Adding a power amp to receiver really makes a difference

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmstpierre

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I recently acquired a pair of theos (as per previous post) and will probably go with an onkyo 3009 or 5009. I was wondering if adding a emotive xpa5 , and biwire the theos with the xpa5 (and use the rest of the receiver amplification to power the rest of system and secon zone) will massively improve the sound and do the theos justice, or does the onkyo receiver quite fine. M just a little bit worried that it s fine for movies and occasional music, but on week ends I pretty much have the music going all day long, then watch the news, then movies and affraid that the onkyo, by itself may run out of steam....
All advised welcome.
I decided to go with the onkyo flagship receivers as it s feature pack and most importantly it s got xt32. I guess the denon 4311.
Regards
John

Have you thought about going with separates? As technology changes, you'll be able to swap out just the processor. Later on, you can upgrade the amps as you travel down the road to sonic nirvana. That's what a lot of us have done.

Here's a starter system. 5 Channels.

Integra DHC 40.2 Processor - $1200
Emotiva Xpa2 - $799 (mains)
Emotiva XPa3 - $699 (center & 2 surrounds)

Just a thought.. Good luck.

The XPA-5 will give you a true 200 watts all channels driven that the receiver will not. Will you notice the change? In my case, I have an older Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX rated at 130 watts and was reviewed as one of the few receivers actually capable of producing its rated power all channels driven. I added an XPA-3 and found absolutely no change or improvement. Like you, I have been considering the Onkyo 5009 but am leaning to the Yamaha 3010 instead. Has less power but far better reliability. Recommend you read up on AVSForum on the Onkyo models you are considering for actual owners comments. I recommend you purchase a receiver and try it first without an added amp. Remember it takes a dramatic increase in power to get a noticable increase in sound levels. I would suggest that you go for 2 or 3 channels of at least 300 watts to power the fronts to get any real benefit and let the receiver power the surrounds.

Last edited:
Hi peterK and TomDac

thanks for your input and advice. I did consider going the processor/power amp track but seems a bit more expensive well at least here in australia.
not sure if i still can get a integra 40.2 and the price for the onkyo 5509 processor is about $3500 plus one xpa5 +xpa3 shipped to australia and local tax is another $2200 for a total of $5700.
onkyo 3009 plus xpa5 will set me back $3800.
the third optionb is buying a onkyo kit which consist of the 5509 processor and the mc 5501 power amp which is on special at $4300..does the onkyo power amp do justice to the theos. I guess i can always bi wire the theos with the onkyo pro/power kit. but i can also do that with the onkyo receiver and the xpa5..I seem to be going round and round with this..will the xpa biwired into the theos be far superior to using the onkyo power amp..??
Peter, m really supprised you barely noticed a difference at all by adding the xpa...it puts my whole reasonning into doubt now...is it a case that the xpa3 is not living to the hype it s been getting or simply that the piuoneer is that good???
thanks again guys
hope to read from you soon with some comments and advice..

My older Pioneer Elite sold for about $4200 and has a very large and heavy power supply. These new receivers weigh at least 20# less so the amp sections have been cut back unless you are looking at one with Class D power. I am sure you would notice a benefit if looking at $500 receivers but there are diminishing returns when looking at top of the line models. Like you, i got caught up in all the postings about adding external amps to receivers but i am just cautioning you that if looking at premium receivers, you may not really notice a change. Now please understand, I am all for more power! Looking at Wired4Sound 500 watt amps right now!! In reality, the most noticable sound improvement is from selecting speakers like you have. If you haven't already, adding quality subwoofer(s) will make another very noticable improvement and will take more of the load off of the receiver.

The Yamaha 3010 I read only produces around 65 watts all channels driven even though it is rated around 130 for 2 channel use. Not sure what the Onkyo tests at.

Oh and if you are leaning to the big Onkyo due to its future 4k compatibility, that may be already a bypassed video standard as an 8k plasma is currently be shown by Panasonic.

FWIW, I can't imagine 4K technology will be a viable consumer product (competitive pricing for the masses) for several years.

By that time, your AVR that is 4K compatible, will likely be outdated.

Regarding watts, it's not the number but the quality that counts.

GG

hi guys..
m not really worried about 4k, but more xt32..although i read that xt32 is great for lower frequencies and subs, but will noit have a sub in the system, so may get away with something else... i will only use the front, surrounds and may be rears.
so what do you guys recommand in terms of amplification and receivers..is it worth bi amping..
i got an email from emotiva stating that the xpa2 would outperform the xpa5 biamped, but on the same token the xpa1 would make those theos sing like they deserve.
the only thing that worries me with emotiva, is what happens if i get a faulty unit or worse, both...is it up to me to send them for repair back to the factory. it s already costin me $550 to have 2 xpa1 shipped here, don t really want to spend another $550 to send them back

For what it's worth, I've had an Emotiva XPA 7 and two UPA 1's. All three amps worked like a champ when they arrived and for years afterwards.
They were a significant improvement over the Pioneer Elite receiver I was using with my Vantages...

hi topfroc
thanks for your input and advice on the emotiva gear..m sure it ll be fine, but i am just cautious. m gladto read that adding the emotiva amp was a massive improvement over the elite.that s what m hoping for..

well i got an email from emotiva today stating in the case of malfunction on arrival or within the warranty period they will ship spare parts at their own cost and i can choose a repairer of my choice.. i guess that makes me feel a bit more confident about ordering something from overseas...
i was alo looking at some anthem amps..Any of you ever tried the mca20.i may also consider the option of going anthem mrx500 and a mca20 to power the theos..
regards

Back