A gnat landed on my Summit panel while in use... Guess what happened to him?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
We were watching TV and I saw a little gnat land on the panel of one of my Summits... A second later there was a tiny spark and then some static coming from the speaker.

Upon closer inspection, I saw the dead insect stuck to the mylar - crispy fried.

I unplugged them overnight, gave them a good vaccuum and they were back to normal.

In all my years of ML ownership (24 and counting), I've never seen this!!

We were watching TV and I saw a little gnat land on the panel of one of my Summits... A second later there was a tiny spark and then some static coming from the speaker.

Upon closer inspection, I saw the dead insect stuck to the mylar - crispy fried.

I unplugged them overnight, gave them a good vaccuum and they were back to normal.

In all my years of ML ownership (24 and counting), I've never seen this!!

A great post, I am always paranoid about a drop of water hitting the screens....................:confused:

Wow. I wonder if that will work for mosquitos. Might have to put my old Ascents in the back yard for some music/insect frying next summer.

Wow Tom......as Rich said, one hell of a 'bug zapper' !

Not sure what music would best attract mosquitos, but for gnats, I'd go with Nat King Cole. :D

I can tell, you can blast even bigger insects. Once, there was an impressive spider sitting right in the center of one of my CLS stators. It escaped my notice and so I switched on the amp. High voltage supply started up and caused the spider to explode, resulting in a big slimy spot at the mylar. The panel was gone and nothing helped to make it work again. Had to go for a pair of new ones....

Not sure what music would best attract mosquitos, but for gnats, I'd go with Nat King Cole. :D

Oh, for the finale to the event, that'll have to be Frank Zappa..

Last edited:
One time I was sitting flicking through cd's with the wife and kept hearing a sizzle and it turned out it was the hair on my head getting fried because I had hair spray on. The little stands kept getting fried

Back