My Dog does not want to see my Summits go!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonepub

Reaction score
As you can see from the photo, my dog Jerry does not want to see
the Summits go... He gave me a sad look as I was putting them in
the cartons today.

Not to worry, they are going to another TONE staffer and good
friend of mine in Milwaukee, Wisconsin who has been an electrostatic
fan all of his life.

As for me, I'm thinkin about keeping the Spires that are here or going
for broke, once I listen to the CLX!

Attachments

• jerry_ml.jpg
    jerry_ml.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 329
My dog Charlie wouldn't want to see them go either. He enjoys listening with me, but if I put on an MP3 file he'll get up and walk out!!

I have to apologise, pull him back into the listening room and promise I won't do it again.

So you like the Spires better? CLX definitely, but I can't believe you're getting rid of your Summits?!?!?!?!?!

It's not a better, it's a different...

I'm getting plenty of bass because I have a descent i.

The Spire is a bit more transparent than the Summit.
(again, we are splitting hairs here, it's not a HUGE
difference, but apparent)

If I did not have a good size room and a Descent, I would
keep the Summits, I'd take the extra weight over the last
few drops of transparency. So if you have Summits, it's
all good.

But this guy who writes for us is one of my oldest friends
and just happens to be the guy that got me into the world
of high end audio about 35 years ago. So when he came
out here and listened to mine, he really wanted a pair
so I thought it would be the PERFECT opportunity to step
up to the CLX....

Otherwise I could have lived happily ever after with the Summit.

Of all the speakers I've owned in the last 35 years, they are
still my favorite!

By the same token, if I didn't already have a descent sitting here
with that CLX setting staring back at me, I don't know if I would
jump all the way for the CLX, but it's looking more intriguing
every day....

:)

It's not a better, it's a different...

I'm getting plenty of bass because I have a descent i.

The Spire is a bit more transparent than the Summit.
(again, we are splitting hairs here, it's not a HUGE
difference, but apparent)

If I did not have a good size room and a Descent, I would
keep the Summits, I'd take the extra weight over the last
few drops of transparency. So if you have Summits, it's
all good.

But this guy who writes for us is one of my oldest friends
and just happens to be the guy that got me into the world
of high end audio about 35 years ago. So when he came
out here and listened to mine, he really wanted a pair
so I thought it would be the PERFECT opportunity to step
up to the CLX....

Otherwise I could have lived happily ever after with the Summit.

Of all the speakers I've owned in the last 35 years, they are
still my favorite!

By the same token, if I didn't already have a descent sitting here
with that CLX setting staring back at me, I don't know if I would
jump all the way for the CLX, but it's looking more intriguing
every day....

:)

Jeff,

There have been anywhere between 7-10 pairs of Summits on sale on Audiogon the last few months, and you are moving yours. I sort of understand why you are getting rid of yours. Seems like you are breaking even soundwise with a Depth and Spire, but the hassle factor may be too much. But why is everyone else selling them? Are people sick of them? Is this a case of the grass is greener? Is this a typical trend in the industry to jump on something new?

If I didn't have someone within the TONE organization that wanted them, I would have just kept them.

Part of my serious thought of moving to the CLX is that I'm one of the few audio writers that use Martin Logan. I think I've only seen a couple others and none of the publishers have them, so I thought it befitting to ML to use their flagship speaker in my reference system.

My room just works perfectly with the Descent, and because it's a dedicated room and not my living room the extra cables, etc. are no problem at all.

That's why the potential aesthetics of the CLX don't matter to me either. My room is for evaluating gear. Doesn't matter what anything looks like in here!!

I'm really thinking/hoping its going to be the best of both worlds, combining the flat and curved panel. There were certainly a few things I really liked about the Final speakers, so I'm hoping this flat panel woofer is awesome!

Jeff,

There have been anywhere between 7-10 pairs of Summits on sale on Audiogon the last few months, and you are moving yours. I sort of understand why you are getting rid of yours. Seems like you are breaking even soundwise with a Depth and Spire, but the hassle factor may be too much. But why is everyone else selling them? Are people sick of them? Is this a case of the grass is greener? Is this a typical trend in the industry to jump on something new?

I think it's the news of the CLX... perhaps people are getting ready.

That said, I don't know why there's been an upswing of for sale Summits. It's not that odd though, I also noticed there's been a LOT more BW 802D for sale on audiogon lately also. Before, I'd barely see 1 or 2. Today I think I saw double or triple that number.

It's probably the economy.... maybe.

7-10 Summits over a few month period is alot? I'm not sure why you think

that.

It's not a lot in an absolute sense, but it is a lot relative to what it was very recently. Six months ago, there would be 1 or 2 pairs at most, if any at all. People are definitely trying to move them. Our own Joey almost got the Quads.

It's not a lot in an absolute sense, but it is a lot relative to what it was very recently. Six months ago, there would be 1 or 2 pairs at most, if any at all. People are definitely trying to move them. Our own Joey almost got the Quads.

Yes... but David look at the number of other expensive speakers on audiogon.

Wilson Alexandria X2 - there are 3 pairs for sale! I've never even seen more than 1 or 0 at a time on there. Not to mention the other 3 Wilson X-1 for sale.

BW 802D and 800D combine for 7 for sale on audiogon - again, double of what I know them to be normally.

It's probably the economy...

OR... it could be upgraditis - the CLX is coming out and perhaps there is word spreading about a Summit replacement.

I mean, look at the number of Sonus Faber Cremonas for sale (due to the Cremona M release)... 5 or 6 on the 'gon curently!

Im picking upgraditis...

I meet a ton of people that no matter how great their system sounds, they just want to try something else.

Except I don't know where you would go from a pair of X-2's....

I just watched the Transformers HD-DVD last night and I am trying to imagine what kind of bot the Wilson Alexandria X2 would become if it received a shock from the cube.

Im picking upgraditis...

I meet a ton of people that no matter how great their system sounds, they just want to try something else.

Except I don't know where you would go from a pair of X-2's....

MBLs are supposed to be decent.

...though only brain surgeons and corporate executives can afford those.

I love when people get upgrade-itus. It makes us regular folk be able to profit by buying their new gear at large discount ! Let them buy it , take the depreciation and the retail mark up. You buy it from them with out the loss! You get a nearly new broken in speakers or gear ;) !

Yes... but David look at the number of other expensive speakers on audiogon.

Wilson Alexandria X2 - there are 3 pairs for sale! I've never even seen more than 1 or 0 at a time on there. Not to mention the other 3 Wilson X-1 for sale.

BW 802D and 800D combine for 7 for sale on audiogon - again, double of what I know them to be normally.

It's probably the economy...

OR... it could be upgraditis - the CLX is coming out and perhaps there is word spreading about a Summit replacement.

I mean, look at the number of Sonus Faber Cremonas for sale (due to the Cremona M release)... 5 or 6 on the 'gon curently!

Joey,

We posted almost simultaneously and I did not realize that!

There are probably several causes: I think you are right, and the economy may play a part, also many of the sellers are dealers looking to get cash in to order the CLX, and there is always the desire to upgrade. There may be others also. I am curious how these factors weigh against one another. I would bet on upgrade-itis. There are 2-4 of the well reviewed Revel Salon 2's there also. People may have gotten those and are thirsting for something greater. With the expensive Wilsons, I think those are usually rich old men who need to sell because they are moving into the nursing home.

I am told from a reliable source that an upgraded Summit is definitely on the way.

I vote for un updated but slightly smaller Monolith with a stat to woofer crossover at about 150-180 hz...I might give up my CLS for that:bowdown:

Back