70 watts/summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
Is a 70watt tube power amp enough power for the summit loudspeaker? Also ok for home theater use? Thanks

The answer is a qualified 'yes'. Qualified because if the alleged 70 watts is coming from a low rent Chinese knock-off, then you're going to be very disappointed. Good tube sound costs lots of $$$.

I run my Montis speakers with 50 watt per channel mono bloc tube amplifiers. I have never hit the wall with these amplifiers. Other members use Rogue Audio tube amps, Audio Research and such like. As far as Chinese built amplifiers go, I have heard the better Prima Luna tube amplifiers have successfully run Martin Logan's with very little high frequency rolloff.

If you're going to use the amplifier a lot for home theatre, tube amps tend to be expensive to run. With some amps, you're lucky to get 2000 hours before you need to change the tubes. Have you considered a really good solid state amp like a Pass Labs X150.5? This amp plus Summit speakers are a match made in heaven.

Edwinr: I am presently using a bryston amp and wanted to try tubes to see if I see the magic. Always used tubes until I got into home theater.

I would like to know what 70 watt tube amp you speak of ??

FWIW, I tried my Jolida integrated (50 watt) up against my Spires (same demands as your Summit's) and it could play music but not in the same league as my Rogue M-180's.

70 watt

twich54: they will be home brew amps built by a friend of mine, told him I wanted 100watts per channel said they would be expensive due to transformer size suggested 70watt mono's

sounds interesting, please be sure to do a write up in the amplifier section along pics when complete !

The answer is it depends. It depends on how big your room is, what your peak SPL's are, and what you think "works" means.

A home brew amp does sound interesting. Good transformers are very expensive. When you say '70 watts', with that kind of power output I would imagine you're talking ' pentode. I personally prefer triode amplifiers. While the power output is lower, the over all sound presentation is slighter softer and more organic. I also notice that in triode mode my bass response is superior.

70 watts

Tried the home brew amp today it had serious problems with noise in one channel and buzzing in the other! Also when I turned on the lexicon it got worse! Called he said bring it back ASAP . It also has a very loud thump when its turned off. It is a hybrid design with tube output and transistor input. I was hoping I could Listen to it but it brought memories on how tubes can be a pain in the butt!

To be brutally honest, hybrid designs are very difficult to implement successfully. Sometimes hybrid designs only accentuate the worst aspects of solid state and tubes = :(

Last edited:
Anyone have an opinion on the Bob Carver Black Beauty Mono Blocks? They're selling for half price right now. Honestly, I'm finding myself very tempted...

Edwinr: I am presently using a bryston amp and wanted to try tubes to see if I see the magic. Always used tubes until I got into home theater.

Get a pair of Pass Labs xa160.5 and you're see and feel the magic for sure! ;)

Back