7.1 Surround Setup Question/Advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randallp

Reaction score
I have completed my ML home theater to reproduce Dolby Digital Surround EX theater sound (7.1). I have placed my front and center channels in recommend Dolby Digital locations. My side speakers are approximately 1.5 feet above my primary listening position and 1.5-2 feet behind my listening position.

I was unable to place the side speakers directly to the right and left of my primary listening position due to the wall layout of the room. My rear surrounds (I have two) are approximately 5-6 feet apart, approximately 1.5-2 feet from the side wall and approximately 1.5 feet above my primary listening position. Does the placement of my side surround speakers and my rear surround speakers sound acceptable to enjoy the full extent of Dolby Digital Surround EX? Both my side surrounds and rear surrounds are firing at the primary listening position. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! I emaild Dolby these questions at www.dolby.com, but have not received a response. I have attached a photo of the layout. Thanks! Randall

Martin Logan Ascent i's (fronts)
Martin Logan Theater i (front center)
Martin Logan Frescos (side and rear surrounds)
Epson Pro Cinema 810 Projector
Da-Lite 110" Contor Electrol Tensioned Screen

Attachments

• Layout.JPG
    Layout.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 434
If it is possible to put the sides slightly in front of you rather then slightly behind you, it would be better I think.

If not, what you described should still work very well.

I have completed my ML home theater to reproduce Dolby Digital Surround EX theater sound (7.1). I have placed my front and center channels in recommend Dolby Digital locations. My side speakers are approximately 1.5 feet above my primary listening position and 1.5-2 feet behind my listening position.

I was unable to place the side speakers directly to the right and left of my primary listening position due to the wall layout of the room. My rear surrounds (I have two) are approximately 5-6 feet apart, approximately 1.5-2 feet from the side wall and approximately 1.5 feet above my primary listening position. Does the placement of my side surround speakers and my rear surround speakers sound acceptable to enjoy the full extent of Dolby Digital Surround EX? Both my side surrounds and rear surrounds are firing at the primary listening position. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! I emaild Dolby these questions at www.dolby.com, but have not received a response. I have attached a photo of the layout. Thanks! Randall

Martin Logan Ascent i's (fronts)
Martin Logan Theater i (front center)
Martin Logan Frescos (side and rear surrounds)
Epson Pro Cinema 810 Projector
Da-Lite 110" Contor Electrol Tensioned Screen

Hola and great system. what I would do is move the Frescos that are at the super rear back to the sides of the listening position, and about one meter forward of it, and use them as sourround speakers and the other frescos as sourround back...I think you are too far from the rears...and this could cause a mess...happy listening,
Roberto.

You have a very nice set up, but what kind of pre/pro or a/v reciever are you running this off of? This is important as some can help automatically calibrate the speakers to the acoustics of the room. That being said, I also think your surround back speakers are too far away, and would benefit from either being closer to the seating position on the walls, and turned to face the seating position (assuming you have the fresco wall bracket with the hinge).

Another solution you might consider in moving the back speakers closer may be to cieling mount them and hinge them down as well.

How high is the cieling? and what are you using to process the sound?

Hola and great system. what I would do is move the Frescos that are at the super rear back to the sides of the listening position, and about one meter forward of it, and use them as sourround speakers and the other frescos as sourround back...I think you are too far from the rears...and this could cause a mess...happy listening,
Roberto.

This is an even better suggestion then my suggestion, and puts the sides slightly forward of the listening like I was saying

You have a very nice set up, but what kind of pre/pro or a/v reciever are you running this off of? This is important as some can help automatically calibrate the speakers to the acoustics of the room. That being said, I also think your surround back speakers are too far away, and would benefit from either being closer to the seating position on the walls, and turned to face the seating position (assuming you have the fresco wall bracket with the hinge).

Another solution you might consider in moving the back speakers closer may be to cieling mount them and hinge them down as well.

How high is the cieling? and what are you using to process the sound?

I'm using a Denon AVR-4800 with a Sony high end receiver to push the rear surround speakers. The Denon 4800 does calibrate the speakers for the distances in the room; so the receiver can, technically, accomidate the distance of the rear speakers. The cieling is only 8-10 feet high. The hinging may be a good solution if the current calibrated solution does not work. I guess only listening and time will tell. The clairty of the system is simply fantastic!

Back