Soft hum from Descent

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darude

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a pair of Descent subwoofers, which I connect in a chain. According to the manual I shall set the volume on the slave sub to maximum. When I raise the volume without any input connected, I can hear a soft hum when I reach volume 7 and above. Is this normal? Both subs do act the same, even though nothing is connected to them. So I assume that no sub is broken. Is there a way to make this hum disappear?

If you raise the volume on your sub, without any input connections, do you also hear a low hum?

Thanks for you help!

/Darude

Hi!

I have a pair of Descent subwoofers, which I connect in a chain. According to the manual I shall set the volume on the slave sub to maximum. When I raise the volume without any input connected, I can hear a soft hum when I reach volume 7 and above. Is this normal? Both subs do act the same, even though nothing is connected to them. So I assume that no sub is broken. Is there a way to make this hum disappear?

If you raise the volume on your sub, without any input connections, do you also hear a low hum?

Thanks for you help!

/Darude

I had to use a cheater plug on my descent (3 prong to 2 prong adapter) powercord. I couldn't get rid of the hum because of a ground loop - I do believe - but the cheater plug fixed it.

So, if you use the cheater plug and raise the volume above 7, there is no hum at all? Not even a soft hum? Can you confirm this on your sub?

I do not have any hum at all when I set the volume under 7.

So, if you use the cheater plug and raise the volume above 7, there is no hum at all? Not even a soft hum? Can you confirm this on your sub?

I do not have any hum at all when I set the volume under 7.

I have had the same issues with these subs. Lifting the ground with a 3-prong to 2-prong adapter reduced the hum to barely audible unless you were right on top of the speaker. Certainly not audible from the listening position.

Back