Upgrade Sequell II parts or get new Source?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_Klim

Reaction score
I was going to get new pannels, woofers and power supply for my Sequel II start of this year, but HD-DVD lost the war and so I stopped using my HT system. I got my Blu-ray last week and now the pannels are really shot and I desperately need a fix.

I read a recent post that prices for replacement parts have sky-rocketted the last few months. So now I am wondering if I should just get a new set of Source instead. Or maybe even something used, but much newer. I have a sub (Dr Hsu 12 incher), Stage and a set of Fresco i.

What do you guys recommend?

Hi,

A few questions for you:

What is the going price for the panels?

What is your budget?

Are you thinking of buying new or used? Used prices are in the tank now. You may be able to get a new Vantage for the price of a new Source.

Do you like the new sound? Some folks prefer the old sound.

Got an email from Jim yesterday:

pannels $650, 1 pr power supply $200, 1 pr woofers (newer style) $480

found a thread from just over a year ago that had these prices:

pannels $550, power supplies $190, woofers $260

So the pannels really haven't gone up that much as another thread mention for a different set of MLs, but the woofers sure have!

One last thing that I would have to do is refinish the speakers.

I heard from others that this model over time gets "sticky". The paint is rubbery or something. You need to wash your hands good if you grab a hold of them to move them around. But I think it would be a fun project to sand them down and refinish them. Paint them something funky like candy apple red, or maybe a deep dark midnight blue and then (since I just got into astronomy) maybe paint some celestial objects or place some glow in the dark stickers of stars and planets (I can see the frightened look on some of your faces!! LOL!) These are for a seperate HT system so I don't think I'll mind the stickers - people add stars to the cieling of their HT room so why not to the MLs? :D

Hi,

A few questions for you:

What is the going price for the panels?

What is your budget?

Are you thinking of buying new or used? Used prices are in the tank now. You may be able to get a new Vantage for the price of a new Source.

Do you like the new sound? Some folks prefer the old sound.

It's not the budget, but whatever is the better deal. I purchased them for $550 a couple of years ago so I feel if I didn't fix them then that would have been a total waste of an investment. I think for with some TLC and I can also make them look and sound like new (and unique) for about $1350+tax/ship. And they don't really need new power supplies and woofers so that cuts the price in half.

Old/new sound. Doens't matter too much since it will only be used for HT.

I've bought used MLs before so I'm up for that again.

I'm kinda leaning towards fixing up what I have. It'll cost less, will sound better (at least better than Source, I am guessing) and it's pretty much brand new so they'll last longer than another set of used ones.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
If the panels are really shot as you say, then buy only new panels. What did you spend $550 on for them a couple of years ago?

Peter,

Sounds like it's only a financial decision since sound does not matter.

Whatever you paid for them does not really matter - it's a sunk cost. What should drive your decision are your future incremental expenditures. Your options for the future are to spend $650 for the panels + your time to refurnish the sequel or to buy a source for $1,000-$1,500.

Back