A bit of room tuning with some sound panels.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
Well I have got down to business with some room tweaking for the CLS . They are a bit more picky with the stone fire place and the room itself. The temporary stands have alowed me to final tweak while I put this all together . I am in the process of finalizing 2 different designs. Both are metal, more on that later.

I could not get what I liked from just the room alone. So I went about doing what I do best . DIY mods.:D

After reading a lot on this site and a few other sites I decided I would make a few panels. At first I tried some small temp ones and a few blankets , a few small wads of foam and any other thing I could get that was somewhat available. (real high dollar acoustics stuff).

What I assumed to be true was that the center fireplace was a disaster for image. The upper corners and the lower corners being set back about a foot from the fire place were areas of concern to. I basically had two alcoves 1 foot by 3.5 foot deeper than the actual front fireplace wall. it wasn't a disaster but it had potential for concern.

I built a 97 inch x 4 foot panel for the center out of 3/4 MDF wrapped with 3/8 Acoustistuff batting. The out side is wrapped in a red Diamond textured cotton knit. It fits flush under my mantel, and is verticle, acting as a real wall. I was not looking for a BASS blocker but rather a flat wall with good reflection and a bit of deadening as I still have the upper stone wall that has diffusion. The corners again were merely 3/4 mdf ripped on a 45* covered with the same batting and the same knit material.

I was looking to tame some of the echo and get a solid deep image with out loosing any bass or midrange that the CLS is famous for.

I do not measure these things as I tune by my ears, if I like it it stays , If I do not its good firewood for the campfire. If this sounds Unscientific for some of you, oh well its my system and my ears listening to it not yours. ;) ( I do have REW but cant use it as I have no pre amp out, I will test with the new Krell KPS25sc unit) . This I can tell you the center image has really stabilized and the position of the instruments has dramatically improved. The corner slabs are not the biggest. The uppers are 6 inches wide., and the lowers are 3.5 inches wide. As stated I wasn't looking to change a lot. I just wanted them alcoves to be more even, with better reflection. 3 corner areas are always a bear to deal with.

This whole package has allowed me to move the CLS out a bit more and get a deeper sound stage and better overall sound. If you were to ask me what type of front wall I have? Id say, "a mildly diffusive acoustically reflective workable one":D ! So far I will keep them but I am experimenting with some new Ideas too. Like multiple densities in different areas for the front panel . Multiple lawyers to represent me in my wifes insanity plea ! :banana::D

Attachments

• S6301994 (Small).JPG
    S6301994 (Small).JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 190
  • S6301996 (Small).JPG
    S6301996 (Small).JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 180
  • S6301991 (Small).JPG
    S6301991 (Small).JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 180
  • S6301998 (Small).JPG
    S6301998 (Small).JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 181
Hi Chris,

Looking good. Seems it's also giving you the improvements you’re after as well.

If you’re into experimenting, you could get some OC 705 2” 4'x2' panels and build yourself a similar unit (a bit thicker, and not closed on the back). That would give you a wider range of absorption and possibly improve your mid-bass from those lovely CLS’s.

What you’ve done is clearly an improvement over what you had before, so I encourage you to continue to experiment.

You can get OC 705 locally or via mail-order from acoustimac.com.

Cheers,

I am allready on it Jon. I have some on there way. I am gonna be experementing more as son as I get back frm KC.....

I have work there today ...but I will be in the celebratory mix from them winning the NCAA tournament

Ill keep you posted with some new results as I think the OC panels will really help

........oh well its my system and my ears listening to it not yours.
One of the best statements I have read in quite awhile, and something all should remember. It is not about what others think, do, or suggest you do, but what makes your setup sound best to you.

Back