The Death of Rap "Music"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If only it did completely die :(

It seems unfair that some genres essentially die, like Soul of the 50s and 60s did, but I don't see rap going completely dead for many many years.

Man I hope your wrong !!! besides I don't even consider it music, I actually think 'white noise' has more going for it !!

Rap is at a crossroads and needs to evolve, again.

I'm not a rap fan (although I do consider it music without needing to quality it as "music"). The original rap was a fresh new sound.

'Gangsta' rap evolved from original rap and is now very, very long in the tooth. You can barely tell the current rap songs or rap videos from one another - just the same cliches over and over and over.

Some fusion of the rap stylings with another genre will likely be the future - perhaps a return to more intimate/acoustic rap more reminiscent of a group of youths in the street without big budget studio will be the next big thing. Who knows.

Music tells a story, and it is hard to argue that rap tells a story - it's just lately been the same story over and over and over...

/edit: For some 'new rap' that I actually LIKE, check out "The Streets" (a UK band) concept album "A Grand Don't Come for Free". Minimalistic but the story is fantastic! All the songs link into one big story. It was daring and different and sold very well, although never hit it big in the US.

-Allen

Rap is at a crossroads and needs to evolve, again.

Allen,

I think it needs to become extinct, not evolve! Though like you I have to say the early Rap was not all bad. There were more than a few artists who were actually DECENT role models for kids who listened! MC Hammer comes to mind. Look where he is today... BROKE! Well, he is rebuilding now, but he lost EVERYTHING and I guess that is what it takes some times.

I certainly am no fan or rap. But I gotta say that it is still much easier to hear then todays heavy metal. This is coming from a metal / hard rock fan! Grew up loving Metallica. Compared to todays metal bands who just scream and groan into a mic over distortion, they look pretty mainstream anymore.

I suspect that if anyone could understand the metal lyrics they'd quickly forget about the gangsta rap references to guns and ho's.

I think it's another excample of everyone going to the extreme to be cool and sell stuff.

Does anyone remember the Young MC?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_MC

When he and MC Hammer came out, I have to say that I really enjoyed their new style of "music". And I don't know if you could really even compare or consider that style to be part of the same genre as the "Rap" of today. It wasn't based on shooting cops, or struggles and crime in the street, they didn't seem to take pride in being the lowest of the low members of society "in the 'hood". Though I did find it to be quite a bit of "I'm a better rapper than anyone around", and "no one can beat my rhyming" etc... So I quickly got tired of the one note beat, tooting their own horns so to speak. I don't think it lasted in my boombox for longer than a few months. I don't even own the albums anymore. In fact, I haven't a clue as to where they ever went.

Also, have to admit, what a dang waste of subwoofer material.. :D Seriously, it drives me nuts when some dang kid drives up in his lowrider blasting this crap for the world to hear, and I am afraid to even look in his direction for fear of being shot at or harrassed. I know that's stereotypical, but there is a good reason for stereotypes sometimes, because they are based in truth! Sure not all people who listen to rap are bad people, but the culture and the expectations that go along with listening to that stuff lead some people down the road towards that behavior. I feel it is best to just to avoid it altogether rather than deal with the potential peer pressure and temptation to "Be Bad."

-capT

Ah, Rap, the whipping boy of the musical "cognoscenti" again takes a hit on an audio website. Yes, I listen to and enjoy some rap music and I find some quite offensive and unlistenable (as I do Diana Krall and Norah Jones).

There are quite a few rap artists that are quite good, socially conscious, and could serve as a "model" for youth if you believe that musicians are role models. I don't and I actually doubt that my kids are going to run out and "gat' some fool because we listened to Dr. Dre. I'm more important to my kid's behavior than some musician!

Gangsta is in a rut and is in serious need of a retrenchment, but gangsta isn't the only style of rap extant, it just gets the lion's share of the press. I doubt that the basic idea of rapping will go away but it will be fused into other styles of music, as it already has been. Take a listen to some Dr. Dre, Eminem, Queen Latifah, Public Enemy, KRS-One, Rage Against The Machine, The Beastie Boys and many others, not only will you hear some positive music, but very good recordings to boot.

Does anyone remember the Young MC?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_MC

When he and MC Hammer came out, I have to say that I really enjoyed their new style of "music". And I don't know if you could really even compare or consider that style to be part of the same genre as the "Rap" of today. It wasn't based on shooting cops, or struggles and crime in the street, they didn't seem to take pride in being the lowest of the low members of society "in the 'hood". Though I did find it to be quite a bit of "I'm a better rapper than anyone around", and "no one can beat my rhyming" etc... So I quickly got tired of the one note beat, tooting their own horns so to speak. I don't think it lasted in my boombox for longer than a few months. I don't even own the albums anymore. In fact, I haven't a clue as to where they ever went.

This is the genesis of rap. Showing off to your peers in local clubs to have the best rhymes is where rap originated. It is still a major part of rap music.

Also, have to admit, what a dang waste of subwoofer material.. :D and I am afraid to even look in his direction for fear of being shot at or harrassed. I know that's stereotypical, but there is a good reason for stereotypes sometimes, because they are based in truth! Sure not all people who listen to rap are bad people, but the culture and the expectations that go along with listening to that stuff lead some people down the road towards that behavior. I feel it is best to just to avoid it altogether rather than deal with the potential peer pressure and temptation to "Be Bad."
-capT

Oh come on, some parents said the same thing about rock & roll in the 50s and 60s, some still say it. The majority of rap consumption is by middle class white kids who want to be hard. I'd like to see a decent, replicable, peer-reviewed study that shows a correlation between listening to rap music and negative behaviors. Anyone?

The majority of rap consumption is by middle class white kids who want to be hard. I'd like to see a decent, replicable, peer-reviewed study that shows a correlation between listening to rap music and negative behaviors. Anyone?

The negative behaviour is in the fact that they don't listen to something ELSE, to start with. Mozart Anyone ?

how 'bout some fuc**ng Beethoven, freakin' motherfu**rs?

Last edited:
Rip

With all due respect to anyone who believes there is some positive / social value to this music, I sincerely hope that it does die given the current message that this music sends out to young people and the apparent inability of the artists to recognize the negative impact they are having, said artists calling it, amongst other things, "artistic expression", as most recently witnessed by the Donald Imus debacle.

Talk about denial. Duh!

GG

This is the genesis of rap. Showing off to your peers in local clubs to have the best rhymes is where rap originated. It is still a major part of rap music.

Oh come on, some parents said the same thing about rock & roll in the 50s and 60s, some still say it. The majority of rap consumption is by middle class white kids who want to be hard. I'd like to see a decent, replicable, peer-reviewed study that shows a correlation between listening to rap music and negative behaviors. Anyone?

Agreed! 100% correct...Rap music and video games lead my kid to kill argument is BS. That is just media propaganda at its finest. Rap/Hip-Hop is not my favorite music but it cannot be discarded as music only for gangsters and murderers.

Ah, Rap, the whipping boy of the musical "cognoscenti" again takes a hit on an audio website. Yes, I listen to and enjoy some rap music and I find some quite offensive and unlistenable .

As I do also, James Brown was doing Rap before it was called Rap. Enjoy all his stuff. Fun Lovin Criminals come to mind, Group out of Minnesota called Atmosphere is also very good. And for those of you who love Jazz try Us3's Hand On The Torch album, Rap album with samplings of Jazz Riffs, Great f'n album.

The negative behaviour is in the fact that they don't listen to something ELSE, to start with. Mozart Anyone ?

how 'bout some fuc**ng Beethoven, freakin' motherfu**rs?

Once again the stereotype reigns supreme. My kids listen to every style of music, mostly by their choice. Mozart, Bach, Beethoven and Hindemith get more play in my crib (how ya like that rap lingo, beeatchs) than all rap combined. I know students who listen to Tupac and John Coltrane, Linkin Park and Miles Davis. Liking rap doesn't mean disliking other styles. It is in fact a question of exposure, when I was still in the classroom I would play jazz, and classical as well as rap and rock, popular and standards, it is amazing what kids will grow to like when given a chance. Students would only rarely ask for the rap or rock, which they got to hear all the time, but jazz and opera were always asked for. Go figure!

Please...

Please.... let rap die.

Personally, I *REALLY* hate the entire genre. I find the style offensive and lacking in any form of musicality. However, ignoring it's musical content, why do the 'artists' who produce this music insist on glamorising guns, knives, crime, murder etc... Don't they realise that the kids who listen to this s**t can be very easily influenced by it and think it's cool to kill people?

Just check the UK news for the 11-year old boy shot in Liverpool this week if you want to know the effect it's having on our society.

Cheers,

David.

Rap rocks....sometimes

listen to,

Artist "Archive". the CD "Londinium" :music:

To each his own I say. Just because I don't like rap doesn't mean it isn't music to others. It just isn't music to my ears, it sounds like racist noise to me, so I don't listen to it. I guess if I listened to enough of it, there could be some of it that I could like, but I'm not willing to go through the effort. Of course, I don't like most Opera either, but for other reasons.

Please.... let rap die.

Personally, I *REALLY* hate the entire genre. I find the style offensive and lacking in any form of musicality...........
Agreed. I wish it had had its 15 minutes of fame and then died. It has no redeeming qualities, in my opinion.

Since my original post could have potentialy offended those reading this forum I decided to delete it. Sorry if anyone was offended. That was not my intent.

Last edited:
Correct Craig!
If only those who think they are "in the know", could look at the influence of this crap music from the stand point of: the attitude it tends to cultivate from kids in school, (and its negative effect on grades, behavior, and performance); the perceived affect on neighborhoods and the quality of life created by that local environment on business and family; and the whole game played to slide into the identity assumed by those who act, dress, and degrade themselves, (to the lowest common denominator), to fit the "rap culture". What a loss of mind and ability. What a desperate cry for attention.
What a commentary on the sad alienation that results from it's choice.

Latest posts

Back