The Neurochemistry of Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This NYT article really brought to mind one particular man by the name of, "Steve Reich."

If you have never heard of him, or his music, he's definitely worth checking out. I discovered him while living in NYC and later would instantly recognize his work when at an avant-garde ballet. The cd I'm referring to is called, "NewYork Counterpoint."
MITT... Could this be one that you don't have in your extensive collection?

"Steve Reich was recently called "...the most original musical thinker of our time" (The New Yorker) and "...among the great composers of the century" (The New York Times) * His instantly recognizable musical language combines rigorous structures with propulsive rhythms and seductive instrumental colour * Many choreographers have used his scores, including Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker, Jiri Kylian and Jerome Robbins * Exclusive recording contract with Nonesuch, on which label Different Trains earned him one Grammy™ for Best Contemporary Composition and Music for 18 Musicians a second * His "documentary video opera" works The Cave and Three Tales (in collaboration with video artist Beryl Korot) have expanded the boundaries of the operatic medium."

Last edited:
"First the music triggered the forebrain, as it analyzed the structure and meaning of the tune. Then the nucleus accumbus and ventral tegmental area activated to release dopamine, a chemical that triggers the brain’s sense of reward."

So we're all just a bunch of Dopamine Fiends.:rolleyes:

That explains the need for the Daily Fix from my ML's:D

Last edited:
I'm sure they'll ultimately discover that endorphins are the basis for our "audio addiction!" In fact, I think a cool experiment would be to administer Naloxone (Narcan) to a group of audiophiles, and see if it diminishes their musical enjoyment. That would be easy enough to do, double blinded with placebo Rx. Any academic types here interested in conducting that study? I'd be a willing guinea pig!

Last edited:
I'm sure they'll ultimately discover that endorphins are the basis for our "audio addiction!" In fact, I think a cool experiment would be to administer Naloxone (Narcan) to a group of audiophiles, and see if it diminishes their musical enjoyment. That would be easy enough to do, double blinded with placebo Rx. Any academic types here interested in conducting that study? I'd be a willing guinea pig!

Narcan only works on opiate based drugs! Lord knows I've given it enough times for Heroin OD's. ;)

We need to block the reticular activating center and the pineal gland where the "pleasure center" is located! But we don't want to do that, do we?

I think beta-endorphins are primarily mu-1 agonists, so Narcan should block their effect. Maybe we can get an NIH grant to buy some of the audio super-systems we've seen posted here, er, strictly to test this hypothesis of course! :)

Good grief - anyone want to start a list of what the guy was not measuring. I suppose we could get the effects of an MRI by jambing the subject into a culvert pipe and then beat sticks on the outside for a while

Got to love a reductionist model - much research for nil effect. Shouldn't we just hook up a dopamine infusion and see if it induces the "ML effect" you know - "I want to go the toilet" followed by "can I have a panadol for my headache" followed by "my fingers are going cold." Doesn't that happen to you too?

I like the way sleepysurf is thinking though. Must be an academic out there who could be persuaded for followup studies ML compared to other speakers, valves vs solid state, vinyl vs cd and finally the really important one - reproduced music vs live. I think about hmmmm fifty concerts or so might get a meaningful result. Anyone do a quick power analysis, difficult dragging an MRI to a concert though....

Kevin

Hey, don't laugh... he may be onto something... just think... a "WAF pill" :D

This NYT article really brought to mind one particular man by the name of, "Steve Reich."

If you have never heard of him, or his music, he's definitely worth checking out. I discovered him while living in NYC and later would instantly recognize his work when at an avant-garde ballet. The cd I'm referring to is called, "NewYork Counterpoint."
MITT... Could this be one that you don't have in your extensive collection?

"Steve Reich was recently called "...the most original musical thinker of our time" (The New Yorker) and "...among the great composers of the century" (The New York Times) * His instantly recognizable musical language combines rigorous structures with propulsive rhythms and seductive instrumental colour * Many choreographers have used his scores, including Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker, Jiri Kylian and Jerome Robbins * Exclusive recording contract with Nonesuch, on which label Different Trains earned him one Grammy™ for Best Contemporary Composition and Music for 18 Musicians a second * His "documentary video opera" works The Cave and Three Tales (in collaboration with video artist Beryl Korot) have expanded the boundaries of the operatic medium."

Yep, you got me SugarMedia. I have heard of Steve Reich, but do not have any of his albums. With your recommendation I will seek some out though. Thanks!

So we're all just a bunch of Dopamine Fiends.:rolleyes:

I love it.... it's like we're on Cocaine, Morphine, or borderlining on Schizophrenia with all the DA we're getting from our MLs!

Now.... it you think intoxication is bad, wait until you feel the effects of WITHDRAWALS!

If opiate withdrawal is a sign of things to come.... ewww.... talk about massive secretions!!! From lacrimation to unctontrolled diarrhea...

Joey :eek:

Just 2 questions.

1. What in heaven's name are you guys talking about? :confused:

2. Where can we buy it? :devil:

Dopamine...? from ML's?

Wha the haaaaay? :eek: :confused:

Attachments

• Funny Wolves.jpg
    Funny Wolves.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 360
Hey, don't laugh... he may be onto something... just think... a "WAF pill" :D

I wish they had come to market with that pill when I was still married! :D

I am so fortunate now to have a girlfriend that enjoys sitting down with me and listening to music and viewing movies!

I love it.... it's like we're on Cocaine, Morphine, or borderlining on Schizophrenia with all the DA we're getting from our MLs!

Now.... it you think intoxication is bad, wait until you feel the effects of WITHDRAWALS!

If opiate withdrawal is a sign of things to come.... ewww.... talk about massive secretions!!! From lacrimation to unctontrolled diarrhea...

Joey :eek:

S.L.U.D.G.E.

Break out the Atropine.

I wish they had come to market with that pill when I was still married!

I mentioned my "WAF Pill" idea to my wife, and she commented that she's working on a big one for me... but it'll be a suppository!

S.L.U.D.G.E.

Break out the Atropine.

Statman,
Now you lost me, I thought Atropine injections were used for low heart rate
What does it have to do with tears and the runs??:confused:

For the life of me I can't figure out your acronym??:confused:

I've gotten all medical training watching "Emergency 51".:D

Statman,
Now you lost me, I thought Atropine injections were used for low heart rate
What does it have to do with tears and the runs??:confused:

For the life of me I can't figure out your acronym??:confused:

I've gotten all medical training watching "Emergency 51".:D

The WB,

S.salavation
L.Lacramation
U.urination
D.Defication
G.gastrointestinal disturbances
E.Emesis/vomiting

They are signs/sysmptoms of organophosphate poisoning. Which lowers the heart rate into the bradycardic range (below 60 beats per minute). It's also used now in unison with Propam to combat the latest terrorist threats of poisoning us all! We have to carry around these auto injection kits with us just in case. The hard part is jamming the needle through your clothes and pushing the button to inject the meds,Ouch!:eek:

The WB,

S.salavation
L.Lacramation
U.urination
D.Defication
G.gastrointestinal disturbances
E.Emesis/vomiting

They are signs/sysmptoms of organophosphate poisoning. Which lowers the heart rate into the bradycardic range (below 60 beats per minute). It's also used now in unison with Propam to combat the latest terrorist threats of poisoning us all! We have to carry around these auto injection kits with us just in case. The hard part is jamming the needle through your clothes and pushing the button to inject the meds,Ouch!:eek:
Statman,

I got to ask you... are you an MD, a Pharmacist, or an RN? You seem to know far more than the avg person regarding these things....

Or you could just be a druggie....

LOL!

Joey :)

Latest posts

Back