System #189 (CLS IIz 20th anniv, Depth)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raygunn

Reaction score
1. Member Name: Ray Seda
2. Location: Wellington, Florida, USA
3. ML Model(s): CLS IIz 20th anniversary, Depth (2)
a. Other Models I have had: Sequel, Sequel 2, Quest, ReQuest.
4. Year Purchased: CLS’s 2003; Depths 2004
5. Mods/Changes: The CLS’s are on Sound Anchor Stands.
Associated Electronics:
Conrad Johnson CT-5 Line stage
VPI TNT Jr.- Customized motor drive
VPI SDS
Technics EPA-500 M,H,G, E
Accuphase AC2, Accuphase AC-3, Zu Audio/Denon DL-103 Prime, Technics 300MC,
ASR Mini Basis Exclusive Phono Stage
MCCormack UDP1-Deluxe (Conrad Johnson Edition)
Sunfire Signature II Architect Series
Pioneer TX-8500 MkII
Zu Cable Mother Mk2, Pure Note Cerulean, Pure Note Paragon(enhanced), Telwire Connect, Telwire Powercord.

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience:

I have favored the sound of electrostatics for most of my life. When I was a teen I first heard the Infinity Servostatik and discovered the magical realism that Electostatics are capable of. Later, the love affair with electrostatics continued in the form of the Dayton-Wrights, Koss Model One’s, the Beveridge. As an impoverished teen working in audio sales I was never able to afford any of these. After college, I more than made up for it! I first heard the ML Sequels and immediately bought a pair. Twenty years later, I am on my fourth pair of Martin Logans and the love affair with electrostatics continues in the form of the final release of the CLS.

I was President of the South Florida Audio Society when Devon Zell sent us the press release of the de-commissioning of the CLS with a limited final run called the 20th anniversary edition. I had no choice but to buy a pair as well as buy a new house so that I could have a dedicated room for these beasts!

Three years later, the room is finally tuned to my liking. The CLS’s really sing with the addition of the Depths too.
<O:p</O:p

Attachments

• NEW_frontview_MLClub.JPG
    NEW_frontview_MLClub.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 4,465
  • 2007_0510FijiCamDump-051320070042.JPG
    2007_0510FijiCamDump-051320070042.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 2,116
  • ConradJohnsonCT5-2.jpg
    ConradJohnsonCT5-2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,436
Last edited:
Ray, Welcome ! Looks superb !! Glad to have another viynl / VPI guy in the fold, you are a lucky man to have a dedicated listening room.

Every time I see the CLS's after listening to Dan's (DTB300) set-up, I keep hoping for the much anticipated anouncement of the CLX's !!

. . . . .and they're on SA stands!

Ray, welcome to the MartinLogan quilting bee ;)

I'd like to hear more about your history/experiences with the SA stands, since I had my CLS's on the floor for 14 years and finally saw/heard the light/sound :rocker: but haven't had much luck convincing others (I even have a 1994 memo from ML recommending the use of stands!) I also use a Depth, as I found the Descent too slow for the CLS. My system link is below.

Dave, Thanks!!
Vinyl is indeed alive and well :)

I too am hoping the CLX become reality. Modern economics are not exactly on its side, but if ML is truly committed to the high end, they will produce it anyway. I signed up for the get together in June mainly in hopes of catching an audition.

Nice system, btw!

Cheers,
Ray

Hello NS!

For me the SA stands were kind of a "no brainer". Having had so much experience with 'Stats in the past, I already knew that their biggest enemy was the swaying that the panels tend to do. This kills image focus and stability. Even the hybrids swayed like mad. So even before getting the CLS's I had already applied steel side braces to Sequels and Quests and immediately realized the benefits.

The CLS's however are a slightly different animal. I find that the SA stands not only focus the sound and stabilize imaging, but since I have a carpeted floor, the bass also got quicker and more nimble with the stands on.

I too found the Descent to be a bit "slow" for the CLS. I untimately settled on a pait of Depth's. A single Depth just didn't quite cut it for me. I found that it was a bit directional to the point of distraction and a bit light in the lowest octaves. Adjusting for two is a but tricky, but once they are dialed in they blend spectacularly well with the CLS's.

Ray!

Finally found your system!

Nice! Glad to have finally seen your system after hearing about it at the Meet!

Joey

Hey Ray! Had to check out your system since you talked about it in Lawrence. Your CLS's are awesome-I can only imagine the soundstage those babies throw!

Ray, very cool setup. Those big panels on those rigid stands must be a real pleasure to listen to.

Enjoy!

Nice!

Ray, would love to see a few more shots of the room and electronics/source components - specifically the turntable mods we were discussing at the event in Lawrance. Great looking setup!

Thanks Jon...

Indeed. I learned the benefits of rigid bracing of the panels way back with the original Sequel. Many of my audiophile buds were horrified when I drilled into the speakers to mount braces. Once they heard the benefits, they shut their traps nice and tight... :haha1:
:cheers:

Thanks Tim!

I'll snap some more pics this week. I prefer not to be too revealing of the motor drive just now. mainly because it is still very much a "test mule". So it is truly nothing to look at.

I do have a short video of the thread drive in action as it cranks the VPI to speed.

Send me an e-mail and I will send the video. It'll be a fairly large attachment, LOL..

Cheers,
Ray

System Update!!!

I'm finally back in the audio saddle.

I don't make changes to my system very frequently, but this one was a no-brainer ;-) This sweeeeeeet-sounding CT-5 a big step up from the Melos.

Cheers,
Ray

Attachments

• ConradJohnsonCT5-2.jpg
    ConradJohnsonCT5-2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,454
Hah! I've also been ogling the CT5, to mate with my newly acquired Premier 350. What preamp did it replace, and how would you describe the difference (if any). I've been pretty happy with my Modwright SWL 9.0 SE, especially since I upgraded to the rectified power supply. However, it's a pain when rolling tubes, and has only basic remote control function. Did you buy new, or used?

Hello ray...welcome back ! long time no post ! Congrats on the very nice upgrade, look forward to you being active with us again.

Hah! I've also been ogling the CT5, to mate with my newly acquired Premier 350. What preamp did it replace, and how would you describe the difference (if any). I've been pretty happy with my Modwright SWL 9.0 SE, especially since I upgraded to the rectified power supply. However, it's a pain when rolling tubes, and has only basic remote control function. Did you buy new, or used?
The CT-5 is pretty sweet! it replaced the entire center section of my equipment rack!
I had a Melos MA333-R6, Music Director. A 3-chassis preamp.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back