Adagio For Strings

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theWB

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good recording of Samuel Barber's Adagio For Strings.

The only one I have is on the Platoon soundtrack which has talking and sound effects from the movie over the song.

Thanks

Can anyone recommend a good recording of Samuel Barber's Adagio For Strings.

The only one I have is on the Platoon soundtrack which has talking and sound effects from the movie over the song.

Thanks

The Eastman Rochester Symphony version is definitive IMO. Conducted by Howard Hanson on Mercury. The Living Presence is SR 90420, the Golden Imports is SRI 75012. Unfortunately both are reprocessed for stereo but the performances are marvelous. I don't know if this is/was still/ever available on CD.

The Eastman Rochester Symphony version is definitive IMO. Conducted by Howard Hanson on Mercury. The Living Presence is SR 90420, the Golden Imports is SRI 75012. Unfortunately both are reprocessed for stereo but the performances are marvelous. I don't know if this is/was still/ever available on CD.

Robert,
Thanks for your response, I had no luck finding it on the web on CD.
Plenty of vinyl available.

I was just listening to this yesterday, great stuff. There is a recording by the St. Louis Symp Orch, conducted by Leonard Slatkin, which I could recommend. Unlike many orchestral recordings that I found hard to listen to as they are sometimes filled with distracting sounds or just poorly recorded, this one is clean and clear, no hiss or distortions. Its on EMI Digital, Library of Congress Catalog Card No. 88-743081, recorded in 1988 and is DDD. It contains five other pieces by Barber, very worth having.

Back