Aerius makes noise :(

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasha

Reaction score
Few days ago I noticed sudden noise appearing from my Aerius panels. When they wake up from standby, they output enough noise to make me uncomfortable. Noise is also a bit 'sparkly' with lets say electrical feel to the noise. When I unplug them, they continue to make noise, and after half a minute or so, they slowly fade out. What could be wrong? :(
Vacuuming helps? It's been a while since I vacuumed them, I do not own the vacuum cleaner, we wash our floors :rolleyes:

Help :eek:

You very definitely should start by vacuuming them. I don't know if a can of compressed air will do the same thing.

Dude -- Unplug them for 24 hours. This allows the membrane to completely discharge. This makes it so the membrane releases the dust from its electrostatic hold. Then take the vacuum cleaner to them, being sure not to use the brush or anything else that might scratch or poke a hole in them. I use an upholstery head on the hose. Pay attention to the edges and the top of each horizontal spar. Do the front and back.

Plug them back in, and light 'em up with your favorite tunes. If this procedure doesn't at least mitigate the crackling sound, then you may have to wash the panels in the shower (yes -- it works) or think about replacement if that start-up noise bothers you that much. Mind you, that it is harmless...

If you do opt to call ML on this, they will most likely recommend replacing the power supply. Your speakers did not come with the music sensing circuit, so a slight charge is left on the film at all times which make them suck up dust and pet dander. This is a worthwhile upgrade -- I did it on my Sequel IIs, which are of the same generation as the Aerius.

Hope this helps

~VDR

Last edited:
Some Aerius did come with music sensing power supplies. It is on all speakers built after a certain month in 1993. Check the serial number using the decoder on this website and see when they were made. If it is January 1994 or after then you definitely already have music sensing power supplies.

Dude -- Unplug them for 24 hours. This allows the membrane to completely discharge. This makes it so the membrane releases the dust from its electrostatic hold. Then take the vacuum cleaner to them, being sure not to use the brush or anything else that might scratch or poke a hole in them. I use an upholstery head on the hose. Pay attention to the edges and the top of each horizontal spar. Do the front and back.

Plug them back in, and light 'em up with your favorite tunes. If this procedure doesn't at least mitigate the crackling sound, then you may have to wash the panels in the shower (yes -- it works) or think about replacement if that start-up noise bothers you that much. Mind you, that it is harmless...

If you do opt to call ML on this, they will most likely recommend replacing the power supply. Your speakers did not come with the music sensing circuit, so a slight charge is left on the film at all times which make them suck up dust and pet dander. This is a worthwhile upgrade -- I did it on my Sequel IIs, which are of the same generation as the Aerius.

Hope this helps

~VDR

I've yet to scratch or puncture the 'branes with a vacuum brush, but I guess it is possible. Use the strongest vacuum you can, I use a big shop vac as it is very difficult, according to JP to damage the 'branes with a vacuum.

Yes, my Aerius have music sensing circuit. It is a nice feature.

I still didn't get a vacuum cleaner, working my ass off, don't have time to get one, and the problem is hanging over my head and pressing me around chest area :rolleyes:

I sure hope this is the solution... If I have to replace panels it won't be pleasant, I am from Croatia, and the service here is not so great I'm affraid... too bad...

Back