2009 CES Photos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ARC VS110.
308cscg.jpg

The amazing MBL 101E and associated MBL equipment. This is one of my dream systems so it was a privilege to see and hear this setup in person. I first saw these speakers at audio boutique in Thailand last year. The boutique was in a mall of all places and that was quite a refreshing change to find such a store in a mall rather than the usual Bose franchise.

ncmszl.jpg

The Kronzilla's weren't playing but I did get to talk with Ms Kron and was happy to learn that KR Audio is producing an 845 tube.

Yup, that they do, as well as a 211. I tried to buy a quad a few months back and was told there was a supply problem.

Be aware that those big tubes and the 211/845 don't glow anywhere nearly as brightly as "normal" versions:( No fun in the dark!

Some of those pics are excellent, Craig.

We were hoping to see the highly exotic $$$$$ MBL Extreme series at the show they weren't there. However, these are a little more realistic and maybe an older pair will be in reach some day, so I'm hopeful. Although, they are power hungry speakers and require monster amps so that has to be included into the equation.

These did sound amazing with imaging and soundstaging that seemed to follow you around the room.

You have to see these in person to appreciate the high-tech engineering and German craftsmanship that goes into them. If you look closely you'll notice these are covered in fine leather with yellow stitching. The were upholstered at the Porsche factory to match a Porsche interior. How could you face your friends if your MBLs clashed with your car? I mean that would just be sooooo embarrasing!:eek:
2wm028g.jpg

Last edited:
The Modwright room. Showing off there new speakers and KWA 150 Mono Amps as well the rest of Dan's line of gear and tube modified Slimdevices Transporter.

The art work behind the gear are sound absorbing panels. An excellent example of the growing trend of making room acoustic treatment look more like it belongs in a living space rather than a recording studio.
5o87pl.jpg
[/IMG]

The Dan Wright (Modwright) modified Transporter.

Since both the turntable and Transporter was running I had to ask if the source playing was coming from the turntable or the Transporter. It was the Transporter. I'm no Golden Ear but the overall system was sweet to my ears.
2aqp7a.jpg

Another view using a flash to get a better idea of the colors on the art and acoustics. They also do custom work with your own art.
29x690p.jpg

Wow, that is on the high side. Although, your paying for the art work since it is all original. An option is to make your own. Just use blank framed canvas to start with, stuff mineral wool or similar material in the back, cover with fabric of your choice or apply your own art skills.

LOVE THIS STUFF!!! However $1200.00 - $2000.00 a pop I gotta think of a better option...

Auralex is also now offering Acoustic Panels with art/photos... probably a lot less expensive...
http://www.auralex.com/sonicprint/default.aspx

I know GIK Acoustics is also experimenting with the concept (but no product announcement yet).

Hopefully, this bodes well for a growing market of decor-friendly acoustic solutions!

If the Modwright Transporter had home theater bypass, it would have been sitting in my rack by now!

The amazing MBL 101E and associated MBL equipment. This is one of my dream systems so it was a privilege to see and hear this setup in person. I first saw these speakers at audio boutique in Thailand last year. The boutique was in a mall of all places and that was quite a refreshing change to find such a store in a mall rather than the usual Bose franchise.

ncmszl.jpg

Why are the MBLs toed in? They're supposed to be omnidirectional!

That made me smile...

Possibly force of habit? Or maybe the bass ports... which won't be omni. But bass isn't supposed to be that directional. Mind you I don't know the crossover freq and I can't be $!&£ to look it up.

Great speakers pre the CLX I reckon. Still great, but just too expensive compared to the CLX. And IMHO, they just aren't as good. But the omni aspect is brilliant and it's just great to walk around when they are playing and hear just how omni they really are!

That made me smile...

Possibly force of habit? Or maybe the bass ports... which won't be omni. But bass isn't supposed to be that directional. Mind you I don't know the crossover freq and I can't be $!&£ to look it up.

Great speakers pre the CLX I reckon. Still great, but just too expensive compared to the CLX. And IMHO, they just aren't as good. But the omni aspect is brilliant and it's just great to walk around when they are playing and hear just how omni they really are!

Yes- my first thought was the bass ports - but as you say - bass isn't directional! Too funny! Anyway - for the price of a pair of Statements, I know what I'd rather.

Back