Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TomDac's review of the MartinLogan CLX

Thanks for the great write-up (and all the pics in the other thread) Tom.

I'm eager for more details on the bass panels...

Jonathan

System #45 (Monolith IIIx, Sequell IIb, SL3XC)

Thanks for the great post and review Tom!
    I was totally surprised by the electronics used. Quite 'average' by the standards of this group and quite amazing that it could drive the CLX so easily.

We enjoy the same types of music so I pulled out my Simple Minds Once Upon a Time DVD-A. Since I own the Marantz 7001 (an the Rotel processor is pretty much in the same league as my RSX1067), I thought for sure that I would hear the background on the opening track and then the intro on Sanctify.
    First tried DTS96, then the 2 channel down mix, then the analog outs (by far the cleanest sounding, much more dynamic and livelier) but to no avail.
    Guess I have to experience the CLX on my own.

Anyway, sounds like a pretty amazing experience. Thanks for sharing.
    In the mean time, the DVD-A has the Alive & Kicking video.. one of my favorite songs of all time so I'll just have to listen, enjoy and amuse myself with the 80's video.
    Martin Logan Vista, Grotto i, Vignette, Motion 4 ~ 2Chan: MacBook Air via USB & Oppo BDP-83 -To- Rega DAC -To- Rotel RSX-1560 AVR ~
    http://www.martinloganowners.com/~td...ead.php?t=1795

Great write-up!

Thanks again for this and all the other hard work!

Now my biggest problem is going to be actually finding a pair here in Australia!

I, too, was surprised with the electronics used - wasn't that Parasound the one on which you had your eye cast?
    Marantz 8300 SACD / Squeezebox Touch --> Audiolab M-DAC --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classé CA-101 --> MartinLogan Vista / Behringer DEQ2496 --> Whise Profunder sub

Click here to see my system

Wow Tom that is one heck of a review! Your write up almost made me feel like I'd been there. You did an excellent job conveying all the emotion you experienced listening to the CLX. To say that they impressed I guess would be an understatement! Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us here.

Looks like Martin Logan has a winner!

Seth

awesome, Tom, thanks much!

"The difference between the Summits and CLX is HUGE. Larger soundstage, more bass, more detail."

that says it all...

Great writeup, Tom. I can't wait for the rest of it. Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to do this for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by TomDac View Post
    The difference between the Summits and CLX is HUGE. Larger soundstage, more bass, more detail.
    Undoubtedly. But how huge is the difference? That is the $10,000 question (literally).

I am also intrigued by your assessment that there is more bass with the CLX than the Summits. Are you sure about that? I would have to hear them side-by-side in the same room to believe that. I could believe cleaner, more accurate-sounding bass, but "more" bass than the Summits, with their two 10" woofers and 400 watts of amplification? That would be quite a feat indeed for an electrostatic panel.

Some of these effects you describe (larger soundstage, more bass, more detail) can be an artifact of being well-set up in a great room. As I remember, the Summits sounded exceptionally well in that same room at the get-together last year. I would have to audition the two speakers in the same room to decide if there really was a $10,000 quality difference between the two. Another question of course is how much closer will the upgrades of the Summit X bring it to the performance of the CLX?

Isn't it fun to watch the evolution of such a dynamic and innovative company as Martin Logan?
    Rich

This comment is intended solely for educational purposes and should not be construed as conveying any express or implied warranty of fitness for any other purpose. Said comment constitutes merely the humble opinion of its maker and does not reflect the views of the MLOC or of ML, Ltd. YMMV. Trust your own ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Great writeup, Tom. I can't wait for the rest of it. Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to do this for all of us.

Undoubtedly. But how huge is the difference? That is the $10,000 question (literally).

I am also intrigued by your assessment that there is more bass with the CLX than the Summits. Are you sure about that? I would have to hear them side-by-side in the same room to believe that. I could believe cleaner, more accurate-sounding bass, but "more" bass than the Summits, with their two 10" woofers and 400 watts of amplification? That would be quite a feat indeed for an electrostatic panel.

Some of these effects you describe (larger soundstage, more bass, more detail) can be an artifact of being well-set up in a great room. As I remember, the Summits sounded exceptionally well in that same room at the get-together last year. I would have to audition the two speakers in the same room to decide if there really was a $10,000 quality difference between the two. Another question of course is how much closer will the upgrades of the Summit X bring it to the performance of the CLX?

Isn't it fun to watch the evolution of such a dynamic and innovative company as Martin Logan?
    Definitely sure about the bass being way more.. and it's smoother too... I'm not sure how else to describe it... smooth is the only thing that makes sense to me after hearing it. That entire surface of the bass panel is moving and there are TWO diaphragms!! The bass is astonishing.

Whether or not it's $10K better is not for me to say. It all depends on what you're looking for.

I balked at the price of the Summits... too rich for my blood, so of course the CLX price is way out of my league.

I got home from Lawrence and thankfully my system is still taken apart as we're waiting for new carpet, which gets installed today... When the Summit X comes out, I may be shopping for some used Summits...

and yes, it is REALLY fun not only seeing ML evolve, but being a part of it!
    Last edited by TomDac; 06-18-2008 at 06:58 AM.
    Tom D'Acquisto
    MartinLoganOwners.com owner/operator
    ML Owner from 1988 to 2015 (Sequels, reQuests, Summits, Cinema)
    Currently MartinLoganless
    CL
    ick HERE to see my ML systems of the past.

Click here to see how you can help support this site!

Super User

TomDac,

I got home and logged on around 5:30 (Sat.) and you were in full swing. As I was getting caught up on the thread you were answering questions, listening to more CD's and posting photos.

Thank you for taking us along for the ride!!!
    Satch

Tom,
    You certainly did a great job with the listening report. My thanks for an enjoyable read.

You mentioned that the room is well treated. One thing I realised from treating my current listening room is that the noise floor is much lowered and one is able to hear much more of the recording environment. Also, the bass becomes much tighter and one is able to hear notes more distinctly in the lower registers.

At that price, without doubt, the CLX is expected, and should, sound better than the Summit in most, if not all, aspects. As to how much the gap, it would be difficult to gage unless a pair of Summits is there in the same room for comparison. It's a pity that you were not afforded that opportunity.

I really don't mean to dampen the enthusiasm that is greeting your report, but I'm sure those of us with well treated listening rooms will bear me out. I for one will be looking forward to hearing these speakers very soon. Hopefully, I may even be able to persuade my dealer friend for a pair in my room for comparison.
    Ben
    System # 165 : Summit/Descent i/Stage/Passage

Tom,

great job! Thanks a lot for a good and detailed report!
    What I find most interesting is that you came to pretty similar observations that I had in Munich using a completely different music material.

These speakers truly have set new standards and although I could not test whether they rock your report confirms (what I already suspected) that they really can - and how!

So some of us on this forum already had our second initiation into the ML world with the CLX - something that can't be that easily forgotten

Let's see the others' impressions once the CLX hits the stores!

Oh, BTW, I can very well imagine a smaller CLX popping up in future .... may be somewhat more affordable ...

Regards

Ned

Quote Originally Posted by C.A.P View Post
    The Europeans will eat them up ! They love the detail and do not care about the bass. As Tom said the bass is actually a true 56 hz. That being said Id bet the cls are not that solid at their respective area. I bet they are down 6 db or so ! That is why a sub at 50 hz is perfect !
    No they won't they cost twice as much here! That's TWICE in real terms. Let me make that plain: $45000 for the Anniversary (£22,500). That's why Tom is more than a little incorrect when he said they cost a bit more here.

Anyway, thanks Tom. Run this site for a few more years and I am sure they will give you a pair... er... well... maybe!

Tom

Thanks from us all for your insight and contributions. Even though it was "fun", I know it isn't easy to drag your a-- onto a plane and back again just to listen to a different pair of speakers.

I'm also happy to hear that they DO sound so good...I'm still of the opinion that they are ugly. Of course that comes from the perspective of a svelt sexy Summit owner. I'm sure if I owned Quests or CLS I'd feel differently.
    Jerry Rappaport system 143

Banned

Talking Sad car dealers

$20K? I guess I will not own a Porsche or BMW in this life time. I'll be looking for a home my janis /ML/CLS this fall. when will they launch.

Banned

Default $45k?

big difference between $45k and $20K. that might be a little rich for me blood.

Banned

not really a "CLS" like I was expecting. More like a mini "statement". it still has me rearranging my financial priorities.