Hello to everyone

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlgibbs

Reaction score
Happy New Year and hello. New Martin Logan Aerius owner here. I can plainly see by reading various threads within the fora that there is a wealth of audio knowledge about. I'm a music lover and a bit of a gear junkie. Friends come to my house and see all my equipment and assume I know a lot about audio but I know better. My equipment is a hodge podge of components, some decent, others less than. So my plan is to lurk here and try to learn a bit before asking redundent questions. Although I have not yet found a thread addressing the pairing of the Aerius with an Adcom GFA555 like I have, I suspect it may be less than ideal. That said I recognize the potential of my Aerius speakers and intend on keeping them a long while. I am astounded by their accuracy. I am seduced by their elegance.

My Aerius speakers are not set up for bi-amping. I contacted ML and they told me that the back panels with the dual posts for bi-amping are still available for $100 per panel. That would probably be a good investment. I have two of the Adcom amps and I'm thinking that bi-amping the ML's might help while I consider other amp options. :)

tl, Welcome ! Interested in bi-amping........ahhhh, tubes on the panels and your Adcom on the bottom end ! makings of possible sweet combo !

Welcome, from another Aerius owner! I've had mine since '95, but never really heard what they could really do until I treated my listening room with some acoustical treatments. I, like Dave, really like what tubes do to the panels, but even bi-amping with solid state gear might be an improvement over not bi-amping. Since you already have the amps, it sounds like the way to go.

Welcome. Like Dave said go tube on the panel and Adcom on the bass. I have heard the Adcom 5500 IIRC on a set here in MI and it was a bit thin sounding !

Happy New Year and hello. ....
Although I have not yet found a thread addressing the pairing of the Aerius with an Adcom GFA555 like I have, I suspect it may be less than ideal. That said I recognize the potential of my Aerius speakers and intend on keeping them a long while. I am astounded by their accuracy. I am seduced by their elegance.

My Aerius speakers are not set up for bi-amping. I contacted ML and they told me that the back panels with the dual posts for bi-amping are still available for $100 per panel. That would probably be a good investment. I have two of the Adcom amps and I'm thinking that bi-amping the ML's might help while I consider other amp options. :)

Hi, welcome and happy new years!

I had a GFA-555 at one point, and used it for a bit on my Sequels. However, it ran out of gas pretty quick and would not sound as clean as what I later replaced the Adcom with.

My fix, and it’s lasted for >15 years now, was to put in a Sunfire amp. Boy was that night and day!

So my recommendation is to find a nice used Sunfire Stereo (or a cinema Grand, and use 4 of the channels for bi-amping). And use the Sunfire on the panels, and the Adcom on the woofers (its fine for that)

Enjoy your new ML’s :cool:

Welcome. Like Dave said go tube on the panel and Adcom on the bass.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on this amp: http://store.triodestore.com/st70buildkit.html

It is a Dynaco st-70 clone and according to the website a better amp than the original. Given that I am on a restricted budget how would this DIY kit compare to other options in the same price range?

Hi there....

I wanted to get into the tube amp world myself recently and purhased this amp kit:

http://bob01605.50webs.com/

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dynaco-"ST-120"...ItemQQimsxZ20081229?IMSfp=TL081229119009r2295

Bob Latino has been great and answered a whole bunch of questions prior to sale. I would recommend checking it out. It is more powerful than a Dynaco ST-70 replica (60WPC) and althought I have not finished putting the kit together yet, I like what I have seen so far!!!! And it's been fun!! :D

Shu

Back