Shun Mook

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bernard, this will just allow you to see if there is a difference. It won't allow you to enjoy the music - minimum is 3 on each component, one for each panel.
I don't know about that. I'm enjoying the music right now.

Roberto,

For the CDP I was following the instructions in the PDF you sent me: the three disks oriented so that lines drawn through the dot are tangential to the spindle, with the disks clustered on top of the CD. But I will try your 8" equilateral triangle; I even made a template!

When you have some more discs, you can play around with them and use the one that you liked most. But in a general way, the 8" equilateral triangle is the most evident listening tweak in my room, perhaps in yours too. Happy listening!

It seems like some are claiming that these disks make an electrical difference since they affect the component they are placed on. What would be an interesting test is if you used a Y adapter and used two identical pre-amps or DACs, for example. (They don't even have to be identical). Then compare the two outputs with a differential amplifier and digitize the result. Then place the magic disks on one of the components and run the test again.

Unfortunately, I think there is a small or non-existant intersection of people using these disks, and ones willing to do the measurement. The internet arguments will continue LOL.

No, they make a resonating difference.

What is interesting is if you can put them on your system, and lift them off, and 'hear' if they make a difference. Seriously, when you swap a Metallica CD for a Mozart, do you need to measure to see if there was a difference?

No, they make a resonating difference.

So are they injecting these resonances into the electrical signals or not?

If yes, then it should be very easy to measure accurately.

I saw on their website a pdf "acoustic test" where the data was appallingly bad.

Now why would you do that instead of trying to find a dealer or friend to borrow some and listening to them?

Now why would you do that instead of trying to find a dealer or friend to borrow some and listening to them?

The first reason is that I have no friends. :(

The second reason is that their marketing is so clearly fraudulent that I would be ashamed to use them, even if it were true that they made rattling and buzzing noises.

Well I guess you won't be able to enjoy one of the most musical of tweaks then

If some who have heard them recommended them to me, and they could be auditioned, yes I would. Similar to the way I am going to audition the Synergistic research ART, and the zilplex, and the sanders, and the soundlabs, etc

Last edited:
If some who have heard them recommended them to me, and they could be auditioned, yes I would. Similar to the way I am going to audition the Synergistic research, and the ziplex, and the sanders, and the soundlabs, etc

I suppose I'd also try any number of products if there is no risk or obligation. I don't see the harm in it. If any of them work, then great. If not, nothing is lost. I don't see why anyone would be so adamant about avoiding them, but to each their own.

Easy Julian. Because their impact cannot be measured.

GG

PS: I understand that perspective but obviously disagree with it.

Last edited:
I measure every time I skip a song just to make sure - might be listening to the same stuff again, never know, need to look at the control panel to find out

Well I guess you won't be able to enjoy one of the most musical of tweaks then

There's a risk I will be missing out on a real benefit. In this case, I am taking a principled stand against Data Abuse and Marketing Claims So Bad it Makes Me Cringe. By sticking up for principles, one often misses out on personal benefits. A valuable life lesson indeed.

If some who have heard them recommended them to me, and they could be auditioned, yes I would. Similar to the way I am going to audition the Synergistic research ART, and the zilplex, and the sanders, and the soundlabs, etc

I suppose I'd also try any number of products if there is no risk or obligation. I don't see the harm in it. If any of them work, then great. If not, nothing is lost.

With this kind of attitude, you'd try anything?

Easy Julian. Because their impact cannot be measured.

I haven't yet made any claims about the measurability of the SMDs, but I will claim that anything real is measurable and vice versa.

Yes, I will try anything that interests me. Can you please refer me to another long, drawn out and incredibly boring website so I can waste this beautiful Saturday afternoon numbing my brain instead of listening to great sounding music on my uncorrected but great sounding stereo? You are a smart guy, and can sense the sarcasm, right? You know, we have a resident expert (or two) on room correction and room treatment, and they never try to ram their opinions down our throats. Why do you? What's your deal? Are you really that much more informed than all of us who enjoy trying things and experimenting without using software? Are you leading us to water, but getting frustrated that we just won't have a sip? Seriously, everyone knows just how you feel, but you won't stop Hi-jacking thread after thread with your insistence that using measurement software is the only right way to setup a stereo.

Beanbag, what you have are not principles. Not to rape, murder, etc, are principles - but not to go to a restaurant that serves spinach is not a principle. You are just knitting yourself into complexities to give yourself something you can stand up to so that you feel important about something and can show some character in an internet argument. Going by your computer audiophile thread, like me, you are a newbie. All I can tell you is enjoy this journey. People will give you opinions on what to try, experiment with it and enjoy the experiment - you will like some and you won't like some, but don't use words like 'ashamed', 'principles', etc which are condescending to other people who have tried out stuff and liked it. After trying it out, feel free to say you didn't like it if you didn't. This is a simple and enjoyable journey, really - it's about choosing to listen to shun mooks, ffs, not choosing to vote what country Crimea should be part of.

All of us are geeks who try stuff and have a little something in us to convince others, which is part of the fun of the forum, but don't be condescending - at least not until you have had the experience

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back