A/C outlets?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep....'Hospital grade', a solid electro-mechanical connection is all one needs. IMO, these cryo'd audiophool $100 outlet nonesense is just that...nonesense !

yep....'Hospital grade', a solid electro-mechanical connection is all one needs. IMO, these cryo'd audiophool $100 outlet nonesense is just that...nonesense !

Yup sounds good to me, I couldent be bothered spending the bucks, which ones did you use..?
i replaced everything in the place when I got here but want to put something else at the audio lines..

which ones did you use..?

Bill.......it's been a while.....I got them at my local elec supply store, orange in color.....I just can't remember the mfg, sorry.

Bill,

FWIW, I've recently done a bit of research on this. So here are your material choices: bronze, copper, gold, silver, rhodium, or some combination thereof. I have dedicated 20 amp circuits for my audio and ht systems but installed the basic outlets.

I just ordered material for two 1.5M DH Labs Power Plus power cords. If ordered assembled from the manufacturer, would have cost $480. My material cost, including ship, was $140 plus 15 minutes or so to put together.

I mention this because I spoke with DH Labs about the connectors and believe that similar comments apply to AC receptacles. Darren, DH Labs company owner / designer conducted some listening tests on various plugs and determined that he could hear no difference. So I bought the bottom of line Wattgate terminations, which is what they use in their product.

From what I can tell, much vodooo regarding this "plate coating" issue, which is where the costs start rising.

GG

Yup sounds good to me, I couldent be bothered spending the bucks, which ones did you use..?
i replaced everything in the place when I got here but want to put something else at the audio lines..
Bill, you can pick up the Leviton equivalent to the Hubbell hospital grade at a fraction of the cost.

http://www.buylevitoninstead.com/Hubbell-Wiring-8200SGW.htm?pt=buylevitoninstead

Can't recall where I purchased mine, but IIRC they ran about $9 per from an online seller.

Last edited:
Good point Fox but I can tell you my "buy it at the hardware store" outlets provide for a very secure / vise like grip on the plug.

Again, I think the escalating costs have to do with the specific material used and subsequent plating thereof.

GG

Again, I think the escalating costs have to do with the specific material used and subsequent plating thereof.

GG

Gordan,

I understand your comments. The thing that makes the Porter Ports different is that they are UNplated. From his ad:

"Hubbell now manufactures the Hospital grade 8300 with magnetic steel back strap and galvanized plating. I've arranged delivery of Hospital grade interior parts, unplated in the 5362 body with non magnetic, brass back strap.

These are Hubbell rated for 20 amp and a perfect replacement for both 15 amp and 20 amp outlets. These upgrade both the quality and connection of your electrical. They are Hospital grade and deep immersion cryo treated.

This are a special order un-plated version. Other outlets that have plated connectors (Nickel, Silver or Tin), are designed to hold up in harsh chemical and / or oxygen rich environments. This is not only unnecessary for our audio systems, it harms the quality of sound."

Whether this makes a difference or not, I think they work/sound very good. Your AC outlets probably work as well, but hey, they're not "Audiophile" approved. :rolleyes: :think:

Thanx for the Replies Guys, what I have now are the Pretty square units very chinsy. Looks like I will go with the Hubbles
dont wanna spend boo-coo bucks on a/c outlets -

Fox,

FWIW, I had several conversations with various supply / manufacturer folks regarding this topic when I was choosing what connectors to install on my "budget" power cords.

Opinions were, as you might suspect, all over the map and I left quite confused.

Ideally, as with most things in audio, one could audition the various combinations but the semantics of this approach would be quite complex. For example, is it best to have "one" consistent material for all your PC's and AC plugs? Anecdotally, this would seem to make sense but who the heck knows.

Claims made by your manufacturer seem to also make sense but how do you prove it other than conducting a thoroughly controlled listening test. UGH!

Best,

Gordon

PS: Bill, don't be a wimp. Go for the rhodium. :D

Last edited:
Has anybody out here replaced their
a/c wall outlets?
If so what did you go for?

Hi beek,
I replaced mine with a Avatar 8 after burner. No special metals but made a difference. I just changed my IEC on my Exact Power EP-15A to a FIM and that made a difference as well.
Best of luck:D
Bob

Really it's the "receptacle" that you are replacing. The "outlet" is the box in the wall.
In another forum a very knowledgeable member posted this:

RECEPTACLE GRADES

I believe it's;
1.) Heavy Duty Industrial Spec Grade
2.) Industrial Spec Grade
3.) Spec Grade Commercial

And then Hospital Grade is kinda by itself due to grip tightness, probable equal to spec grade commercial.
----------------
Some brands have a "specification" grade. For others, look for "commercial" or "industrial"
----------------

Really it's the "receptacle" that you are replacing. The "outlet" is the box in the wall.
In another forum a very knowledgeable member posted this:

RECEPTACLE GRADES

I believe it's;
1.) Heavy Duty Industrial Spec Grade
2.) Industrial Spec Grade
3.) Spec Grade Commercial

And then Hospital Grade is kinda by itself due to grip tightness, probable equal to spec grade commercial.
----------------
Some brands have a "specification" grade. For others, look for "commercial" or "industrial"
----------------

Straight from IAEI: http://www.iaei.org/magazine/2005/01/receptacle-grades-what-do-they-mean/

That's a good article about code standards for receptacles. It's not easy to find any discussion about these standards.

Now if we could find a discussion about the real world differences between products and brands, we would be all set.

To me, much of the added cost for hospital grade goes for documentation and for wet mopping resistance.

That's a good article about code standards for receptacles. It's not easy to find any discussion about these standards.

Now if we could find a discussion about the real world differences between products and brands, we would be all set.

To me, much of the added cost for hospital grade goes for documentation and for wet mopping resistance.

I have seen some Freaks on the Asylum that actually got all the flavors of outlets & make sound? Judgements?

Heck, all I wanted was longevity 'cuz, you know, swapping bits of gear until enough veils are lifted is hard on the receptacle.:p

Latest posts

Back