Mark Levinson No. 331 for the Logans?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHun

Reaction score
Hi! There is a local opportunity; a Mark Levinson 331 on sale here and I’m wondering if anyone has experience with that for MLs. I have a Monolith III to pair with. I’m currently using a 5 channel Musical Fidelity (supposed to be the A3x5) for bi-amping (and I actually like them) but a Levinson is a great temptation nevertheless.
Any comment is appreciated!
Nick

I have a 335 and it has worked very well for three different ML models. Every time I try to replace it, it beats the competition or is so close that I decide not to spend the money.

For what little it's worth, I found the No.331 / ML Prodigy pairing to be excellent!

Thanks for the feedback

Many thanks for the feedback; I'll try to have a direct comparison then between what I have today and what the 331 can offer. The seller has the same ML Monolith IIIs, so I probably do not need to drag the amps home to me to listen to them, even if that would be the ideal situation.

(The seller is using an Audio Research active xover – dunno which one exactly – while I have the ML xover at home; I wonder how the two measure against each other).

Hi! There is a local opportunity; a Mark Levinson 331 on sale here and I’m wondering if anyone has experience with that for MLs. I have a Monolith III to pair with. I’m currently using a 5 channel Musical Fidelity (supposed to be the A3x5) for bi-amping (and I actually like them) but a Levinson is a great temptation nevertheless.
Any comment is appreciated!
Nick

I am not sure if the purpose if the purpose of your question is to confirm your desire for the unit or to seek dis-confirming evidence (which I personally believe should be goal in making all decisions).

Personally, I found the 331 dull, boring, un-emotional, overly detailed, underpowered and overpriced for my Vantages. You have the Monoliths, which have lower sensitivity specs than my Vantages. Best to hear for yourself!

Good Luck.

Best regards,
David

I agree the Monoliths need Power. If you have the Monolith IIIx then you can always bi-amp. If it is the passive crossover then you can still bi-amp but before you do you have to adjust the switch inside each crossover otherwise it will be a short and you will blow both amps. I used 100 WPC amps on my Monoliths and found them under powered. Again I don't know anything about the ML 331 but I do have monoliths and find the more power you give it the better they shound. If you can listen to your friends monoliths with the 331 then great just make sure it is not bi-amped.

Let me know how it turns out.

Back