A cdp with digital inputs but no USB- how to connect to network?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Just as my title suggests. Say you have a good cdp with digital inputs but no USB plug? How do I stream or connect this to the network and use the Cdp's DACs?

Just as my title suggests. Say you have a good cdp with digital inputs but no USB plug? How do I stream or connect this to the network and use the Cdp's DACs?

With any network streamer that has S/PDIF out. Like a Squeezebox.

OR

You can use a USB->SPDIF converter like Roberto's Bel Canto Ref Link.

Degradation of quality?

Joey, some would argue that the USB>SPDIF converter might actually improve the signal quality, if for instance your USB out from the computer is not asynchronous (although most are).

Not sure which CDP you are considering using, but it sounds like you are backing away from the Esoteric K-01 as it does have a USB input, although I believe it is limited to 24/192. This will limit your options if you are interested in higher sampling rates or DSD.

I'm eventually going to get the AURALiC Aries for streaming directly off of teatherd USB drives and remove the computer all together. Think of it as a modernized, souped up Squeezebox like Adam mentioned. I don't believe the Squeezebox is in production any longer. Not sure if it is still supported by Logitech either.

Yeah SB no longer produced, don't want to buy archaic tech.

I am in talks for the K1, but I just saw a Cary 306 SACD pop up on audiogon and while it has digital inputs, no usb. So, let me get this straight, Tim... the USB on the K1 is not compatible with DSD although the newer K1x is.

If I went with something with a spdif or toslink input - which is the preferred one used and will I be able to stream DSD into it using a converter? My thought is no.

And what is the whole deal with asynchronous?

Yeah SB no longer produced, don't want to buy archaic tech.

I am in talks for the K1, but I just saw a Cary 306 SACD pop up on audiogon and while it has digital inputs, no usb. So, let me get this straight, Tim... the USB on the K1 is not compatible with DSD although the newer K1x is.

That is correct.

If I went with something with a spdif or toslink input - which is the preferred one used and will I be able to stream DSD into it using a converter? My thought is no.

And what is the whole deal with asynchronous?

I believe this is also correct Joey. I don't know of anyone who is accomodating DSD over any connection method other than USB, but I am not an expert. In addition to accommodating higher rez word lengths and sample rates, the advantage of an asynchronous USB connection is that it lets the clock present in the DAC control the flow of audio data from the computer, as opposed to sharing that task with your PC or Mac. By commandeering the data flow, asynchronous USB eliminates timing errors (i.e. jitter) that can degrade audio performance.

That is correct.

I believe this is also correct Joey. I don't know of anyone who is accomodating DSD over any connection method other than USB, but I am not an expert. In addition to accommodating higher rez word lengths and sample rates, the advantage of an asynchronous USB connection is that it lets the clock present in the DAC control the flow of audio data from the computer, as opposed to sharing that task with your PC or Mac. By commandeering the data flow, asynchronous USB eliminates timing errors (i.e. jitter) that can degrade audio performance.

So what's so good about having USB? Am I able to plug a USB hdd to it and it will access?

Man I feel like a dinosaur at 32 years old.

Basically all I want is a cdp w digital inputs and some sort of a hi res streamer to connect info from the network. That's all. I just don't know the best way to do this today, I was able to do this with a Sb3 in the past streaming to my Cary cdp via spdif.

Not sure if I should jump into a USB capable cdp or stick with any cdp with any type of digital input.

And where does the Aurilic fit in?

The AURALiC Aries effectively accepts any digital input including stand alone USB devices (i.e. external hard drives), even over eithernet or WiFi, reclocks it internally with the same Femto clocks they use in the Vega DAC, and outputs the reclocked signal to whatever DAC you choose. It is still limited to 24/196 PCM via Coax or AES/EBU SPDIF, but can handle PCM in 44.1Khz - 384Khz at 16 - 32bits and DSD 2.8224MHz and 5.6448MHz via USB.

You can read more here: http://http://www.auralic.com/en/

So what's so good about having USB? Am I able to plug a USB hdd to it and it will access?

Man I feel like a dinosaur at 32 years old.

Basically all I want is a cdp w digital inputs and some sort of a hi res streamer to connect info from the network. That's all. I just don't know the best way to do this today, I was able to do this with a Sb3 in the past streaming to my Cary cdp via spdif.

Not sure if I should jump into a USB capable cdp or stick with any cdp with any type of digital input.

Joey, why do you want a CDP at all? I believe that physical media will continue to decline and we'll all be streaming live at 16/44.1 (Tidal and others), or connecting to our computers, NAS or other stand alone devices for pretty much all digital media in the near future - both audio and video.

I sold off my Esoteric to get the best DAC I could afford and bring all of my digital content over via USB. I'll probably pick up an Oppo BDP-105D eventually so that I can play Mch. SACD, HDCD and Blu-Ray, but otherwise I'm just ripping my existing CD collection and downloading Hi-Rez new purchases that wouldn't play off of physical media anyway.

Joey, why do you want a CDP at all? I believe that physical media will continue to decline and we'll all be streaming live at 16/44.1 (Tidal and others), or connecting to our computers, NAS or other stand alone devices for pretty much all digital media in the near future - both audio and video.

I sold off my Esoteric to get the best DAC I could afford and bring all of my digital content over via USB. I'll probably pick up an Oppo BDP-105D eventually so that I can play Mch. SACD, HDCD and Blu-Ray, but otherwise I'm just ripping my existing CD collection and downloading Hi-Rez new purchases that wouldn't play off of physical media anyway.

I was trying to do both.

Question - something like the USB on the k1, do I just plug in an external hdd to it?

I was trying to do both.

Question - something like the USB on the k1, do I just plug in an external hdd to it?

No, it is only to connect the USB out of your computer to the K1x.

In order to connect a stand alone drive to a "Renderer", you will need something like the Aries or the Oppo I'd mentioned, or a device like an Aurrender or Lumin. There are more coming out all the time, I believe Burmester just came out with one and Bryston just updated theirs, but you'll have to research whether they have an internal DAC or if you'll need to supply one.

You'll need some method of controlling what is being read off of the attached drive - usually managed via an ap on an iPad or similar device. I happen to like the looks and functionality of the AURALiC Lightning ap, which is part of why I'm leaning that way myself. Tom said that he likes the way the Oppo works off of their ap, but you get the concept right? Just attaching a drive to your computer doesn't do anything, you need to navigate to the folders and files contained on that drive to access them. It's just helpfull to have a user interface that makes managing and playing the files convenient.

Last edited:
No, it is only to connect the USB out of your computer to the K1x.

In order to connect a stand alone drive to a "Renderer", you will need something like the Aries or the Oppo I'd mentioned, or a device like an Aurrender or Lumin. There are more coming out all the time, I believe Burmester just came out with one and Bryston just updated theirs, but you'll have to research whether they have an internal DAC or if you'll need to supply one.

You'll need some method of controlling what is being read off of the attached drive - usually managed via an ap on an iPad or similar device. I happen to like the looks and functionality of the AURALiC Lightning ap, which is part of why I'm leaning that way myself. Tom said that he likes the way the Oppo works off of their ap, but you get the concept right? Just attaching a drive to your computer doesn't do anything, you need to navigate to the folders and files contained on that drive to access them. It's just helpfull to have a user interface that makes managing and playing the files convenient.

Gotcha... so what I really need is a streamer/manager w/ an app. Digital is moving so fast that I am leary of buying something that is SOTA now only to find it lagging behind in terms of tech a year or so later.

Then again, that's how it'll always be anyway so why wait right?

The Bel Canto REF Link Asynchronous USB Converter is a world class converter with a very high-end femto clock @ .07 . I use it to convert from USB to AT&T ST glass fiber-optic to feed my Bel Canto DAC3.7. Can't get any better RFI & EMI isolation as they don't have any undesirable effect on photons. :music:

audioseduction-012b.jpg

Latest posts

Back