EAR 868 vs Modwright 36.5 vs Aesthetix Calipso

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayk24

Reaction score
Ear 868 is the one to stay.:music:

Attachments

• ML 037.jpg
    ML 037.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 8,194
  • ML 038.jpg
    ML 038.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 7,066
  • ML 039.jpg
    ML 039.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 7,302
  • ML 028.jpg
    ML 028.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 6,927
  • ML 036 (Medium).jpg
    ML 036 (Medium).jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 7,858
Last edited by a moderator:
This is one ugly remote.:eek:

Attachments

• ML 040.jpg
    ML 040.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 7,093
just curious, what influenced your final decision? What did you like best about the EAR...

They do make great stuff.

Ear 868 plays music,music,music, but the others play instruments. A very live presentation from Ear 868. After 3 days of switching back & forth, all my friends agree the Ear sounds best in my system. The only concern i have is the bass control. My Passlab X0.2 has better bass control over the Ear. The remote is so ugly, a 10 dollar toy remote look better than this one. I compained to the distributer, but he said Tim the designer is not a remote control guy. I don't know what is he thinking. I end up using my Logitech harmony 1000 to control it.

Last edited:
Tim is regarded as a total tube guru over here. He makes great stuff, and is very highly regarded by the manufacturers that have used his consultancy services e.g. Quad and Musical Fidelity. If there is one man who ought to be able to produce top class tube gear, it's Tim De Paravicini. Made in GB means something in this case.

Did you do a comparison within the forum on these? I may have missed the thread... Could you point me to it - or give me your input on the 3 (differences etc....?? -- mini-review?) thanks tim.

Did you do a comparison within the forum on these? I may have missed the thread... Could you point me to it - or give me your input on the 3 (differences etc....?? -- mini-review?) thanks tim.

Passlab X0.2 sweet highs, excellence bass, but don't have the magic midrange of tubes. This is a ss preamp that works amazing on cone box speakers not for the Logans. The Spires mids & highs are already so good, so airy. When I compare it to the EAR868, so many wow wow wow , it sound so good, it just grasp you. You don't look for that 'ting' & 'ding', you want to listen to more music.

Modwright 36.5 it doesn't have the magic midrange, it sounds so ss.

Calypso lies between the EAR & Modwright.

I believe Logans needs a tubes preamp in the system.

Now i put Nordost cones on the bottom of the EAR868 to tighten up the lower bass. After spending some time on leveling & angling the Spires. The Spires disappear in the room. I brought a pair of speakerfeets for my Spires, will post some pictures when it arrive.http://www.speakerfeet.com/ML-Outrigger.JPG

I love my Spires more & more:music:

Hmmm, that's certainly a different perspective than most reviews I've read about the 36.5. What tubes were you using?

They are all stock, I borrowed them for three days to compare. They are all powered up at all time. If you can compare them at home side by side in your system . You don't care what people say, the one that sound best to you stay. It is true?

They are all stock, I borrowed them for three days to compare. They are all powered up at all time. If you can compare them at home side by side in your system . You don't care what people say, the one that sound best to you stay. It is true?

True! Auditioning in your home is ideal. Enjoy the EAR 868!

BTW, just found this review of the Modwright, which also compared it to the EAR 912 (which likewise bested it)...
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue38/modwright_36.htm

Last edited:
I've just bought an 868PL - with the transformer based MC stage. So I thought I'd dig this thread up from the catacombs.

Whilst the remote looks like it came out of the 1960s Star Trek series, it does sit very comfortably in the hand, and it held me by the hand for most of last night:) Todd will be delighted to know you can point it pretty much anywhere within reason, and it works. Getting the right volume level in reasonable time is very easy.

Will get to know it better before posting any sonic conclusions.

:puke:
I've just bought an 868PL - with the transformer based MC stage. So I thought I'd dig this thread up from the catacombs.

Whilst the remote looks like it came out of the 1960s Star Trek series, it does sit very comfortably in the hand, and it held me by the hand for most of last night:) Todd will be delighted to know you can point it pretty much anywhere within reason, and it works. Getting the right volume level in reasonable time is very easy.

Will get to know it better before posting any sonic conclusions.

Congrats Justin! Yes - pics (preamp and klingon disruptor remote) and thoughts - stat! Also, remind us again what you're replacing with the EAR. Not sure if you're "my system" link is up to date.

ETA: I see further up in this thread what must be the EAR remote. :puke: at least it does what it's supposed to do ;)

Last edited:
Awesome! I've heard nothing but good stuff about that preamp. I've read that it is a basically a 912, without all the extra stuff it has. I've also read reviews where the 912 beat the Audio Research REF 3 handily. Of course, we take reviews with a grain of salt, what matters is how it sounds to you. Happy listening!

OK I think I know enough now to confidentally state it is outstanding - the line stage at any rate. Not spent more than an album with the MC stage yet.

I'm quite surprised how good it is, TBH. As a line stage - very, very highly recommended. I've heard M7s, an M77, REF 5s and REF 3s. This is up there with them, maybe peering down a little bit. Would need the others in my system for a fair comparison.

Genuinely superb sonically.

Sorry Todd - yeah - I'll rip the lid off it at some stage and take some nice pics. System update will occur if it remains in situ for a couple of weeks at least:D

For others info - it is loaded with Telefunken PCC88s and EAT tube dampers. The last owner seemed adamant that it should be placed on cones, so I may do that but I am sceptical it'll make much difference, but you never know.

Also, we all know to be wary of audiophiles with new toys, so I will post a more detailed analysis of the performance - at least in my system - when the euphoria has lifted at a later date. But there are plenty of reviews on the web should anyone be curious about it.

Back