System #439 (Motion 12)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2K9R56S

Reaction score
1. Member Name: Todd G.
2. Location: Olathe, KS (33 miles from Martin Logan HQ)
3. ML Model(s): Motion 12
4. Year Purchased: 2011
5. Mods/Changes: None
6. Associated Electronics: Yamaha R-S700 w/iPod dock, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable, Canare Cables.
7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience: My ML experience began with wanting to piece together a better sounding system for vinyl than what my in-wall JBL speakers and floor sub were providing… Without spending too much. They’re great for TV, movies, games, etc., but for music, they were so-so. After visiting various A/V shops around town I settled on the Motion 12s because of the sound, price, aesthetics and it’s a local company. About the only thing I don’t like about them are the binding posts. Otherwise they’re perfect for what I need without the use of a subwoofer. The Motion 12s, Yamaha R-S700 and Pro-Ject turntable are one ‘system’. The TV, in-wall speakers, floor sub and everything else on the rack is another ‘system’.

On a side note: A few weeks ago my local (and favorite) record store / hi-fi shop hosted an after hours turntable clinic. One of the guest speakers was Ron Sutherland. He was absolutely incredible. Very nice, very knowledgeable and very passionate about his work. He brought his Phono and Line Block products along that evening and after all was said and done he took the casings off and showed about 3 or 4 of us who had gathered around the inner workings. All the little details, why he did things certain ways, why he chose specific components, etc. It was awesome. I could listen to him for hours.

ht.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Welcome Todd! I talked with Ron at last year's RMAF. He had his N1 preamp with built in phono pre and Nixie tubes! That's a really cool component.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/ron-sutherland-his-new-n1-preamp

That night was the first time I finally saw nixie tubes in person. Very cool indeed. The single knob that controls volume, mute and input was slick too.

Welcome - my suggestion? Move the rack behind and give the 'Logans a bit more breathing room.

I agree. The rack turned out a little bigger than what I thought it would. Anyway, the laundry room is right behind that wall. One of my thoughts is to move everything into there and figure out some kind of Global Cache system to control it with.

Latest posts

Back