Mss hifi

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDSPHOTO

Reaction score
Has anyone ever purchased any equipment from this outfit? I see that they have a few used and new ML pieces, just wondered if they were reputable?

Thanks

I have and it worked out very well. Very honest and good communication. I got my CJ premier 16LS from them.

I have and my Summits should arrive tomorrow.

As Cherian said, excellent communication and they were willing to work with me on payment terms. Good seller.

Everything has been great so far, but if an issue arises I'll let you know. From the interaction I've had with them, I don't expect that to be the case.

Johnny Boey, formerly d.b.a. JB Audio Pimp. I advise reading his sales policies before doing anything...they will make you cringe, especially #3 and #4. They refuse to answer a lot of questions. Gray market, except for a few lines--i.e., no warranty. I know of one manufacturer that supposedly tore up his dealer contract and refunded his initial order when they realized who it was...strangely, he had wire transferred the money instead of sending a check, which typically only dealers outside the US do. One can only conclude he was trying to slip it by them. Might be quick to ship orders but not a nice person. IMO of course.

They have a sreaming deal on the PS Audio Power Plant Premiere's right now. If you have an older Power Plant you can exchange it for the new unit at a great rebate. If I were to trade in my old PS-600 I could get the PP Premiere for $750.00. That's like selling my 600 for $1500.00.

I'm giving it some thought, although both Brian and Jeff (Tonepub) have both said he's not exactly a nice guy in the past. Where did I put my moral compass?

I recall reading in their A'gon ads that they changed the name to MSS because they have NEW owners/management. I guess time will tell what their new business practices truly are.

I personally would not buy anything from a pimp or a hoe lol.

BTW I personally think its in bad taste for one seller to comment on another

Hi Fish,

Totally agree with your second statement. Appears to be somewhat self serving IMHO.

GG

Fish and Gordon, you are free to think what you want, but my comments are based on a lot more facts than presented and given for the purpose of alerting others to what they might overlook. A price is a price, but there are many retailers who work their backsides off supporting customers and their suppliers besides having very fair prices. I'm not the only one, and JB is far away so as to have little effect on things here. I have many years' experience as a consumer with the scars to prove it, and my point is gray market sellers hurt everyone, including consumers, whether you realize it or not.

I have used them to buy used gear. I bought an MBL 5011 amp and after a week or so in my system I really liked it, but felt I should go the "whole monty" and get the 6010 instead. I requested to keep the 5011 and compare the two. They sent me the 6010, charged the difference on the upgrade and just put a hold amount my credit card for the return of the MBL 5011. Of course I ate the shipping, but the whole experience was straightforward and they were fast and easy to deal with.

I would recommend them as a no nonsense outfit, very businesslike and lowest pricing for used gear. A lot of their used gear comes from NY owners who regularly change out things and have high end taste and bank accounts to go with it. Both the MBL amps I got were in perfect condition and relatively new as well, coming from good homes no doubt.

As Brain points out, for new gear, you should get a whole different experience and I would therefore never buy new gear from a reseller.

Steve

I personally would not buy anything from a pimp or a hoe

A wise man once told me their are only 2 kinds of people in this world.

"Pimps and Whores"

You either have people working for you or you work for someone else.

Unfortunatley most of my life I've been a whore.
My one try at Pimping almost ended in financial disaster.

A wise man once told me their are only 2 kinds of people in this world.

"Pimps and Whores"

You either have people working for you or you work for someone else.

Unfortunatley most of my life I've been a whore.
My one try at Pimping almost ended in financial disaster.

all of life summed up in a couple of lines I love it. believe me I have been a pimp for many years and its a rough game keeping the hoes in check !

just remember hate the game not the player

Fish and Gordon, you are free to think what you want, but my comments are based on a lot more facts than presented and given for the purpose of alerting others to what they might overlook. A price is a price, but there are many retailers who work their backsides off supporting customers and their suppliers besides having very fair prices. I'm not the only one, and JB is far away so as to have little effect on things here. I have many years' experience as a consumer with the scars to prove it, and my point is gray market sellers hurt everyone, including consumers, whether you realize it or not.

Grey markets keep guys like you on your toes and on the up and up.

Brian,

I understand your perspective and appreciate your personal observations regarding this particular person. I also assume it is well intentioned and for that, I thank you.

Having said that, there appears to be folks that are quite satisfied with their encounters with this person.

I had a chance to talk to him about purchasing a used Cary 306 SACD CDP. I ended up not purchasing from him because I found a dealer demo unit with full warranty for a comparable price.

I called him back and told him I was going to purchase from another party. I also told him why. He responded by saying that he totally understood and indicated that he would do the exact same thing if he were in my position.

He was very polite, professional, and totally forthcoming. I didn't have any sense of discomfort.

Regarding the "grey" market, my assumption is that he is merely turning used gear and not violating any ethical standards required by manufacturers.

Perhaps I am naive and if I am, I apologize.

But, I would hope you can understand why some would think that there is an obvious conflict of interest.

Respecfully,

Gordon

PS: I, for one, am very glad to have you and Houston Shark as ML Club members since you can provide us your perspective from a "dealer" standpoint.

Last edited:
Brian,

Regarding the "grey" market, my assumption is that he is merely turning used gear and not violating any ethical standards required by manufacturers.

trust me its sad to say but most dealers are in it for the money and would prefer you threw your used gear in the garbage heap.

Perhaps I am naive and if I am, I apologize.

No apology necessary, Gordon. His M.O. and 'ethics' regarding new equipment become apparent, though, when you read this page on his old website. Clearly gray market, to which I take exception and think others do, too, including educated consumers.

I have no problem with him offering used equipment for sale at prices people are willing to pay. More power to him and sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

Thank you for understanding and sharing your views.

Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I bought my summits from the pimp (mss hifi) about 3 weeks ago. I auditioned them in his showroom prior to purchase. The salespeople there are very accommodating and low pressure. It was a very positive experience compared to dealing with my local dealers.

Hello,
I gotta agree with some of Brian's points. That whole "secret investor" stuff has got to be ruinous for Hifi shops who play by the rules. I honestly do not understand how old school stereo emporiums without CI (custom install) can stay afloat in these conditions.

For us consumers, being able to find dCS gear for Pennies on the Dollar is undeniably sweet. However, as fewer and fewer shops can stay afloat, it many soon prove impossible to audition gear in a properly setup space.

For those of us who choose to sell off some unneeded gear, Mss/JB prices are often lower than what individuals are asking for gear. Which I suppose gives credence to the contention that audiophiles stand to lose something as well.
Cheers,
ML

Has anyone ever purchased any equipment from this outfit? I see that they have a few used and new ML pieces, just wondered if they were reputable?

Thanks

I have not, but I pinged them the other day about a pair of Spectral amps claimed to have been dealer demos and they would not give me the serial numbers and the name of the Spectral dealer. This is suspicious at best, as no Spectral dealer (all four of them in the US!) would unload their best amps to anyone but a customer directly, because they can get a premium since the warranty still applies, they are selling like hot cakes, and Spectral does not repair anything not purchased from a dealer and most consumers know that. And frankly, I know the Spectral dealer here hasn't sold his pair yet...

So I suspect these may have been dealer demos at SOME point but have had other owners since, so buying them from a non-authorized dealer leaves one out cold in case something goes wrong down the road.

I don't like doing business with people who are not forthcoming to support their claims, and this one instance is enough for me to smell a rat with that operation... Glad to read that others' transactions have gone really well.

Here's the audiogon ad that claims they are dealer demos: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1244662766&/Spectral-DMA-360-Reference-(sa

And here's the claim on their web site:
Spectral DMA-360 monoblock amplifiers $9950 (MSRP $18,000) sale pending in USA
- original boxes. Truly state-of-the-art at a rather affordable price point. Only one previous owner in NYC.

Last edited:
Spectral: A very perceptive post.

If I didn't already say it above, it is not my place to comment about other retailers without reason to believe there is something less than honorable.

The sales policies #3 and 4 to which I referred in my first post in this thread can be seen in an archived version of his old website here (scroll down).

Back