Shun Mook

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the Mpingo discs yesterday, at half price, and have been busy trying them out.

I decided that you can't have more than one type of vibration-control device in play, so I removed the VPI Brick I normally have sitting on my preamp.

I didn't want to play the same LP track multiple times, so decided to go with CD only.

First off was the well-recorded XRCD "Esther" by Esther Ofarim. The first track, "Kinderspiele", shows off her superb diction (but then my German is spotty). The voice was firmly on the left, and guitar was firmly on the right; unfortunately there is some tape hiss audible on the left. Absolutely no difference between Mpingos and no Mpingos on the preamp.

Then Mother Nature called me for an emergency dump, so I turned down the volume control before leaving (yes, I know, Dave, too much information).

I came back, selected the same volume level (I think), and listened again with no Mpingos. This time the voice was rock steady in the middle.....head-scratching...what's going on here? Is image localization volume-dependent (can't be sure I selected exactly the same level). Back went the Mpingos; the voice shifted to the left.

Took off the Mpingos. Voice centered again. Put a single Mpingo on the CDP, right above the CD; voice back to left.

By this time I was confused, so tried another song, with no Mpingos - Marta Gomez singing "Para Ti". Image rock-solid centered. No difference with or without Mpingos on the preamp. Huh?

At this point I was getting tired of listening to the same songs over and over again, much as I like them. Rich's point in another thread came to mind - about evaluation needing to be done in extended listening rather than switching back and forth. I definitely agree with Rich. Back and forth is far too stressful.

So, don't expect anything definite from me here about Mpingos in the near future. And Roberto will not get a frantic email shortly, saying "Send money; I'm sending you those Mpingos".

Perhaps I should get out my Omnimic and do measurements ? Whaddya think Rich?

Hi did you put 3 on the pre and the CD as per the instructions? They are to be placed a certain way with the dots facing a certain way. My guess is you didn't do that, and then you can get it on the left or the right.
Put 3 on pre, 3 on CD, 1 each on the pedestal behind the panel as per their directions, you can then add 1 on each of the binding posts of the speaker and the amp - at least that's what I am going to be doing since that's what I demoed. Not to mention the block of 3 that you get next to your speaker.

That day the Lampizator dealer was visiting me, and just putting that block of 3 next to each speaker made him ealize how big a difference it was.

http://www.shunmook.com/userinfo/Shun Mook Application of the Mpingo Disc.pdf

Last edited:
Hi did you put 3 on the pre and the CD as per the instructions? They are to be placed a certain way with the dots facing a certain way. My guess is you didn't do that, and then you can get it on the left or the right.
Put 3 on pre, 3 on CD, 1 each on the pedestal behind the panel as per their directions, you can then add 1 on each of the binding posts of the speaker and the amp - at least that's what I am going to be doing since that's what I demoed. Not to mention the block of 3 that you get next to your speaker.

That day the Lampizator dealer was visiting me, and just putting that block of 3 next to each speaker made him ealize how big a difference it was.

http://www.shunmook.com/userinfo/Shun Mook Application of the Mpingo Disc.pdf
I put three on the preamp, per the directions from Roberto, with the dots at 5, 6, and 7 o'clock. I tried only one on the CDP, right above the CD, as that's what I read on a review. I was going to try three, but by that time I was tired of the fudging around. I'll do that next.

That's a lot of disks you have. I bought only three. I need to be convinced before I buy more.

How much do you upgrade CD players, pres and amps by? I understand the skepticism on shun mooks, another couple of guys I know tried 1 each and then said 70 quid doesn't make as much difference as a 3 or 5k amp

How much do you upgrade CD players, pres and amps by? I understand the skepticism on shun mooks, another couple of guys I know tried 1 each and then said 70 quid doesn't make as much difference as a 3 or 5k amp
Well, I expect that 70 quid would get you better icing on a cake; it wouldn't get you a better cake.

My system is an aged system, but it's no slouch, including ARC amps, and those wonderful Martin Logan speakers. My CDP, however, needs upgrading. I used to have a Prima Luna, but was made an offer I couldn't refuse, so I no longer have it. I'm now using a Marantz CDR to play CDs. It says, "Professional" on the unit, if that means anything; it cost me 700 bucks (just under 400 quid). When I do upgrade it will be to a Mac Mini-based server, with all the doodads you need.

I guess I was holding my iPad upside down when I saw Roberto's diagram :). I had the triangle inverted when placing the disks on the preamp. I corrected that and listened again. It was brief, but I may have heard the instruments separated more, but don't quote me on that as I have to do a lot more listening.

Skepticism is good. It ensures that my money and I don't part company too easily.

I have yet to try the three disks on the CDP.

It does give you a cake. I don't like bad amps, but between the good ones I haven't seen anything particular to choose from. This product excited me far more

I have yet to try the three disks on the CDP.

Try ramming each disk into the CDP, Bernard, see which one sounds best, LOL.

70 quid? That would have bought you a mic for Dirac RC. I absolutely guarantee you you will hear a marked difference with that. That is, if you had a laptop and a DAC (way to go).

You know you won't get differences with the mic alone, right?

Also you are complaining you lost soundstage, I am happy that I added massively to the depth

Ah - but you see - soundstage depth is probably just an illusion created by loads of unwanted (or wanted, as the case maybe) reflections... or lack of Shun Foo disks.

Hola Chicos. Sometimes I am wrong. Also, sometimes I am right. All I can say is that the Mpingo discs make a huge difference in my room. I do listen the 3D imediatelly! You are correct Bernard, that's what they do. Separation, right image with depht , and great tonallity. This snake oil really works for good!. As I said before, you do not know what you are missing, until you give to them a try. It is like adding flavor to your favorite food! Happy listening!

Try ramming each disk into the CDP, Bernard, see which one sounds best, LOL.

70 quid? That would have bought you a mic for Dirac RC. I absolutely guarantee you you will hear a marked difference with that. That is, if you had a laptop and a DAC (way to go).
Justin, you remind me of the guy from "Some Mothers Do 'Ave Them".... Michael Crawford......a good singer BTW!

I do have a laptop but not a decent DAC, so Dirac will have to wait.

Hola Chicos. Sometimes I am wrong. Also, sometimes I am right. All I can say is that the Mpingo discs make a huge difference in my room. I do listen the 3D imediatelly! You are correct Bernard, that's what they do. Separation, right image with depht , and great tonallity. This snake oil really works for good!. As I said before, you do not know what you are missing, until you give to them a try. It is like adding flavor to your favorite food! Happy listening!
Roberto, I'm looking forward to evaluating them more. Since my post earlier today I tried three on the CDP, as specified in the PDF you and Kedar sent me, and I think I do hear an improvement....I was listening to Malagueña on Hi-Fi A La Española.

Last edited:
It does give you a cake. I don't like bad amps, but between the good ones I haven't seen anything particular to choose from. This product excited me far more
Now why would a guy with a perfectly good name like Kedar go and call himself Bonzo?

Now why would a guy with a perfectly good name like Kedar go and call himself Bonzo?

That's short for John Bonham, which is what they called me before I was born. The reason I think focals and wilsons and other such boxes are foo, is that they play Bonham's drums pretty fake.

Oh come on, you can buy a decent DAC for a computer for $30.

Uhhh, I mean "It will hold you over until you can find a device with the subjective terms and qualities you like."

Yeah, Bernard, get with the $30 DAC program. Michael Crawford? No thanks. Always hated him. Complete twat.

You can always apply correction to balance out the $30 dac

Yeah, Bernard, get with the $30 DAC program. Michael Crawford? No thanks. Always hated him. Complete twat.
Justin, you should go for it. With the money you get from selling the Lampizator you could buy enough port to forget all about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back