Bass response to die for!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audioseduction

Reaction score
I decided to place under my sub a 2” thick piece of Mahogany board supported by brass spikes underneath it. I am astonished on how much it improved on the lower bass frequencies by tightening up & providing a more solid feel minus the boomyness. Below is a photo of the sub placed on top of the board. I’d say it’s a tweak worth doing for obtaining that perfect bass response in the lower registers. Very happy!!! :music:

hifid.jpg

Same kind of idea that Dave came up with for his DD15 I think. You guys really have me thinking about making sure I have some isolating platform for when I get a sub.

:music:

Maybe we need to put our Summits (with their down-firing woofer) on platforms! Perhaps granite or wood. Who wants to go first? I say... let Joey do it! :D

Maybe we need to put our Summits (with their down-firing woofer) on platforms! Perhaps granite or wood. Who wants to go first? I say... let Joey do it! :D

I actually did this with my Vantages a couple of weeks ago. Even though they don't have a downward firing woofer, bass stability has improved considerably. I guess the weight and hardness of the stone contributes to a better decoupling from the floor. I got two 18"x18" black galaxy granite squares (mirror black with the sparkly stuff, to match the black front of the speakers) and I am quite pleased aesthetically and sonically.

The speakers look really good resting on their spikes directly over the granite. The mirror image under them gives the illusion that they're floating. The pair of squares cost about $40 including shipping from an online stone shop in CA.

I am contemplating getting a few additional squares to lay on the floor under the platforms of the amp and CDP. With some spikes like the Mapleshade, the effect should be beneficial, again both aesthetically and sonically.

Isolation really does help give your bass some snap and focus.

If you have a habitat for humanity location nearby, stop on in and check to see if they have any marble slabs on hand(usually extras that are discarded by builders). EXCELLENT isolation material.

Same kind of idea that Dave came up with for his DD15 I think. You guys really have me thinking about making sure I have some isolating platform for when I get a sub.
Jeff Z is responsible for starting this "sub tweak", which I now use, which I passed on to Twich and Eknudson, and now rampage60 uses. It is a great cheap effective tweak - something we are all looking for.

Alan,

Just like you're busy, I'm busy too! How did this happen? I'm like a relaxed type of guy, now I'm studying from 9am to 1am!!! I can't do this platform thing-a-majig testing business you talk about... atleast, not just yet. Besides, that tweak with Jason's spikes still has me reeled. :D

Dan,

Gotta give credit to Jeff. I apologize for not thinking about the guy. I do recollect that you had them on your subs, but I'm not able to think further back to Jeff's. Ah well.... chalk it up to dead braincells.

Joey

I do not have a picture here at work but if anyone wants to see what I did, just me know. It is basically designed similarly to the Bright Star Audio products but built to my specific design.

Jeff:cool:

You should try the same thing but using a piece of 1/2-inch thick pressed wood instead. The reason I suggest this is the following (way well not be valid - suck it and see): I used to have 1-inch thick MDF shelves on my Atlantis Symphony 1 stands, and on one occasion I temporarily moved my power amp onto a piece of pressed wood sitting on the floor; I was astounded at how much better it sounded. I then replaced all of the shelves with 1/2-inch pressed wood.

The best platform I've tried is made of ebony - remember the Shun Mook? - yes, the same kind of wood. It's the densest kind of wood available, almost as heavy as stone.

Different types and makes of wood will give different results as each has its own resonance or sound to it. With this in mind, I am not surprised by the different tweaks people have stated here for stands or supports.

I tried searching for a block of granite to put my speakers on before (ML Mosaics) and I never found one. I went to my local hardware shops, local home depots... nothing.

Where do you guys think they are sold? Probably those home improvement contractors?

I tried searching for a block of granite to put my speakers on before (ML Mosaics) and I never found one. I went to my local hardware shops, local home depots... nothing.

Where do you guys think they are sold? Probably those home improvement contractors?
Try someplace that sells headstones.....just in time for Halloween !!! :D

Try contacting a contractor that does kitchen countertops, they should be able to point you in the right direction in your area. I would suspect a shop specializing in marble and granite should be able to help you out.

Try contacting a contractor that does kitchen countertops, they should be able to point you in the right direction in your area. I would suspect a shop specializing in marble and granite should be able to help you out.

Thanks Dave, as always. ;)

I bought my slabs from here.

I had been thinking about a good source for isolation bases and I going to try contacting a local shop that cuts custom granite countertops. They have to cut a piece out for the sink opening.
I plan on checking on that when I get home in December.

Lee

Back