A Travesty!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zero

Reaction score
So I was flipping through the channels early in the AM when something caught my eye on HGTV. No, it wasn't a new and exciting remodel of some exclusive vacation home. What caught my eye was something much better - a set of Martin Logan Aerius towers! It brought me enough excitement to really showcase what a geek I am about this stuff. I just love it when hi-fi worms its way onto the big screen. So far - so good right?

Sure, all until Mrs. Interior Make-over lady decided to remove those "ugly, big speakers :eek: " from the room. So what took the Logan's place? A lovely HTIB box system, with the speakers carefully set inside a bookshelf with the components tucked inside a cabinet. :(

One can only hope this gentlemen had another space already planned for his Logan's. *Takes a moment of silence to reflect on the travesty above*

Fantastic!!

Not....

I bet that right after the show aired, he snuck the MLs back into the room somehow. An audiophile will always be an audiophile!

Watching some of those make-over shows (why do I do it to myself?), only ends up with me feeling frustrated with the somewhat vacuous presenters.

I like (not!) the way these presenters initially seek the homeowners view, then simply switch to bulldozer mode, implementing their own silly ideas, regardless of good taste and commen sense... :stop:

Maybe Mrs. Interior Make-over lady would like to paint the panels magnolia, so that they blend with the bland decor.
Fit a pot of plants on top of them, or (if possible) cover them with drapes.

...And perhaps create MDF boxes to conceal those ugly Krell monoblocs:D

Sure, all until Mrs. Interior Make-over lady decided to remove those "ugly, big speakers :eek: " from the room. So what took the Logan's place? A lovely HTIB box system, with the speakers carefully set inside a bookshelf with the components tucked inside a cabinet. :(

How do you think that Bose was invented??? The leading choice of interior designers everywhere!

LOL

How do you think that Bose was invented??? The leading choice of interior designers everywhere!

LOL

Bose was invented when Dr. Amar Bose determined that we only hear 1/9 of the sound pattern directly in a concert hall. The other 8/9 of the soundfield is reflected, according to Dr. Bose. His "research" resulted in the Bose 901. This was a very highly regarded speaker by the mass-market HiFi magazines in the '60's. Real audiophiles never thought much of it, however. The reputation that he gained from those early reviews allowed him to lay claim to the other developments that made him a mass-market favorite - not to mention inferior decorators.

Bose "success" is a triumph of marketing over substance. :(

Stop pickin' of Dr. Blows. His company is successful because he offers consumers what they want. The fact that they don't know any better is not his fault, it is their own. He is simply practicing capitalism.

Bose was invented when Dr. Amar Bose determined that we only hear 1/9 of the sound pattern directly in a concert hall. The other 8/9 of the soundfield is reflected, according to Dr. Bose. His "research" resulted in the Bose 901. This was a very highly regarded speaker by the mass-market HiFi magazines in the '60's. Real audiophiles never thought much of it, however. The reputation that he gained from those early reviews allowed him to lay claim to the other developments that made him a mass-market favorite - not to mention inferior decorators.

Hola Chicos...also, the distortion of the reflecting 901s Bose speakers seems to be less, and because of their need of an equalizer that boosts over 30dBs at high frequency and 20 dBs at 50Hz, did the job. A pair of 901s well seted delivered a lot of energy...and somehow clean when was compared to others at the same presure level. But when you are serious regarding the good sound, size of the instruments, and great stage...high end speakers kill them, erase them from the face of the earth...we use different material to judge the behavior of speakers and their sound...we do not judge just for the energy or how good the bass, mids or highs are...we use the truth! We use the real instruments playing for us in our own place...and we demand to have them as if they would be there...like having the musician(s) playing for us, not just a recording...it is not fair to compare them to ML...just begining with our stat panels, that weights less than the air that it moves, it is the most fastest diaphragm, making this to move as fast as the applied electrical signal to it, and will stop moving as fast as when the signal ends, because of no mass at all...happy listening,
Roberto.

Funny story - thanks for posting. I too, am sure he snuck his MLs back after the show aired!

Bose on the other hand - I do have respect for them. They don't produce high end sound, but they don't profess to produce high end sound. What they do is produce a superior product to S**y, P****eer, S*****ng, Pan******c, et al. That, you have got to give them credit for. They also manage to do it in a package that is easy to use and easy on the eye.

Put it this way - I am in this hobby for the music. Simple as that. If I was deprived of music and was only able to watch movies, I'd be perfectly happy with Bose or some other HTIB. Another example would be if I had my 'Logans in one room for listening, I'd be perfectly happy with a theatre in another room with lesser electronics / speakers.

The point is - it's sad, but not all people are into music. Just like I'm not into movies. They're perfectly happy with HTIB.

Last edited:
Well, I'm in it for the music as well...but after hearing the clarity of an ML HT setup, I could not go back to a HTIB system. The clarity of the dialog is amazing to me. I can actually understand actor's dialog without blasting the volume to uncomfortable levels.

As for the decorating shows, I would be really impressed if they could perform an aesthetic make over, while also maintaining or even enhancing the acoustics of the setup.

The legacy of those TV shows is that "house wife" clients think that the tools used to show the designs such as computer illustration and computer animation are superior to hand drawings.

All they see or know is the product they are shown on TV and don't know any better or different.

When I suggested to the "house wife" that there is knowledge, experience and a process to follow which accounts for good design; I obvioussly did not know my stuff and should quote "get with the times".

No sh1t, can't make this stuff up.

All the housewife really wanted to know if there is another "program" she could use to design her own home addition as the one she purchased did not: Show anything to do with code, structure, wall thickness.........flow, proper room sizes etc.............

Well, it's that whole knowlege and experience thing I told you about I said........no, no it's a computer thing, I saw it on TV she said.

The longest phone call ever.:D

As for the decorating shows, I would be really impressed if they could perform an aesthetic make over, while also maintaining or even enhancing the acoustics of the setup.

HAHAHAHAHA - how many times I've thought that.

I cringe when I watch those shows - "But they're 5crewing up the acoustics!!" I yell, as they're pulling up the carpet and putting down high-gloss tiles, etc.

Here's a bit of trivia. What sit com showed a pair of ML's in numerous episodes? The ML speakers were later replaced by some other brand. Idon't believe it done was by the designer lady.

A. Seinfeld
B. Friends
C. According to Jim
D. King of Queens
E. Everybody Loves Raymond
F. None of the above

Last edited:
Friends and B&W

Friends also featured a pair of book shelf B&W speakers in the girls apartment I understand... some wonky bubbly blue ones that I have never heard but have occasionally seen... perhaps someone of the props crew just wanted decent sound between takes ;)

Back