My Mac Mini is dying...what now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I should have replied back that got a new MacMini, loaded it with the latest JRiver file management system, configured it to completely ignore iTunes and have been enjoying tunes for a while now. Still learning JRiver, but so far I like it. On the analog side, my Soundsmith "The Voice" cartridge lost it's left channel (!), so I ordered and installed a new Ortofon Cadenza Bronze and am up and running with it, too. Since my phono pre only has 56db gain, I'm using a friend's Choir Audio step up transformer until I get one for myself. I'll be loading my USB microscope software later today so I can fine tune the cartridge positioning, as my eyes don't focus well on tiny cantilevers!

I guess I should have replied back that got a new MacMini, loaded it with the latest JRiver file management system, configured it to completely ignore iTunes and have been enjoying tunes for a while now. Still learning JRiver, but so far I like it. On the analog side, my Soundsmith "The Voice" cartridge lost it's left channel (!), so I ordered and installed a new Ortofon Cadenza Bronze and am up and running with it, too. Since my phono pre only has 56db gain, I'm using a friend's Choir Audio step up transformer until I get one for myself. I'll be loading my USB microscope software later today so I can fine tune the cartridge positioning, as my eyes don't focus well on tiny cantilevers!

Steve, I have been using Pure Music for a few years now and like it very well, but don't like the fact that there isn't a dedicated UI (I think the Apple Remote ap sucks). Will more than likely eventually move towards the AURALiC Aries and it's dedicated Lightning ap, but my own recent cartridge purchase has put that on the back burner for a while. I assume you are running the J River ap on an iPad or similar tablet. How do you like it? Bernard, what software are you using?

So far I like the file management better than ITunes and the older version of Amarra I was using. One thing I wasn't expecting was the step up in sound quality over the last setup. JRiver has a dedicated app, JRemote ($9.99), that gives a lot of control via my iPad, more than I had with the Remote app for ITunes, except it doesn't appear to give a "songs" view. Also does a better job with cover art and gives the meta data in a nice format. I still haven't got it all figured out, though.

Currently listening to the new cartridge. I guess I have about thirty minutes total on it, now and it is sounding pretty decent. I don't hear any warmth, which is what this cartridge is suppose to have, it sounds pretty neutral to me. The tracking weight is 2.5 grams, which is 1.2 grams heavier than the Soundsmith. The first couple of minutes it sounded a bit thin, but body is increasing as it plays.

Last edited:
Steve, I have been using Pure Music for a few years now and like it very well, but don't like the fact that there isn't a dedicated UI (I think the Apple Remote ap sucks). Will more than likely eventually move towards the AURALiC Aries and it's dedicated Lightning ap, but my own recent cartridge purchase has put that on the back burner for a while. I assume you are running the J River ap on an iPad or similar tablet. How do you like it? Bernard, what software are you using?
Tim, I'm using what Paul McGowan put together on building a music server using a Mac, and have not investigated anything else yet. iTunes is managing my library, with Bit Perfect handing off the music to the MDAC. I'm also using the Remote app. It all seems to work well, except that I've had a few problems with the artwork.

http://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-build-a-music-server/

Why not just use VNC (or the like) and keep the Mac Mini headless?
I'm in the same room as the equipment, and see no point in going the network route - another complication, and I like to keep it simple. A hard terminal does come in handy for problem-solving.

Last edited:
So far I like the file management better than ITunes and the older version of Amarra I was using. One thing I wasn't expecting was the step up in sound quality over the last setup. JRiver has a dedicated app, JRemote ($9.99), that gives a lot of control via my iPad, more than I had with the Remote app for ITunes, except it doesn't appear to give a "songs" view. Also does a better job with cover art and gives the meta data in a nice format. I still haven't got it all figured out, though.

Currently listening to the new cartridge. I guess I have about thirty minutes total on it, now and it is sounding pretty decent. I don't hear any warmth, which is what this cartridge is suppose to have, it sounds pretty neutral to me. The tracking weight is 2.5 grams, which is 1.2 grams heavier than the Soundsmith. The first couple of minutes it sounded a bit thin, but body is increasing as it plays.

Steve, I downloaded the trial version of JRiver last night and started playing with it. I also like the way it manages my library and just the general appearance. Just for grins I set it up to run everything out of memory play and I am having it convert the output on all files to DSD, which my Vega was able to detect and decode as DSD immediately. Is this how you are running it? I was also very impressed with sound quality as a result. Pure Music is also much better sounding than straight iTunes, but I like the UI on JRiver better, and I haven't found a way in Pure Music to convert files to DSD, only to play in Native Resolution.

I also dowloaded the JRemote ap on my iPad, but I can't set that up until I get a Registration Key for the installation on the Mac Mini, so I'll likely purchase and set that up in the next few days.

Trite as it sounds, I also like that I can change the display "skins". Since I have my big monitor only a few feet from my head in the listening room, I always found it distracting to have this big white screen ocupying the space with me. I turned on the Black on Black skin and it is hardly noticable when listening at night.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Last edited:
Tim, yeah it's a good product. I don't convert any files, just let them play in whatever format they are stored as on the external drive. Set it up for memory play, I believe. Now, if I could just figure out how to keep iTunes from popping up whenever I want to rip a disk!

Tim, yeah it's a good product. I don't convert any files, just let them play in whatever format they are stored as on the external drive. Set it up for memory play, I believe. Now, if I could just figure out how to keep iTunes from popping up whenever I want to rip a disk!
Isn't there in itunes Preferences a "do nothing" option when you insert a disk?

Latest posts

Back