BAT, Classe or GamuT amp for Vantages

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andries

Reaction score
If you had the option of buying a BAT VK200, Classe 2200 or a GamuT D200 (vII) all still within your budget as a power amp for Vantages (I use an Arcam AV9 as a pre-amp), which would you use?

Thanks

Andries

Hello,
You cannot go wrong with any of those choices. I own Vantages as well and have been quite pleased. If it was me, I would go for the Classe 2200.

Not only is it a powerful, well designed amplifier, I find the industrial design to be stunning.
Cheers,
ML

And I'd recommend the BAT for the exact same reasons (as an Industrial Designer myself I find the Classe a bit bland). However, ML is correct, it would be hard to go wrong with any of the 3 you mentioned.

See what you can do to arrange in home auditions. There is a big difference between the sound of the classe and the BAT. I personally prefer the BAT as the house sound is a bit richer (probably due to their tube heritage). The Classe's, while a good product, always sound a bit thin and dry to me, but they may be exactly what you like. I've only heard the GamuT's with associated GamuT electronics and speakers, but I have to say as a synergistic whole, especially with their BIG speakers, they make simply stunning music. Their room is always one of my favorites at RMAF every year.

I'm with Tim on the Gamut gear - and I've only heard their amps in all Gamut systems at shows, and I know a local dealer from a while ago.

Anyway, can't you try these amps out for yourself and make your own conclusion? Or are they auction items?:confused:

Having owned a Gamut D200 MkII for several years, I'm not sure that amp would have the best synergy with the Vantages. The Gamut was very dynamic and excelled at soundstaging and imaging. I used it with AP Virgo III speakers. But ultimately I came to realize that it could be a little thin and lacking tone and warmth.

Of the three, and knowing what I know about Gamut, I would explore the Classe or BAT.

Dave

daveneumann,
the slight thinness and lack of warmth on the Gamut D200 MK2 is corrected and none existant on the new/latest MK3 version. I've heard the D200 MK3 and I'd say it comes within a whisker of being State Of The Art for sound quality.

thanks to everyone, these are indeed auction items, but some by reputable dealers who have a "return policy". I think I will start with the BAT. I dont like a thin and lifeless sound (although I also hate over dramatic dynamics - sigh, I want my cake and eat it....), and what I have read about the BATs means it might just suit my taste. Hold thumbs for me!!

Andries

hi, I have now had the oppertunity to listen to a few amps and I would like to express my views here and hopefully you can help me again. I know we all love our "sound" differently and hopefully if I am able to explain what I like, maybe you guy can give me more direction. OI am still not sure where I need to go with an amp. My Primare A30.5 is still not doing it for me in straight stereo mode, so I am still looking :)

I have recently bought the Marantz SA-7S1 CD/SACD player. It is decent on CD (no harsh siblance), but stunning on SACD. Diana Krall's Girl in the Other Room sacd just sounds stunning. I am overall quite happy with it as I hate a digital harsh sound.

Amps I have listened to (at home, over a few days):
(1) Krell S300i - not too impressed, lacks detail, I rather go with the What Hi-Fi review and not with Ken Kessler's view in HFNews, but maybe I am harsh, it costs half of the rest of the amps below.
(2) Audio Research DSi200 (new integrated). I was fortunate to audition the first DSi200 in the UK at home. I ran it in for 48 hours (they say it needs 600 hours run in time!!). It sounds great, especially with Siltech XLR and Siltech cables - pulls you into the music, detailed, large sound stage, could maybe do with a bit more rythm and slam. Almost too tame.
(3) Plinius Hiato - what a brute force thing. Probably stunning on other more shut in speakers (like Sonus Fabers), but too brutish and lacks finesse for the ML Vantages.
(4) GamuT DI150 - more refined than Plinius, but bass is a bit plumpy, and still slightly thin/harsh. Lots of detail, but I know it is going to tire me in the long run (I agree with sentiment about GamuT expressed earlier).
(5) I also heard the demo of ML Summit X with Audio Research kit at NAS (not home) - liked it quite a bit, maybe a very marginal bit too warm.

So, overall it seems that I am more of a valve person... I will be tryng to listen to Electrocompaniet over the week-end (Audio-T in Reading have the kit in) and will also audition the Pathos Cinema X next week at home (Cinema X might also solve my A/V amp issues).

What do you guys think of my experiences so far? Any advice? What about something like a Mark Levinson 335? I can get a 6 year old model for around ₤3500. Are there problems with M Lev? I see several on Choice-hifi.com.

Back