System #455 (Vista)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InterMechanico

Reaction score
1. Name: Julian Picard

2. Location: Vancouver, Canada

3. ML Model: Vistas
3a. Headphones: Audeze LCD-2 Planar

4. Year Purchased: December 2011

5. Modifications: Stock crossover networks completely by-passed. Stock woofers replaced with SEAS Excel W22EX001 woofers. Vistas are fully active using MiniDSP ICEPower 250 plate amplifiers. Crossover point set at 250 hz/ 48 db/octave (for now). Panels are set -5 db. One day when I get my rear fully in gear, the bass section of my Vistas will incorporate the above woofers as well as SEAS Design L26roy04 Subwoofers.

6. Associated Electronics: Yamaha A-S2000 Integrated 2 ch. Amplifier with custom Rosewood side panels
Yamaha CD-S2000 SACD Transport
Yamaha NP-S2000 Network Music Player
Collect all Three!!

6a. Analog Source: Pro-Ject 1 Xpression mk3 Classic w/ Dynavector 10X5 Cartridge

Interconnects: Kimber Kable Tonic SLR's

Speaker Cable: Anti-Cables Level 3 Reference 6 foot pair
Other: Vistas sitting on Auralex MoPads, alternately Grammas

7. Stories/Other: I happened upon the Vistas completely by accident just before Christmas in 2010. My friend and I were walking through Future Shop, and I was explaining my theory that certain managers at Future Shop believe that the only reason they do not get the discerning listeners into their A/V room is because they lack the required high end equipment. So, the manager orders something exotic, such as M/L stats. Invariably, no one with a large enough budget ever sees them, so a guy can sometimes get them as they're being cleared out. Sure enough, there were 2 sets of Vistas on clearance; one Demo set, one set NIB. I bargained on the demo set, down to $750.00 per speaker, then insisted on the NIB set, and home I went to try them out.
From that point on I've been impressed beyond all measure.

8. Image(s):

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 827
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 818
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 827
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 828
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:
P.S. I know it looks as though I have a lot of tidying up to do, and I'll get it done soon. I'm currrently moving things around an awful lot, so nothing is permanent. I'd like to get a cooling system into the open section of the wall unit, as well as suitable glass shelving to house my 2 channel gear. My biggest irritation is the oversight on my part of the difference between the output voltage on the balanced side of the DAC (4.2 v rms) and the max input voltage on the balanced side of the A-S2000 (2.8 v rms). Since the Cam Audio 650c has the same DAC's as the DacMagic, the DAC is redundant in that case anyhow. However, is it true that running through a good quality toslink to the DAC and using Balanced connections will result in improved sound quality, especially in poorer quality recordings? Anyhow, I need a new DAC or a new Amplifier/Preamp combo. Anyone have experience with the Emotiva stuff?

***Update*** Just added (for a song) Yamaha CD-S2000 SACD Player to replace Cambridge Audio 650C and Kimber Tonic SLR interconnects

Last edited:
I have Started demolishing the huge looming hideous built-in 70's throwback, and have posted the destruction for your enjoyment.

Last edited:
I suggest that you consider moving the speakers into the room, away from the front wall.

Thank you Bernard. That is the plan. I have to finish removing the cabinet, repair the wall, and build a nice, unique and attractive floating shelf (s) on which to place my electronics. I think at that point, i'll be able to manage 3 feet or so, and have the speakers 8 feet apart. The listening area is 8 feet from the line between the speakers. It's NOT a large area, but it's all I have unless I buy a house ($750,000.00 in my area, my condo was nearly $400k)

I really like being able to see my electronics again.

Last edited:
I'm experimenting with some room treatments. I've made up two panels; 24" x 48". I used Roxul ComfortBoard R6 rated, 1.5" thick. So far, I'm noticing a big reduction in Brightness that occurred when I removed the cabinetry between the speakers. Nothing is permanent until I finish removing the lower portion of doghouse :).

Updated Pictures. Will build proper electronics stand in the near future. Glad to have just air between my Vistas and nothing else. Dynavector 10x5 Cartridge installed; sound is more organic now, bass is a little overwhelming now. Will research more room treatments and speaker placement, although the latter is quite limited due to my Hobbit sized living room.

Updated Pictures. Will build proper electronics stand in the near future. Glad to have just air between my Vistas and nothing else. Dynavector 10x5 Cartridge installed; sound is more organic now, bass is a little overwhelming now. Will research more room treatments and speaker placement, although the latter is quite limited due to my Hobbit sized living room.
Try raising the arm a bit, if that one permits it.

Try raising the arm a bit, if that one permits it.

Thank you, Bernard. As soon as I took a closer look (as per your recommendation), I noticed the arm is too low. I can adjust its' height, but I have to pick up some tiny allen keys to do it. I'll report back when I've made the adjustment. Thanks again.

Hey Julian, your first set of pics is posted twice, and most of your updates are repeats as well.

Thanks, Guys! I love the understated look of the Yamaha gear I have. Just a couple of nice, dim, orange LEDs and a smooth face plate.

Bernard, all fixed up with a current room picture and NO REPEATS :D

Beek, the room is rather small, but it's all I have. The dimensions are 11 ft wide by 13 ft long (opens onto wide kitchen area) by 8 ft high. I've built a few wall shelves to store my music and other junk.

11.jpg12.jpg

I've done some basic testing, and to my surprise, I seem to have a little bit too much bass action.... further testing and shuffling about needed.

Latest posts

Back