Valve intergrated enough for smaller MLs?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winno

Reaction score
About 5 years ago I got back into better quality gear and music.

As things stand now I have a Sony XA5ES cdp, Bewitch KT88 integrated valve amp and Aurum Cantus stand mounted speakers. It's all connected up with Kimber 4TC and 8TC. The amp is 60-70wpc in UL mode or switchable to 30wpc class A in triode and runs a mix of EH and Golden Dragon audio valves with JJs for rectification.

I am looking at some of the smaller MLs like the Aerius or newer models but wanted to know if what I have amp wise is sufficient for the time being. In the future I will go for a bigger valve power amp but am stuck with my current amp for now.

I love the sound of the Aerius but need to know if they're going to work before pulling the trigger on a set. I could also consider the newer models too.

I like pretty much all music, the room is about 5m x 5m and while most of my listening is at a level where you could talk over it just, every now and then I do wind it up if I'm about the house.

Your thoughts?
Thanks so much

Last edited:
Hi there from the Gold Coast (but I work in Brisbane)!

You are really goinog to need to listen. One thing for sure - if there is a problem with an amp, the MLs will show it. I ended up buying two new amplifiers when I got my Aerius. Try to listen first!

I think you may be stretching it unless you pick up one of the bi-wire speakers (more common). Then use a solid state amp on the bass and rock on.

If you are just driving the bass, I'd look at a used Carver, Rotel or Adcom (in that order). Perhaps you have other amps down under which are equal to the mid-fi one's listed. I don't think you have to spend more, just my opinion.

You may end up spending more on new interconnects and speaker wires than an old SS amp, look at it that way.

Last edited:
If you follow my system link, you'll see the 50 Watt Bill Beard I used to drive my Aerius with. It worked pretty well, but the manual does specifically mention it's ability to drive ESLs well (but doesn't back that claim up with any technical reason why).

I remember using a Lumley ST70 (70 Watt) tube with them, which was a great amp. The much more expensive Lumley 120 Watt monos I tried sucked in comparison. Power is NOT everything. The 70 Watt Lumley was the best tube amp (and for that matter amp) I ever used with the Aerius.

Hope this helps - I'd bet 60 Watts has a good chance of being alright, but it just depends on so many factors. The only real way is to try and see what you think.

Winno

Welcome, from another Brisvegas member,

The key is really about how loud you like to listen to your music.

I have a pair of Aeon I's and trialed a Mctintosh MC275 a coupled of years ago. (75-90w valve)

Basically, it sounded glorious at low volumes, but once i cranked it up...different story.

I ended up with a 185w solid state amp

But I endorse the suggestions to try a valve amp for the panels and biamp a SS amp for the bass.

Have you thought of a hybrid integrated? I moved to a Jolida 1501RC w/ Level II mods and it got everything right for 1.5K US$. Tube pre softens things up a tad, takes the sizzle off the high end, SS is there for the push. My Aerius do not have the bi-wire feature though...too bad.

Back