Apogee Duetta Signature Rebuild

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK - just to prove they really are on the way, here's some pics of the Duetta's burning in. Not the best pics - as admitted by the rebuilder. But if you kind of interpolate between all the shots you can get an idea of what they'd really look like in the flesh, I believe. I have the advantage of knowing the colour since it is the same as my car...

To be honest, I think the colour works really well as contrasted against the naked ribbons.

The close up shot really helps to show the quality of Graz's ribbons. Go back to the first page to see what the originals look like.

Should get some daylight pics tomoz. If they are better I'll replace these with the "improved" versions. Also, the covers still need a polish. And, they still need the mesh, quote:

"The mesh is a fine light grey plastic coated fibreglass, audibly and visibly transparent, but prevents accidental damage from children, pets etc. Same as what Apogee used originally."

Attachments

• Duetta_left.jpg
    Duetta_left.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 6,060
  • Duetta_right.jpg
    Duetta_right.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 5,602
  • Duetta_arty.jpg
    Duetta_arty.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 5,618
  • Duettas.jpg
    Duettas.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 11,181
Last edited:
Originally made in the good old US of A (be proud, chaps).

Revived in England.

Restored using Australian ribbons and English capacitors / inductors + other bits'n'bobs (Eichmann binding posts etc).

Notably no Canadian input, however;):D:)

Truly an international effort. But if that's what it takes to get these babies back up and running, then, well, that's what it takes!:) There can't be many pairs in the UK in this condition, which makes them rare and kind of cool, I think. Even rarer still over here would be the Diva and the amp killing Scintilla. The Full Range may well be non-existent.

Last edited:
Justin, congrats. That's quite a feat of perseverance to get them to this state.

They look great.

Justin, congrats. That's quite a feat of perseverance to get them to this state.

They look great.

Thanks Jon and others - the restorer's work looks really rather excellent, I think. Here's a couple taken in daylight, were they look different again. The paint colour is a bit of a Chamelion, really. How light hits it really affects the way it looks, just like on the car.

Attachments

• Duetta_left_close.jpg
    Duetta_left_close.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 5,384
  • Duetta_left_2.jpg
    Duetta_left_2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 6,871
how is the low FQ response for those? still require a sub? are you expecting them to largely hold true to the factory specs or will the rebuild render some different results?

Last edited:
Jimna - see post 15 for reviews and FR plots.

With regards to factory specs, I expect them to be broadly the same. No real design changes implemented here. Better, more expensive components have been used here, though, which should reap subjective rewards.

WOW Justin!!! Those are looking AMAZING. I'll bet you can't wait to get them lashed up to your system. I must say that I am anxiously awaiting your impressions. I've always been an Apogee fan(atic). I'm very interested in what you have to say about them. Again, simply stunning my friend. I'm happy for you.

Looks like they have been restored to perfection. Congrats.

How come you didn't have them painted "Red"? They look racy enough.:D

Joe - because I don't own a Ferrari? Reminds me - must get that Ferrari versus Aston day sorted out i.e. date confirmed. Probably best to arrange it for the summer, though. In all honesty, I've seen them in red. It doesn't do it for me. If you venture to the True Sound Works website, there's a photo of some red ones there. The German restorer's website also has a photo of a pair in red.

High gloss piano black works well.

Tim - well, when they arrive, which should be very soon, you can rest assured I'll be completely honest about them in any verdict I care to issue. And yes, I am really looking forward to getting them fired up.

Jimna - see post 15 for reviews and FR plots.

With regards to factory specs, I expect them to be broadly the same. No real design changes implemented here. Better, more expensive components have been used here, though, which should reap subjective rewards.
thanks for pointing the specific post out. i did read the entire thread a while ago, but didnt have time today to reread it.

i realize you dont have them yet, but i assume youve heard these before given all the effort to rebuild them, so would you run these with a sub? i see what the spec sheet says now, but ive heard speakers in the past that by the specs dont need a sub, but by my ears do. so i ask....

very nice work though, i love the color. stunning!

Nope. I have never heard them - but I have heard a similar(ish) design. To be able to hear them at their best means finding a restored pair - and that's not easy in the UK.

Output actually rises at around 30Hz and is good to 25Hz odd. And according to Alvin Gold's review, they do not need a sub. No CLX type limitations here. Or so the story goes. I'm not under any illusions that bass output would be equivalent to the CLX plus 2x Descent I's in full swing, however.

But I have a Descent, which I'll try with them when they arrive. I'm hoping to be able to let my Ascent/Descent combo go, though. It'll help pay for the Apogees to a fair extent.

Last edited:
Nope. I have never heard them - but I have heard a similar(ish) design. To be able to hear them at their best means finding a restored pair - and that's not easy in the UK.

Output actually rises at around 30Hz and is good to 25Hz odd. And according to Alvin Gold's review, they do not need a sub. No CLX type limitations here. Or so the story goes. I'm not under any illusions that bass output would be equivalent to the CLX plus 2x Descent I's in full swing, however.

But I have a Descent, which I'll try with them when they arrive. I'm hoping to be able to let my Ascent/Descent combo go, though. It'll help pay for the Apogees to a fair extent.

We sold the Duetta when they were a new design and IMO, and based on recall, they don't need a sub. They don't have the "slam" of a cone woofer but they do go low depending on the room. This is one of the best speakers I've heard in my own room (at the time), driven by ML-2 monos, but size ruled them out. The Scintilla was an all around better speaker, but only when set to one ohm, yes that's right one ohm nominal, but ate amps for lunch.

Justin have you posted your pics on the Apogee Acoustics Users Group?

No, but I have e-mailed a link to the restorer, so he can see the appreciative comments on this thread.

I'll do a post on the Apogee site when I have them.

We sold the Duetta when they were a new design and IMO, and based on recall, they don't need a sub. They don't have the "slam" of a cone woofer but they do go low depending on the room. This is one of the best speakers I've heard in my own room (at the time), driven by ML-2 monos, but size ruled them out. The Scintilla was an all around better speaker, but only when set to one ohm, yes that's right one ohm nominal, but ate amps for lunch.

They went Duetta, Duetta II the then Duetta Sigs. The first two didn't seem to get great reviews. The Sig seems to have gotten glorius ones. Not sure what significant design change made all the difference, TBH. The Scintilla may well better the DS, as you say. I'll ask the restorer what he thinks.

Back