Custom Search
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new DAC... but wait!

Default Looking for a new DAC... but wait!

Looking for a new DAC guys and I have been very interested in the PS Audio Digital Link III since I can get it for 30% off. They say it's warm, and I like that. But no good reviews are out for it. If you guys have any other DACs that you want me to look at, let me know.

However, in addition to the DAC search, I found that certain CDP have digital inputs which allow for use as a DAC! This would definitely kill 2 birdies with 1 stone! I have been looking at several Cary pieces... namely the 306/200 non-SACD one, since I have no plans of SACD and it's cheaper on the 'gon ($2200 vs $3800).

OR the Cary 303/300, which is a very interesting player, being that it's both tubes and SS!

Now, with regards to the 303/300, can I use both outputs (tubes/ss) when using it solely as a DAC for the Squeezebox? Dave... help me! I know you have the 303/300!!

Joey
    Joey "kid grown up" V
    4 months away from the new and improved 2ch room...

Joey, I would think you could for the player is designed with dual output stages. it offers a solid state and a tube based output section, either of which may be switched in or out of use 'on the fly' so that comparisons may be done. Both the SS and tube based sections have three digital outputs. The dig output section can run at a sample rate of 44.1kHz or can be upsampled to either 96 or 192 kHz.
    Dave

System #79 - Analog is Alive and Well, if in doubt, click the link below !

Click Here to see my System

Joey, may I ask what made you decide in favor of an external DAC vs Transporter?

Quote Originally Posted by twich54 View Post
    Joey, I would think you could for the player is designed with dual output stages. it offers a solid state and a tube based output section, either of which may be switched in or out of use 'on the fly' so that comparisons may be done. Both the SS and tube based sections have three digital outputs. The dig output section can run at a sample rate of 44.1kHz or can be upsampled to either 96 or 192 kHz.
    Dave,
    Just to double check, does the 303/300 have digital inputs? I think the 306/200 does.... but I may have been mistaken with the 303/300...
    Joey "kid grown up" V

Quote Originally Posted by ralflar View Post
    Joey, may I ask what made you decide in favor of an external DAC vs Transporter?
    Flexibility...
    Joey "kid grown up" V

Ah. Do you consider solid state at all or must your future DAC have a tubed output stage?

Quote Originally Posted by ralflar View Post
    Ah. Do you consider solid state at all or must your future DAC have a tubed output stage?
    I really dont know.... I guess SS is ok since I have the Cary tube pre...
    Joey "kid grown up" V

Yeah.. looking at the Cary 306/300, that thing is beastly! The digital inputs are definitely a great plus! I can finally get a CDP and a good DAC for all my FLAC files.

I'm wondering if there are any other companies that have something like this... perhaps something from Krell or Ayre or Meridian or Wadia....
    Joey "kid grown up" V

I have always had a place in my heart for the Wadia stuff.

Just in case you are interested audiogon has a BAT cd player for sale at $2400. I have heard the player, it is fantastic and it is tubed.
    Last edited by aerius007; 01-30-2007 at 06:54 PM.
    2-channel: Vantages, BAT VK-500, BAT VK-30se, Rotel 1072, MIT cables
    HT: Aerius i, Cinema, Acurus 100x3, Yamaha RXV-992, Velodyne CT-12, Energy rears, 50" Phillips Plasma
    My setup http://www.martinloganowners.com/for...ead.php?t=3473

Quote Originally Posted by Joey_V View Post
    I really dont know.... I guess SS is ok since I have the Cary tube pre...
    OK. I have done some reading on the subject because either a DAC (non-tubed) or a Transporter are on my immediate shopping list (Uh-oh!). Most discussions divide DACs into two camps, oversampling vs not. Do you have a preference?

The Cary CD players are all excellent but not all of them have digital inputs. I also am planning to use one as a great DAC for my SB3 when I'm not playing cds.

The 300/300 does not have digital input but does have volume control. (uses tubes, great upspampling range)
    The 306/200 has digital imputs and volume control (better DAC upsampling
    The 306/SACD has digital inputs but no volume control (Outstading SACD and Redbook Player
    The 300/200 has both digital inputs and volume control upsampling DAC
    The 300/100 has niether, good basic player
    They all play HDCD

The Cary DVD players make fine CD players with volume control and no digital inputs.
    Last edited by Craig; 01-30-2007 at 06:02 PM.

Don't over-t00b your setup Joey

I say look into Meridian, they are digital masters.
    <- Wishes Audio were cheaper, so he could buy it all!!

Member System #144

Joey,

That Cary idea sounds very interesting... very interesting indeed. You'd finally make some people *ahem, cough cough* happy.

Hey Joey,
    The latest Absolute Sound has a small review of the new PS Audio Trio amps, preamp and DAC. The reviewer really liked the DAC. Not that I trust magazine reviews that much, it is some additional information.
    Been Thinkin bout nothing and doin nothin but thinkin...