2 channel dedicated listening room size...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it were me; I'd pull rank and take over the library :devil:

That's almost enough to go Lavigne-room.

When our home was nearing completion, I had plans of using the basement for an audio-room build, but our post-construction budget would not allow that project for a while. I had the electrician put in a few dedicated outlets into a spare bedroom adjacent to the master suite and made that my two-channel room for the time being. The upstairs location works out well; it is quiet and out of the way of normal first-floor traffic.

It's a great place to get away for a while....if you know what I mean.

Tj

I don't know about a Lavigne room... Guy functions at a totally different tax bracket. Lol!

Looks like a very nice floor plan. I like it.

Thanks!! We like it too!

Totally understand... just stating what I would do. Also, I concur with Justin's comments about having your setup on cement. The less room interaction (including flexing floors), the better.

Cheers

Easy to spend someone elses money! You wanna give me some? Lol!

Totally understand... just stating what I would do. Also, I concur with Justin's comments about having your setup on cement. The less room interaction (including flexing floors), the better.

Cheers

If I were in your shoes, I would at least price out finishing / partially finishing the basement. Several favorable factors argue for this choice. But at least if you price it out (roughly), you would have more information on which to make a decision...:eek: :D

Joey, while the basement idea is a good one, give it serious thought before committing to it. I for one could not "live" in a basement.

Joey, while the basement idea is a good one, give it serious thought before committing to it. I for one could not "live" in a basement.

But Bernard... listening to MLs is beyond just merely living. It is a transcendent experience that defies all our familiar 4-dimensional boundaries. It is the essence of being - pure singularity. Also, what happens when those giant asteroids come screaming down on 12/21/2012? What better place to be than listening to your MLs safely stationed below ground level? Does it say something about a person's obsession if part of their apocalyptic survival plan includes Martin Logans? I think it does, as it should ;)

If I were in your shoes, I would at least price out finishing / partially finishing the basement. Several favorable factors argue for this choice. But at least if you price it out (roughly), you would have more information on which to make a decision...:eek: :D

Making it 10foot from 9 foot standard was 10k. To do standard finished without parceling out rooms is about $20 per sq foot. The basement is about 3000 sq feet.

That's around $60,000 without a bar, a kitchen, or the media room. To do the basement justice, I need about $150,000.

To do the basement justice, I need about $150,000.

To do my life justice, I need about $100,000,000. Money - you never have enough.:)

And just look at all the complications it brings with it... like planning the environment for a half-decent system. And that's not even the half of it - then there's the system itself!!!

It's enough to bring a man to...

happiness:music::music::music:

But Bernard... listening to MLs is beyond just merely living. It is a transcendent experience that defies all our familiar 4-dimensional boundaries. It is the essence of being - pure singularity. Also, what happens when those giant asteroids come screaming down on 12/21/2012? What better place to be than listening to your MLs safely stationed below ground level? Does it say something about a person's obsession if part of their apocalyptic survival plan includes Martin Logans? I think it does, as it should ;)
Man cannot live on music alone; he needs bread too. To me (a serious cook) it is pure joy to have my music room right next to the kitchen. I can samba while chopping guava.

When those asteroids come screaming down I plan to be part of the welcoming party. Even in the bowels of the earth they will do the ultimate - make your MLs and your brain one physical entity.

At 5700 sq ft, the little things like window treatments, rugs, decorating etc, really burn up the budget. Can't figure it out....my wife spent more on curtains/blinds than I would have on a a pair of CLX's, but somehow we 'needed' the curtains. Go figure....

Tj

To do my life justice, I need about $100,000,000. Money - you never have enough.:)
One hundred millions clams. Sounds like a California lottery, except that the government grabs a lot of it. Yeah, we could all use more.

At 5700 sq ft, the little things like window treatments, rugs, decorating etc, really burn up the budget. Can't figure it out....my wife spent more on curtains/blinds than I would have on a a pair of CLX's, but somehow we 'needed' the curtains. Go figure....

Tj

Omg... The furniture and treatments are going to be the end of me.

Here is a variation of the same floorplan, only difference is the garage layout. There's a tandem 4th spot instead of a nicer 3+1 side-loaded garage.

However, check out the 2nd floor family room. It's larger. 13x19 vs 13x14...

In addition, the master closet is also slightly larger and the overall area is approx 5350 sq feet (vs 5250). Price is also about 10K less because of the simpler front-loaded garage.

Floorplan B:

Attachments

• Aberdeen 1fb.jpg
    Aberdeen 1fb.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 638
  • Aberdeen 2fb.jpg
    Aberdeen 2fb.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 723
Last edited:
However, check out the 2nd floor family room. It's larger. 13x19 vs 13x14...
Joey, it's definitely better, but I would put some windows in the front of the 2nd floor family room - I like lots of light. Are you still considering building out farther over the garage ?

If you moved the linen closet to where the optional bookcase is identified, you could probably squeeze more space out of the laundry room for your audio room.

Last edited:
I don't know if I can put windows over the front side of the room.... technically, it's within the confines of the garage roofline. There is a window the right of the 2nd floor family room.... I figured, if I added more windows, the room would become asymmetric.

More surfaces for reflections right?

I'll post a pic of the house so you can better understand that we cannot place windows to the front of the 2nd floor family room.

Some pics... this is the model home but our specs are pretty close to this (flooring, etc). Probably going with carpet in the audio room?

Or wood?

Anyway, here are exterior pics... Bernard, see how the top of the sideloaded garage cannot hold windows and if you extend the entire 2nd floor family room all the way to the edge of the garage, we'd have a "square" roofline and not the triangle one in the pics (btw, garage is to the right of the pic, it is sideloaded... the left "hut-like structure" is the living room)...
aberdeen-day.jpg

aps-aberdeen-night.jpg

Here is a pic of the basement media room.... that I cannot afford:
aberdeen-theatre.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the 2nd floor... the 2nd floor family room is just off to the left of the edge of the pic... I could not find a pic of it, but it gives you an idea of the upstairs feel... 9 ft ceilings.

aberdeen-upstairs.jpg

Foyer... the laundy/2nd floor family should be right behind the upstairs wall we see... 10 ft ceilings.
aberdeen-foyer.jpg

Last edited:
Something tells me a listening room that close to sleeping quarters is a bad idea and will rob you of valuable listening time.

Something tells me a listening room that close to sleeping quarters is a bad idea and will rob you of valuable listening time.

I wonder if we can soundproof it a little more though.

I think the basement or creating another room on the first floor is the best answer... but it is also the most costly. I think something on the 2nd is a good compromise especially if it's over the garage.

I looked at the numbers again and it seems like the most I can get the 2nd family room size to be is about 13x16 (from stock 13x14) without completely tearing the laundry room apart.... this would make the laundry room approx 7' (from stock of 9') in width - which is still a decent size. Wife prefers we keep the laundry in the 2nd floor and not on the first due to the size of the house.

And she vetoed the idea that I take over the family room. LOL!

BTW, without going Rives Audio... are there companies that do what they do but on a lesser scale?

Back