Of course, I changed cable, amp connection, etc. One panel that sounds very little is okay with woofer.

Please inform me if I chean the panel like the manual.

I read the manual.
I have a question. When I clean the panel, should I use only water? or can I use cleaner or soap with water?

Last edited:
Charles, there are instructions on this site on cleaning panels, but before you do that I suggest that you do more troubleshooting. For a start you should swap panels between speakers to see if the panel is at fault. At that time check the connection of the wires to the panel. I had a panel go dead on me, and it turned out that a wire came loose on the panel. After I soldered it back on everything worked okay.

To disassemble a speaker you first have to take off the rails on the side. I don't know whether the rails slide up or down, but after laying the speaker back down take a rubber mallet and first tap the top of a rail in the downward direction; if the rail does not come loose try tapping the bottom. After both rails come off undo the wires from the terminal block and pull off the panel. Check the wires soldered to the panel. If they are secure, swap the panels, reassemble the speakers, and testthem again.

Aerius question

I disassembled Aerius speaker to revive the sound as the manual.
I found 4 lines that links to the panel.
It's black, blue, blue, red.
By the way, red line didn't influence sound.

1. Please tell me about the function of the each line.
(I don't know how to upload the picture data.)

2. I unpluged AC code from the Aerius speaker but it didn't change anything.
Is it normal if we don't provide AC power to Aerius it don't sound.

I assembled Aerius after cleaning by water.
It is much better than the previous but one panel still sounds less than another.

Hi!

Contact Russ from ESL repair. http://eslrepair.com/default.aspx
He fixed my Aerius Panels and result was outstanding. Treatment costs about 200 usd + shipping. I had same problem with panels. Now they act very well.
I also replaced bass units with new pair of Peerles sls 8 speakers. They work very well with original construction. Only very little tweek is needed with installation. And sound is awsome!

I'm confused. Charles says that after he washed the panel it sounded better; however he also states that when he unplugged power from the speaker it changed nothing, which points to a possible power supply problem so that the panel is not getting power. But if that were the case, washing would not have helped.

Charles, I suggested before that you try swapping panels between speakers. Did you try that? And yes, the speakers do require power to work.

Teach me how to repair the Aerius panel

I am very upset.
I found that one Aerius network board doesn't work. It didn't provide DC 290V to the panel connector so I disassembled the speker box and changed a Triac (MAC97A8) after waiting 3 days to get it from the shop. The board is okay but the panel didn't work yet. I confirmed another normal panel works in the network board that I repaired.

I have no choice I have to try to disassemble the panel.
It is not change regardless providing 290V to the red panel connector. It sounds very small compare to another normal panel. Please teach me how to disassemble the Aerious panel or where I can buy very cheap. As I told, here is Seoul, Korea.

Back