A new way to audition gear

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonepub

Reaction score
As we have had some very good discussion in the Wilson thread, I am curious and have been talking to a lot of industry people about how we can find a way to get more equipment in front of all of you guys in the audience.

CES doesn't really work that well for the consumer, because it's so busy and it's so much of a business to business show. Not to mention pretty spendy.

RMAF isn't bad, but getting spendier every year and now that it's getting busier, it gets harder to see what you want to see.

The dealer thing can go from really good to really awful for all the obvious reasons.

The best solution is to take the stuff home and try it there, but this isn't always practical for size and cost reasons.

Anybody got a great idea?

Also, would any of you be interested in an industry sponsored event that was more music related, even if the gear showcased wasn't all to your liking? Curious at this time, but who knows where it will lead....

Tough question, Jeff...

I guess increasing local demos and events would be one way to start. I get these emails/mails from local dealers once in a long while - stating "Wilson Event" or "Thiel Event"...

But they are so few and far between..... if there were more local events, that would entice a larger audience (total) to participate and audition gear they may not have had the chance to otherwise.

Joey

The dealer thing can go from really good to really awful for all the obvious reasons.

The best solution is to take the stuff home and try it there, but this isn't always practical for size and cost reasons....

Jeff, home audition is indeed a great option, as it allows the customer to hear in the prospective setting, with their own music and equipment for an extended period (not just 20 minutes or so).

The downside is that setup errors, room issues and other similar problems might diminish the performance assessment of the gear in question. Especially for speakers. But in the end, it’s this customer, using his expertise and equipment that will setup the great and be satisfied or not.

So yes, in-home is probably the best bet for getting people to really see/hear what a piece of gear will do in *their* setting.

Roger Sanders seems to have good luck with this model, offering 30 day in-home trials.

I do realize that Shipping a 100+ ML speaker around is going to cost serious coin, so in-home trial could cost close to $500 once it’s all said and done if you don’t keep them.
On the other hand, it both an incentive to keep them (good for the vendor) or if you really don’t like them, return them for less than you’d lose listing them on the ‘Gon (good for the consumer). Plus it creates B-Stock, which is good for the next (cheap) consumer ;)

Anybody got a great idea?

Sure, how about vendors recognize that sites and members of sites like the MLOF are some of their best advocates and most effective sellers and create some programs to leverage these awesome resources?

This site is covered with threads were member A introduces member B to some new piece of gear or approach and soon enough, members C, F and N are all on board as well.

One of the best approaches might be to sponsor in-home listening sessions for prospective purchasers.
This works well for the kilo and mega-buck product lines (like ML speakers, high-end amps, etc.), as these consumers will likely have good setups with matching gear in somewhat dedicated rooms.

Not that any of us wants to become a constant ‘demo room’ for vendors, but a few times a year, I’d be happy to give some prospective ML owner (suitably vetted) a demo of the system.
No hard sales pitch, a chance to hear the speakers in an idealized setting (acoustically treated dedicated room), with a relaxed environment.

In exchange, I’d expect the program to offer those willing to share, some points program that provides discounts on manufacturers products. I for one, would not mind getting good discount on a pair of CLX’s in exchange for some demo time ;)

Bottom line, there are many, many things a community of interested owners can do for a vendor. Already the MLOF provides free support, great post-sales setup and usage advice, outstanding product advocacy (and yes, some criticism, but that balances the presentation and makes the positives credible). It even features a fun lunatic fringe (led by yours truly) that mods the heck out of the products for ultimate performance.

Yet the vendor is conspicuously absent in their direct (and sometimes indirect) support of the community.
The factory tour and invite was a great move, and provided tons of good will, cemented the loyalty of those of us that went and educated those attending to a new level.
However, not much else has been done since.

Here are a few things ML could do to leverage this community better:

Loaner program:

In exchange for a commitment to host a weekend ‘open house’ show for pre-registered (and vetted) attendees, provide a MLOF member of good standing a set of new model speakers to demo for a month with a discount option to buy that gear at end as well.

So for what they would sell a unit to a dealer, they get a free demo to highly qualified prospects, put those prospects in personal touch with an impartial (well ,not sales driven) advocate and gain even further good-will from that advocate as they enjoy their new-model units.

Even if the units are returned, the good-will factor remains, the exposure remains and any round could well result in new sales to the prospects (including the sale of the ‘demo’ units).

Imagine what the Tampa or Chicago circuit could do with a pair CLX’s on loan (besides an all-out fight for who gets to host them ;) ) - Two weekend demos plus I’m sure lots of MOF-member hang-time at the hosting home would surely sell a couple of units. The Demo’s themselves might be offered to either the host or to one of the propsects, so further shipping is minimized. Win-win.

Loyalty program

I wont say too much here, this is basic marketing. What car vendors offer for referrals and such is a decent model.
I’ve sold at least five or so ML sets, but never got any recognition. Just the satisfaction of having one more set of awesome speakers out there. But it would be nice…

There’s more, but time to go earn some coin to pay for this habit, er, hobby…

Loyalty program

I wont say too much here, this is basic marketing. What car vendors offer for referrals and such is a decent model.
I’ve sold at least five or so ML sets, but never got any recognition. Just the satisfaction of having one more set of awesome speakers out there. But it would be nice…

I LOVE Emotiva for this- you purchase one of their processors when a newer model comes out they offer a repeat buyer 40% off! That is so awesome on their behalf! Imagine if Classe or McIntosh or (insert favorite brand name here) would be willing to offer that! It might get more of the middle class into the hi-fi world and thus more money and better image.

Also, would any of you be interested in an industry sponsored event that was more music related, even if the gear showcased wasn't all to your liking? ....
Very definitely; it's all about the music, after all, regardless of the quality of the equipment. I would rather listen to Beethoven on Bose than rap on Logans. Also, I'm always on the lookout for new music.

Last edited:
I too would love the home demo with a discount on new ML speakers. However I run CLS now and its a demo of Antiques as some would say!(Id still put them up against any new design ) Any one of you if in the area are welcome to come on over for a good listening session.

The Dealer demo is a dying thing. Most dealers do not have the full line or most of the upper lines. Its just not a big seller for most. I have been to a few shops with the top of the line equipment and would definitely go back and pay a few extra $ for their service and time.

I think smaller shows sponsored by ML at dealers will draw a bigger crowed. I would go to my local dealer for a ML day to see their new latest gear.
It may not be your home but its the only way to initally hear such equipment.

Doing home demos is a crap shoot. Most dealers do not have 10K speakers to loan out. Some do but they are rare. Then you run the risk of damage to them in transit. That is the same for the Roger Sanders deal. Shipping is hard enough ,let alone ship a set to demo.

I do think ML is listening and watches quietly and takes what we say and absorbs it to the fullest !

Last edited:
Lets turn the situation on its head . . .
Myself, and probably many, many others ask themselves when considering an equipment purchase: What kind of improvement, if any, can be gained over the equipment (I) already have? Home demos of equipment would be the optimum method were not economics and logistics a consideration.
Therefore, instead of having to spend time and money earning a personal reputation good enough to have dealers trust a home demo-er, or the buyer wasting valuable time arranging for the aformentioned demo, or the dealer/seller wasting resources for all the aformentioned reasons, have a place specifically where demo-ing could be done.
Imagine, all audio stores having a specific room with reference systems composed of their manufacturers equipment, or where the trade-ins are set up, for you to bring in your component and see the differences.
The industy could sponser these rooms and have standards such as room size and acoustics, power requirments, and even bench test equipment/operators to even out the many variables that a home demo couldn't account for. Throw in some means for blind testing for those who feel it is nescessary.
Sure, some dealers will be willing to hook up your stuff if all the social and economical obligations have been met, but this would be on a larger more accessable scale, like a learnig center or such.
Yup - buy a $XX.xx comparison room session, mix and match to your hearts content, and possibly buy the make and model that proved itself TO YOU.

The industy could sponser these rooms and have standards such as room size and acoustics, power requirments, and even bench test equipment/operators to even out the many variables that a home demo couldn't account for. Throw in some means for blind testing for those who feel it is nescessary.
This of course would translate into higher component costs. Someone wold have to pay for those roome, and that someone would be the consumer.

This of course would translate into higher component costs. Someone wold have to pay for those roome, and that someone would be the consumer.

Initially, maybe so. But eventually, if the model works, would possibly generate much more walk-ins, and if the dealer components are really superior, increased sales. And less money on the consumer's end spent on "snake oil".
Besides, a fee would be required for the use, nothing phenominal, to offset the operating costs. there wold be tons of ways to do this, subscriptions, offset fees as deposits or discounts, etc. Never underestimate the power of capitolism when backed by a quality, proven product.
Case in point - speed shops for cars and bikes have dyno's you can hire, regardless if (you) bought their products or not. Eventually (you) will.

Back