Adding a Dynamo 1000 to my Vantages - Any setup advice?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topofroc

Reaction score
I just ordered an ML Dynamo 1000 sub to supplement the Vantages in my 2 channel system. While I've had a couple lesser subs in the past, I never really took the time to set them up properly (other than the famous "sub crawl" technique).

Does anybody have some suggestions or tips on how to best mate the Dynamo with the Vantages? What would be a good frequency to cross over the sub? What are some simple techniques for setting the sub gain (just use an SPL meter?)

Any suggestions would be helpful...

Hello,
I own Vantages as well and use an 80hz Crossover Point using a Descent i and Depth. When I ran Audyssey MultEQ XT32, I put my Vantages, Stage, and Vistas at 40hz, but I immediately changed it to 80hz for all channels.

If you have a 30 Day Return Policy, you really might want to consider a used Grotto, or Depth. Especially the Depth be it the i version or not is utterly amazing. It offers all of the Technology of the Descent for a good bit less money. Simply in another class than the Dynamo with it being Servo Controlled, using Tri Linear Driver Array and Balanced Force. The Grotto would also be great as it uses a single 10" Aluminum Woofer from the Descent and is also Servo Controlled.
Cheers,
JJ

Jungle Jack,
Thanks for the reply. I settled on the Dynamo instead of the Grotto or Depth for a few reasons. Firstly, I live in a 1 bedroom NY apartment with my patient, but minimalist-leaning wife. The Grotto and the Depth are way too big for our place, and I wouldn't be able to use 1/3 of the bass they produce without the neighbors calling the cops. The Dynamo 1000 is small (fits behind our couch) but has a 12in cone, so it can still move decent amounts of air. Second, I got a pretty good deal on it (30% off). I've seen a couple used Grottos in that price range (ignoring the size and output issues), but no Depths.

No doubt, the Grotto/Depth/Descent are superior performers. However, I think the Dynamo 1000 is the best compromise for my needs. I received the Dynamo earlier this week and so far have been quite pleased with the performance...

On a related note, I would like to ask if anyone has used the Room Equalizer Wizard (REW) software?
Its a free download I found on another board. It allows you to analyze the performance of your room with frequency sweeps. Using REW, an SPL meter, and a tripod, I was able to blend in the Dynamo in with the Vantages nicely. I'm still futzing with it though, but am pleased so far. Using a higher cross-over (110Hz) with corner placement allowed me to overcome some nasty peaks in the 70Hz and 120Hz range with the Vantages alone. BTW - I'm running a 2.1 system with a tube integrated amp with no internal bass management. I kind of like it that way, because it simplifies everything (no competing cross-overs).

I've always had trouble mating a sub with main speakers (hence the reason for this post). The REW software helped a lot...

BTW - I'm not affiliated with REW in any way. I'm just sharing something that I found online that worked for me. YMMV...

Back