What type of storage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now you're talkin'!:cool:

Considering I've got some Norah Jones, Miles Davis, Joni Mitchell, Cassandra Wilson and Rage against the machine sitting on the edge of my desk because I haven't made time to rip them yet.

The thought of ripping EVERYTHING again is enough to bring a man to tears :sad: and then drive him to drink! :guiness:

My NAS has 2 USB ports on the back of it and I control the backups thru the NAS interface.

Tom or any of you that know.

Is the basic Synology DS1515+ what I would want? Do I need a faster processor or more memory in it?

I am planing on using 5 WD Red WD40EFRX 4TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/ drives.

Intel Atom Quad Core 2.GHz
Form Factor: 5-Bay
Port RJ-45: Gigabit X 4
Port USB: 4 x USB3.0
Port eSATA: 2 x eSATA

Thanks

Last edited:
I liked having 5 bays, which is why I got the 1515.... It has enough horsepower and memory to stream music and movies to my HT system without any problem. It seemed like overkill for what I wanted it for, but I would rather pay a little more $$ and get something that I won't need to upgrade in 5 years. I think it was also a matter of how much I was willing to spend. You can go hog wild if expense is not a consideration.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom, and yes cost is a consideration.

After new to me amps, player/DAC, laptop, iPad, external drive and now NAS server, my amazing and supportive wife has way to much ammunition to make fun of me.

I agree with your thoughts, I don't want to have to change this for years to come. I appreciate the recommendations.

Last edited:
I have a pretty great setup I believe. I decided to build my own server to facilitate a handful of needs. I wanted something that would act as a file storage, as well as an FTP and give me a place to run some Virtual Servers in my home. I chose to run Linux due to its stability (and being free helps). The server is a 4x2TB in RAID 10. I'd read some horror stories about trying to restore parity based RAID's and I honestly didn't need more than 4TB total, so I went with RAID 10. I use a paid service called Crashplan (http://www.code42.com/crashplan/) which sends nightly backups of my entire array (minus movies, I don't care if I lose those) to the 2.5TB drive plugged in USB, as well as to the cloud. The service is $70 a year and works wonderfully. The initial backup obviously takes forever, but after that the backups happen every night at 2AM and they never fail.

Those drives are 2TB WD Caviar Greens, which at some point I'd like to upgrade just because these drives are getting a little older. Sorry about the huge photos, I wasn't sure how to resize them.

12291188_10102807785108306_1742698316990653924_o.jpg

12314564_10102807785113296_7016538900019880054_o.jpg

The synology stuff is pretty easy to use.

Spoken like a IT person would. :)

It would be nice if Synology had basic instructions for those of us that are challenged with computers. It is funny looking at what they send with the 1515+. It shows how to plug in the power cord and connect it to a computer via network cable and that is all. I would think if you now how to set up the NAS you probably know how to plug it in.

I have managed to set up the hard drives via network connection with my laptop. Now the laptop only shows an external storage source but no access to it. When I try to open it I only get a window asking if I want to go to the internet for information on the storage device. Do I access it with a USB cable as I did with the Seagate HD I used previously? I haven't tried it yet as i needed a different USB cable and had to order one. Hard to believe I couldn't find a cheap one to try at a brick and mortar location. Oh well it will be here tomorrow.

I have searched the Synology Forum looking for information and started a thread but the response is beyond my pay grade. I asked for clarification but it only got worse. I read information on the Synology website tutorial. Looked on the internet for basic setup info but have come up empty. Can you direct me to any basic information?

Thanks Brad

Hey Brad,I plugged my NAS into my router via a network cable and then the router assigned it an ip address. You should be able to use a browser to get to that IP address and then start the set up process. You may have to go to the router with a browser and see what IP address it assigned to the NAS.

If you need help, call their tech support number.. they have awesome tech support!!

Latest posts

Back