Can acoustic panels be painted?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, GIK's push to design acoustic treatments with decor/WAF in mind goes a LONG ways towards making their implementation more feasible. Even if (by chance) their performance is only 80% of what traditional FUGLY treatments provide, it's still better than NO treatment at all. I sure hope other acoustic treatment manufacturers will follow suit!

Alan,
You'll have to let us know your thoughts once you get them in place.
I've seen them on their site and have been reluctant to order, unsure of their effectiveness. Very good idea if they are effective.

Yet more WAF-friendly acoustic treatments are now coming to market! Ethan Winer/RealTraps is now offering a combination corner bass trap/planter. They're relatively small, but still (somewhat) effective as shown in their acoustic measurements here...
[URL="http://www.realtraps.com/p_planter.htm"]http://www.realtraps.com/p_planter.htm[/URL]

The GIK Pillar Trap and Table Trap I have on order have a much larger absorptive surface, so I expect they'll be even more functional. Heck, maybe I'll put a RealTraps Planter on top of the GIK pillar! I wonder how long it'll be before we see an HGTV Audiophile Room Makeover episode!

Attached Thumbnails:

Here's another interesting option for WAF-friendly DIY panels... woodgrain fabric. Found this source for 100% cotton fabric with various wood grain patterns, only caveat is it costs $42/yard... http://www.tortoiselife.com/new/itempage/woodenprintfabric.html

Sometime down the road I might look into making "faux wood beam" acoustic panels for my cathedral ceiling.

Attachments

• woodfabric2.jpg
    woodfabric2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 337
Here's an interesting "artsy" wooden diffusor design, that I saw on 6moons.com, from a German firm. No idea if it'll be available in the U.S., nor what pricing (likely $$$$), but it definitely has big-time WAF!

http://www.thomas-labusga.com

Attachments

• diffusor.jpg
    diffusor.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 252
Well, after lots of gut-wrenching decisions, here's the final result of my acoustics upgrade project. Rather than re-post all the pics and commentary, just click on my system link for all the gory details!

Attachments

• Overview8-08 (Medium).jpg
    Overview8-08 (Medium).jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 236
Wife was out of town this weekend, so I did some EXTENSIVE listening and acoustic panel experimentation. I was surprised to find that the tall silk trees I placed behind my Summits, alone, are better for overall acoustics than the wall-mounted 2' x 4' panels! Playing my standard "test tracks" compilation, and changing no other variables, I listened to 4 different configurations...
1- Summits alone, with NO panels or trees- My baseline setup. Slightly boomy bass, smeared imaging, and slightly shrill highs.
2- Summits with 2' x 2' angled floor panels and 2' x 4' wall panels- Imaging and bass much improved, with a deeper soundstage, but highs slightly rolled off.
3- As above, with addition of tall silk trees for added diffusion- This was the first time I really got to compare the effect of the trees/panels combo... the highs are really too rolled off, and the soundstage lacks "presence" due to the loss of any reverb. In other words, sounds very overdamped.
4- Summits with 2' x 2' floor panels (no wall panels) plus trees- Superb imaging, tight bass, and natural sounding highs. The angled floor panels do a great job of bass trapping, without absorbing the highs, and the trees add sufficient diffusion to minimize rear wave cancellation effects, while preserving tight imaging, and the "presence" of "live" sound. Quite impressive!

So, I ended up with the two 2' x 4' panels to place elsewhere. I put one behind my component rack (left side), and it yielded a more centered image by balancing the (right-sided) open walkway on my front wall. I should have considered that anomaly all along! Not sure what I'll do with the remaining 2' x 4' panel, but might cut it to fit behind my low console cabinet. I'm really glad I got both 2' x 2' and 2' x 4' panels, which allowed such flexibility!

So, for those of you entering the realm of acoustic treatments, don't sell short the idea of using silk trees for back wave diffusion along with judicious use of acoustic panels. Not only are they decor-friendly, but they work!

Latest posts

Back