A few tubes...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowGEEZR

Reaction score
So, I get this email from "sebrof" that says (paraphrased), "maybe we should see if my new Manley Stingray can make your speakers sound good." "Sb6" said, "I'm in", so we did. Here's the Manley, not yet hooked up.
DSC04532-M.jpg

We listened and really liked the sound. I was surprised at how loudly the speakers played even in triode mode (20wpc). We felt it was pushing a little hard at loud levels, so Mike says (paraphrasing again), "We oughtta bring Steve's big monobloc 200wpc jobbies over and see how they sound." So we did. Rain and all. Here's a pic of Steve and Mike setting them up.
DSC04530-M.jpg

The sound was great and flowed effortlessly. We even listened to some Pink Floyd at very loud levels. Here are some more pics..
DSC04535-M.jpg

DSC04534-M.jpg

DSC04531-M.jpg

Here's a shot showing Steve's preamp and power supply.
DSC04537-M.jpg

With both amps we listened in triode and ultra linear. With the Antique Sound Labs, we even used 4 ohm and 8 ohm connections. What was interesting is that all modes sounded good, but each mode or connection (8 or 4 ohm) had some affect on the sound. Which was best? Who knows. They were all just different flavors of good sound. I think it would take living with the amps in each configuration for some bit of time, in order to find what would be the most preferred sound. I think with both amps that ultralinear was best for rock, as it seemed to have more bite. Here's a pic of Steve's pre and amps with the overhead lights off.
DSC04536-M.jpg

After a long listening session, we decided to hook back up my Jolida.
DSC04533-M.jpg

Here was yet another flavor, similar to the ASL's in triode mode. Kinda interesting. We decided that all three (four if you count the monoblocs as two) amps sounded pretty darn good and we had a great time; especially for being sorta impromptu. Thanks guys for bringing over the equipment!:rocker:

Steve,

What's the preamp in the 6th and 7th pictures?

What Pink Floyd did you listen to?

CJ?

GG

Looks good Steve, but I must admit...........I get a back ache just looking at how low your tt is, trust me it would be Worlds better if it were another 2' higher or so.

Looks good Steve, but I must admit...........I get a back ache just looking at how low your tt is, trust me it would be Worlds better if it were another 2' higher or so.

I do need to get another shelf for that rack but, there is no problem with the current set up, as the tonearm is only 5 or 6 inches below my waist. Believe me, with my lousy lower back, I couldn't tolerate it if I had to bend over to work the turntable.

Back