"Scooter talk 2010"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that thing looks great! I saw a New Norton at the Cycle World show, oh, 5 years ago I think. I thought the company went under (again).

Wow, that thing looks great! I saw a New Norton at the Cycle World show, oh, 5 years ago I think. I thought the company went under (again).

You are right, it did go under again. But an Englishman named Garner bought the Kenny Dreer design and he is now making "New Nortons", which is what the Green bike is. I just couldn't wait, so 18 months ago I decided to make a "New Norton" which is based on Kenny Dreer's design which you see below. You see, I also have one of 50 "New Nortons" that Kenny Dreer Designed and built. Of the 50 I have one of 6 "All-Alloy" VR880 Nortons. It was this bike that my brother and I based the new Black and Yellow VR 880 that you see above.

As you can see, it is pretty much a clone, just not "All Alloy", instead the body work is in fiberglass.

In fact, at the bottom it is next to one of the "New Nortons", in Yellow. Personally I prefer the VR880 over the 952 or 961 which are the REAL New Nortons of today........... but beggers can't be choosers.:D

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
72 degrees here today, me and couple of my bud's took a nice little three hour 'putt' for breakfast, first ride of the new season.......felt good !

Check out HD's new Scooter.......me likes !! .....:D

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_U..._US&bmLocale=en_US#/model/xl1200x/accessories

swap out the pipes with a nice set of 'wrapped' ones and you're all set !

Yesterday I attended the International Master Bike Builder show at the local HD shop. There was one of these entered in the show with a set of ape hangers with all hidden wiring and cool black exhaust that looked bad ass. Oh, and I took first place in the metric category with my Roadstar!!!!

uh oh...

2006 BMW R1200 GS Adventure. Original owner is 69 years old. Bike has 6800 miles on it. His wife says she doesn't like riding on it anymore, so on Friday I'm flying to Arizona and riding it back home to NorCal.

I love my Honda, but it's time for a more modern bike suited for touring... oh yeah, and I can actually get parts for this bike. :D

Attachments

• 2006 GSA Right Side View (Medium).jpg
    2006 GSA Right Side View (Medium).jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 121
hey Tom, Congrats ! .....I can understand why she dosent like riding on it....that's one miserable looking backrest ! but as for yourself, should be a very competent touring machine !

Ride safe, keep us posted of the return journey !

Awesome, Tom. You'll find that once you cross over to the dark side, :rocker: you'll never want to ride anything else. I love my GS!

Awesome, Tom. You'll find that once you cross over to the dark side, :rocker: you'll never want to ride anything else. I love my GS!

Hey Steve,
Yeah, I rented one a few years back and really liked it.. SO easy to ride and love the "go anywhere" feeling. What year is yours? Does it have the servo-assisted brakes? what's your take on that? 2006 was the last year for them, and I've heard they're expensive to fix.

Mine's a 2005. I got one of the first ones they produced. Had to wait months for it to be built and shipped. I haven't had any problem with the servo brakes. I think it is a complexity that probably wasn't needed, but the brakes are very, very good. Besides, we've had power brakes on cars for years now.

As far as expense goes, I haven't had any maintenance expense other than the normal six thousand mile service. My last BMW, a K12RS, went almost 60,000 miles before its first issue, which cost about $500 to fix. When I sold it, it looked and ran like new.

You made a great choice in a bike. I've been riding for over forty years now and one thing I will tell you about the GS, it will go through just about anything. Where lesser bikes would be falling apart, it will just keep chugging along. You will come to think of it as a trip or riding partner, not as just a machine, as you may think of a lot of other bikes.

An enjoyable '911 weekend' ride

As we remebered all those who made the ultimate sacrifice this weekend my buddies and I did a little 730 mile ride to West Point USMA, Orange County Choppers, through the Catskill mtns up to Copperstown and returned this afternoon. The bikes ran good with the chrome sides staying upright.

After doing Anapolis last year and this year West Point we now have our sights set on USAF Acadamey in Colorado for next year.

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 129
Wow, some nice bikes here in this thread. Very diverse mix. Love the Norton restoration!

Here's my weapon of choice:

4934943279_b934a90400_b.jpg

We love playin with Busa's down here:D

Attachments

• pic003.jpg
    pic003.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Grazia and likewise really Nice Busa what mods have you done ? looks like an aftermarket exhaust anything else ?

Grazia and likewise really Nice Busa what mods have you done ? looks like an aftermarket exhaust anything else ?

Not much...mostly comfort oriented mods. That photo shows a sport-touring windscreen which I just replaced with a more aggressive one.

The full exhaust adds a few hp, but more importantly sheds 35 lbs - roughly a 7% weight decrease.

With the bike already capable of 0-60 at 2.6 seconds and 1/4 mile in the mid 9's from the factory, it's already fast enough for me. Some people add turbos to them which just seems like overkill for a street bike. Power to weight ratio of 1:2? Better stretch the rear swingarm 6" and lower the bike. Forget about doing anything but running in a straight line then.

I guess they do that on the off chance they run across a tuned Supra. :D

Back