Snow blowers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
thinking about upgrading to a bigger machine (30"). Currently using an 14 year old Ariens 24" and while it does a fine job I would't mind increasing my path by 25%.

any other brands that you have owned /used and care to comment on ?

With any machinery ,, BIGGER is always better in man law.. Nothing like blowing a 10 x 20 drive with a 42 inch walk behind loading your neighbors three doors down up with your snow:ROFL:

I have a Craftsman that is decent ! power assist.. That being said Id like to not have to use it and not get any white dog sh!t !

LOL Chris ......10x20 drive ????? are you kidding me ????? hell I could shovel that in the time it takes you to get your Craftsman (MTD) started. I've got 130' driveway that leads to a 315' (18' wide) private drive I share with two neighbors.

Sorry, no longer a fan of anything Craftsman

mine is actually quite large but I love when people get over kill machinery !

Dave, come on out here to Arizona dude!! We have lot's of fun things to play with blowing stuff around, and...yeah, I'll include my big, full of hot air mouth :cool:

Very little snow in Tucson or Phoenix, we're in the low 80'sF right now, beautiful weather my friend, I'd be honored to buy you and yours a nice steak dinner and your beverage's of choice should you visit :D

I think Consumer Reports would have all the info you need for these snow blowing things, it appears you need to pay for the info online...maybe check out your local used bookstore for free?

thinking about upgrading to a bigger machine (30"). Currently using an 14 year old Ariens 24" and while it does a fine job I would't mind increasing my path by 25%.

any other brands that you have owned /used and care to comment on ?

Living in WI I have come to love my single stage Toro. I have the largest one they make and the smallest. I find the single stage is so much easier to handle and it cleans right down to the pavement better then a 2 stage I have ever tried. The big plus is its so much lighter and smaller for ease of storage. To me a couple of more passes are not an issue handling ease and a good looking job is. I live on a corner and have twice the driveway that you have plus tons of sidewalk. That all worked good for a number of years but lately we are getting more traditional winters in my parts. Meaning there are now 1 or 2 snowfalls where the end of my driveway is too much for a single throw so I reluctantly got a 2 stage. I got exactly what you did but I think a more recent model which has a lot of nice features. I purposely got the larger motor on the smaller 24" side. Two reasons - easy of handling and it takes up less storage space. The 30" has the same size motor as my 24' and from my experience it would be under powered.

Dave, come on out here to Arizona dude!! We have lot's of fun things to play with blowing stuff around, and...yeah, I'll include my big, full of hot air mouth :cool:

Very little snow in Tucson or Phoenix, we're in the low 80'sF right now, beautiful weather my friend, I'd be honored to buy you and yours a nice steak dinner and your beverage's of choice should you visit :D

I think Consumer Reports would have all the info you need for these snow blowing things, it appears you need to pay for the info online...maybe check out your local used bookstore for free?

hey Stu, next time I'm in Az I'll definitely look you up !

Living in WI I have come to love my single stage Toro. I have the largest one they make and the smallest. I find the single stage is so much easier to handle and it cleans right down to the pavement better then a 2 stage I have ever tried.

LOL ......NO single stage could have handled the 30" storm we got last winter. Not unless you wanted to go out every 4 hrs, as it was I went out 3 times with my 24" Airens

I live on a corner and have twice the driveway that you have plus tons of sidewalk.

???? I've got 445' (drive and private drive), so you're telling me you clear 900' with a single stage ....... you're nuts !

Two reasons - easy of handling and it takes up less storage space. The 30" has the same size motor as my 24' and from my experience it would be under powered.

the handling issue is a thing of the past with power / easy steering these days, storage is not an issue for me.

as for the engine size, on the 30" Ariens Platinum series, they increase trq by 33% so that's not an issue.

If its not electric start and power feed drive id never own it.. My Craftsman is 24 and I can crawl behind it . Never bogs down.. Mi winter can be wet snow too

I am needing a snow blower as well Dave, but I don't think it will be for this year. Had to replace our heating and air unit this year, and the new AC stuff is expensive, really took a hit on my spare change. I don't think you can go wrong with any equipment with a Honda motor. When I had our house built 16 years ago, my father gave us his old Honda lawn mower because he was getting a new one. We are still using that same mower today, and it will still start on the first pull every time. Living on a mountain, that mower has hit as many rocks as it has grass blades, but it still keeps chugging along, the thing refuses to die. Hondas are pricey, but as reliable as anything out there.

Much improved thread, From hot air in DC to cold wind in Pa.

By the way Dave, what kind of spark plug wires do you run on your machine. You know cables matter. :ROFL:

Kevin, I'm going to give the Honda another more serious look tomorrow. Rumor has it, there are some nice zero interest financing deals out their which just might make me jump ..............

Brad, LOL, yeah a lot political banter here, all in good fun. At least we have a little fun it with here as opposed to 'play it nice boys and girls' over @ 'AA' !!

as for the wires ...... I see MIT has a pair for 5k, not bad considering the the machine only cost $1400 ! You know, there a few nut jobs on the 'AA' board that I wouldn't put it past them !!

Back