11.2 DSX - ESL Flat Panel Speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

#ZERO

Reaction score
11.2 DSX - DTS NEO:X - ESL Flat Panel Speakers

I'm searching for some front high & rear surround speakers for an 11.2 DSX setup and would like to know if anyone manufactures ESL flat panels that can be mounted directly to the wall. I would like to build some framed acoustic panels and mount the ESL transducers inside before covering them up with decorative fabric. I've been contemplating the idea of using some Bohlender Graebener planar transducers or some OEM transducers from the flat speaker's website. I'm just curious if there are any more options of the flat panel type speakers that have a wide frequency bandwidth.

http://www.bg-speaker.de/speaker/index.html

http://www.flattspeakers.com/Products.html

Last edited:
Sorry can't help but did want to suggest using DTS NEO:X for real 11 channel output since you are already spending all this money, an extra $1500 for an Onkyo or slightly more for a receiver that does this wouldn't be too hard sounds like. The DSX isn't as favored from the couple hours I spent reading up on it online. Supposedly only NEO X is the only one tha properly pulls the 11 channel data from an encoded disk.

Sorry can't help but did want to suggest using DTS NEO:X for real 11 channel output since you are already spending all this money, an extra $1500 for an Onkyo or slightly more for a receiver that does this wouldn't be too hard sounds like. The DSX isn't as favored from the couple hours I spent reading up on it online. Supposedly only NEO X is the only one tha properly pulls the 11 channel data from an encoded disk.
I'm using the Marantz AV8801 processor which has both the Audyssey XT32 DSX and DTS NEO X so that's good info to know along with two Sunfire TGA-7400 seven channel amplifiers but I'm unable to use these features without having all the speakers connected.

In regard to your speaker setup. I think DTS took a new speaker layout plus you might see Auro3D which also uses the same layout. They use hight front as well as high rear channels and ditched the typical wides at the 45 degree angle.

Just fyi since I'm also trying to future proof the speaker setup since they will be the ML in-walls.

Attachments

• neox_11_1.jpg
    neox_11_1.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 491
Snyder,

Thanks for posting the picture.

Had no idea what an 11.1 setup would look like.

Think the biggest issue will be the mixing engineer to ensure all 11 channels function well together. Otherwise, could turn into a sonic ping pong game.

GG

Has anyone auditioned the new ML Motion SLM-XL speakers yet?

I'm considering these SLM-XLs for the front highs and back surround channels if they sound okay.

Nobody local has these in stock including Best Buy so there's no real way hear these without purchasing them first.

mlmoslmxl_3.jpg

Back