35hz knob on the Spire

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
Another member of the club (Andrew) came over to my house last weekend for the first time. As we listened to some music, he mentioned he thought the bass was a bit fat and bloated. After this past week and some serious listening, he was being kind!

I had them set to about 2.25+ and thought it sounded fine. I've been playing with turning the knob down a half notch every couple songs and became quite surprised at the difference it seemed to make. I'm now down to -2.5 and the speakers seem to have taken on a new life!

I'm not done yet but I now know I was over boosting and the entire presentation is more pleasing at this point. There seems to be more attack and decay evident with the bass rolled back. Bass instruments sound cleaner and more defined, with piano chords having much more body.

It never ends!

Gordon

I know what you mean Gordon about the 35hz control knob having a huge impact on the music. Last week we were playing around with this feature on my Vantages and were amazed at how it affected vocals. In fact with just a quarter turn of the knob one woman who was speaking went from sounding like she had a cold to a smoker's voice (which is what she is supposed to sound like). I went from a -3 setting to 1/4 past 0. This is where the bass was best defined and vocals sounded most natural in my room. Good luck and have fun!

Glen

Glen thanks for the write up on your systems page. I had no idea it was there and enjoyed the read.

If you could clarify something for me? When you changed the phase between the panel and woofer, you took a jumper and crossed the red to black on the woofer? I'd be game to give this a try if I have this correct.

Gordon

Glen thanks for the write up on your systems page. I had no idea it was there and enjoyed the read.

If you could clarify something for me? When you changed the phase between the panel and woofer, you took a jumper and crossed the red to black on the woofer? I'd be game to give this a try if I have this correct.

Gordon

Hi Gordon thank you for the kind words. As for the panel phase this is what we did: The speaker cable is inserted to the two top binding post (Highs) where positive is to + and negative goes to - . Then we took the jumpers and ran the upper positive (highs) to the lower negative (lows) and of course the upper negative to the lower postive. This in effect put the woofer in phase with the panel. There was a measurable difference in the room when we did this according to his RTA, and it helped eliminate some of the problems we were experiencing. As you saw in my review this may have only been a solution to a unique problem that I was having, but I think it's worth a try to see what it does for your room.

Glen

Nice quote in your signature!

That is by far the best, most cost effective thing Ive ever done to my system...

Back