"Scooter talk 2010"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me likes Dave,
Need to change the pipes and remove those turn signals off the fender, custom paint job on the gas tank and your good to go.

Now the hard part, Convincing Wilma I really need one.

Same size engine as the VTX 1300, 1312 cc's

No retail listed yet.

Wayne I agree wholeheartedly with the changes you suggest. I just got done reading the write-up in 'Cruiser' magazine and think you might just be a tad-bit to tall to fit comfortably on it.

FWIW, there is a show out your way this weekend so maybe you could check it out, tell Wilma your thinking about getting one for her for Valentines day !

I wonder about MSRP ??? they gotta keep it south of say 15 or even 14k don't you think ??

I'll have to take one for a test drive when they hit the local dealership, might be an after market kit to move the pegs, shifter and brake pedal forward.

Yeah I've been to that bike show a couple of times, but Sunday I'm heading to Burkes to check out his new room and the 10b's.

Hopefully the retails to high to tempt me.

Meh. Wake me when this alleged V-5 VFR replacement makes the light of day. IMO Honda has lost it.

The bike that is a wet dream to me is the new Ducati 1198S. Two words - "Traction Control". That means give it full throttle while you're cranked over so you can exit corners like no other production bike on earth. Drool.

Yeah, it's looking like that 1198 might turn out to be something! :)
Now, of course, that one Mr. Spies in going to MotoGP.

the one I'm excited about is the BMW S1000RR 193 HP traction control , ABS

I cant wait to twist the grip on that one this spring:D

Attachments

• color_s1000rr_thunder_1024x768_dark.jpg
    color_s1000rr_thunder_1024x768_dark.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
What's so wrong with shaft drive?

Nothing.....except that unless done 'right' they are visualy unappealing...have you ever notice that the shaft driver bike are almost always photographed from the opposite side ???

Also FWIW, they are the most HP 'robbing' of the three drives.

Dave, I always thought that a "scooter" was something made by Vespa.

They are and alot of others as well....basically any bike that you're able to 'step-through' is considered a scooter.

FWIW, some HD enthusiast have for years called their rides.."scooters"

Wow Larry...that's a sweet looking ride, reminds me of the Yammie R-1 I believe. Man it seems like yesterday...BMW's were as homely as all get out (of course MO), as of late they have really come around and their looks match the engineering !

Wow Larry...that's a sweet looking ride, reminds me of the Yammie R-1 I believe. Man it seems like yesterday...BMW's were as homely as all get out (of course MO), as of late they have really come around and their looks match the engineering !

Dave , happy holidays yes BMW has come a long way from the the 2 horizontal cylinders sticking out on each side

I fell in love with this bike and will be looking hard at it this spring it may be more than an old man should swing his leg over but with the traction control and ABS I think I can get back in the saddle so to speak without undue bodily harm

Last edited:
Nothing.....except that unless done 'right' they are visualy unappealing...have you ever notice that the shaft driver bike are almost always photographed from the opposite side ???

Also FWIW, they are the most HP 'robbing' of the three drives.

Dave, that's only true if the chain drives are in perfect condition and settings. Torque a chain drive a little too tight or a little too loose and it becomes the most HP robbing. Also, wear and tear on the chain and the sprockets take away from their efficiency. The beauty of the shaft drive is consistency and maintenance free. Properly designed, like the BMWs, they have little negative effect on handling, either.

Just finished

Don't know whether you guys have seen the new Nortons that have just been announced but I decided to build a new Norton for 2010. They are sort of retro and may or may not be your cup of tea.

I just finished mine. Started with a basic basket case loaner bike 18 months ago and stripped it down to nothing. Took every last nut and bolt off of it.

Reconfigured and rewelded the frame, put a Marzzochi front-end on it, used a Triumph T160 rear setup, then added a custom wire harness, all new electronics, Ducati switch gear. Rebuilt the motor with the latest and greatest technology, balanced everything. Custom built electric start, belt primary, flat-slide carb, real Dunstall exhaust, lots of alloy bits and VR880 body work in yellow and black, and now I have a "New Norton VR880 Commando Sprint Special" ala Kenny Dreer design.

This thing is a ball to ride and looks the part and is not far off the new Norton 961 design. Probably the best part is that you don't see yourself coming or going like you do with all the mainstream bikes.

And looking at the Green picture, I guess I will probably still get a New Norton as soon as they start shipping here in the states, it would make a nice matched set.:D

Attachments

• js800_DSCF0078.jpg
    js800_DSCF0078.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 184
  • js800_DSC01817.jpg
    js800_DSC01817.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 191
  • js800_DSC01857.jpg
    js800_DSC01857.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 192
  • js800_DSC01827.jpg
    js800_DSC01827.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 191
  • js800_Commando-961-Sport-BRG.jpg
    js800_Commando-961-Sport-BRG.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 186
Awesome job! I had a '74 Commando. When I got it, it was that same butt ugly orange, but a painter buddy of mine put about fourteen coats of Corvette Blue Metallic on it. I really loved that bike.

Back