So, do I get ML EM-ESLs or Magnapan 1.7s?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unknownsou

Reaction score
I'm the process of redoing my HT setup, and my speakers are first on the list. I'm sticking with a 2.1 setup (have a SVS PC-12 sub that I'll be hanging onto for this.) The only question I have is whether I should go with Martin Logan's EM-ESL speakers, or the Magnaplanar 1.7s. I'm looking for something that'll sound as natural as possible with music, but I also don't want something too anemic for when I'm playing games and watching movies. This is going to be in a small-ish room, but there's enough space that I can place the speakers away from the walls.

So, what should I go with? Or at the very least, what are the pros and cons of each option?

Lots of reviews out there on this topic. Also, try the search feature for past posts.

Bottom line is that they are very different speakers (ML vs Maggies) and you need to listen to both to decide which is best for you.

Good luck.

GG

If you like speed & detail the ML's I have been a maggie owner for many years...Theres no way a magnetic can keep up with a stat

do yourself a favor, as Gordon said, go out and listen to both.

Lots of reviews out there on this topic. Also, try the search feature for past posts.

Bottom line is that they are very different speakers (ML vs Maggies) and you need to listen to both to decide which is best for you.

Good luck.

GG

That is the best advise you will ever get. Trust your ears. :)

I agree w/ the above comments. Find a dealer that carries both and give them a listen. Before I bought my ML Vantages I went out and listened to the magnepan 3.6 and the 1.7's (they had just come out at that point). I REALLY didn't like the sound of the 1.7's. They were harsh, flat, and had almost no low end compared to the Vantages (granted, the Vantage is much more money). Perhaps if you have a dedicated sub then maybe it would be a consideration. The 3.6 were definitely better but once again, the low end of the Vantages which have a sub built in could not even compare although the mids and highs were comparable. Definitely take a listen before buying as these three speakers sound vastly different. Hope this helps.

I have done a FEW A-B comparisons with Mag vs ML and I always think that ML sounds better. Call me a fanboy, but the truth isn't fancy... its the truth and what I have based my tastes on.

I also changed from Magnepan to ML long time ago. I just like more the sound from the fasted diaphragm on earth!. Also, my ears are very sensitive to crossovers, and ML offers a coherence sound from 500Hz and up, with no crossover, no phase shift, no different SPL on some notes right at the edge of the crossover point. No more the plastic player, where you find that just some notes are not played where the musician(s) instrument(s) are. The stage is like a cartoon. With ML, the stage is stable, and transparent, clean, with the right size of the instrument(s) vocal(s). I do not like my ears two inches away of the strings of the guitar player. I like to be sitted in front of the stage, not in the stage. Magnepan is a great speaker too. But my heart and ears are with ML sound. Trust your ears and choose the one that you liked most. It is a matter of liking or taste in sound. Happy listening,!

I have done a FEW A-B comparisons with Mag vs ML and I always think that ML sounds better. Call me a fanboy, but the truth isn't fancy... its the truth and what I have based my tastes on.

Completely agree after been a Maggie man since 75 (but not only), they tend to be warm & slugish after hearing ML's. Not to mention that is a trip to get them fixed placement,air space blah blah blah...

I REALLY didn't like the sound of the 1.7's. They were harsh, flat, and had almost no low end compared to the Vantages (granted, the Vantage is much more money
I have both speakers: Magnepan 1.7 and ML Vantage. I disagree that the Magnepan 1.7 speakers are harsh and flat. Not my experience at all. The 1.7 has less bass but I use a JL audio f110 and now you have a pretty nice combo with great bass at approximately the same price as a pair of ML Vantages. JMHO

I have both speakers: Magnepan 1.7 and ML Vantage. I disagree that the Magnepan 1.7 speakers are harsh and flat. Not my experience at all. The 1.7 has less bass but I use a JL audio f110 and now you have a pretty nice combo with great bass at approximately the same price as a pair of ML Vantages. JMHO

You make a good point here. I guess I would agree that the 1.7's paired with a descent sub and you have both the highs and lows covered. It's nice that with the ML's you don't need to buy a sub and you know that the crossover will be correct and that the sound will mesh well. I'm not knocking the 1.7's but I just felt that the ML's sounded more detailed and musical. But granted this is a very individual thing that people may disagree with due to taste. I definitely recommend listening to both speakers before buying as the sound is simply "different".

I hope / trust that this forum will not descend into the "them vs us" condescending / childish rhetoric if the same question were asked on the "AA" website.

They are both great product lines with their individual strengths and weaknesses.

GG

I hope / trust that this forum will not descend into the "them vs us" condescending / childish rhetoric if the same question were asked on the "AA" website.

They are both great product lines with their individual strengths and weaknesses.

GG

It's only when we start comparing with MBL that things tend to "descend" ;) Joking of course.

However, when it comes to Apogee, well, best to hold the tongue I suppose ;)

Well ill give you an opinion because that is what this forum is all about isn't it? If u were going strictly music then it would be a more difficult choice. But if you are considering movies etc - I might lean toward the Logan because it is going to b more dynamic. I have yet to hear the 1.7 but I have heard the upper line. Anyone here have maggies in a HT? Maybe someone all ready said and I missed it.

I REALLY didn't like the sound of the 1.7's. They were harsh, flat, and had almost no low end compared to the Vantages (granted, the Vantage is much more money

Maybe its your tube Pre.
Many mag users pad their tweeters some even rip out the x/o & use DSP
Its all a personal taste thing we really cant answer for the OP.
Like asking which car to buy on a Ferrari forum.:rocker:

It looks like beek has more knowledge about this than I do. Although I did demo the 1.7's on the same day I was demoing the ML's, I freely admit that 30 min of listening on each is not going to compare to days and weeks of listening on system you have access to in your home. It may have also been that during my listening session the rest of the equipment was simply better matched to the ML's than the Maggies.... Difficult to say. I also never demoed movies on it either, only some CD's that I brought along with me. On top of that, it was not coupled to a sub which sounds like a major consideration with the 1.7's. I guess "Unknownsou" has to either demo these at the store or go over to beek's house! :) I have a feeling he's not going to be disappointed either way!

It looks like beek has more knowledge about this than I do. Although I did demo the 1.7's on the same day I was demoing the ML's, I freely admit that 30 min of listening on each is not going to compare to days and weeks of listening on system you have access to in your home. It may have also been that during my listening session the rest of the equipment was simply better matched to the ML's than the Maggies.... Difficult to say. I also never demoed movies on it either, only some CD's that I brought along with me. On top of that, it was not coupled to a sub which sounds like a major consideration with the 1.7's. I guess "Unknownsou" has to either demo these at the store or go over to beek's house! :) I have a feeling he's not going to be disappointed either way!

Hey all come over jus bring BEER! Here now are the 1.6's & Vistas. I dont wanna come off like mister know it all I just was lucky to have alot of experience starting when I was a kid.... I'm not an EE I just acted like one at work...:rolleyes:

More opinions

However, when it comes to Apogee, well, best to hold the tongue I suppose......

I once spent a few hours with the biggest Apogee's Studio Grands?
All Krell Mono tri-amped Mr Bloom had a small folio of cd's probably the best I heard.
The ML Statements are also incredable also.:p

I had Maggie 1.6s and ML sequel IIs in my system for a couple of years switching them out off and on. Actually they sound pretty comparable. The Maggies maybe a little warmer full sounding, great with voices. The Sequels a little more detailed and open. The Maggies do demand a little more power if that is a concern.

Back