Two Channel Amp or 5 Channel Biamp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungwoo22

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Newbie here asking for help. I have a pair of Vista running with Pioneer SC-35 AVR. Looking to upgrade with an external amp(via SC-35 preouts):
Choices:
1. Rotel RMB 1075, 120WX5 (looking to biamp 4 chan to Vista)
2. Threshold S200, 100WX2 (straight to Vista via speaker binding post bridged)
Purpose: To enhance music listening via 2 chan stereo on my new Vista.

Which of the two will produce the better sound quality?

Threshold amp

Given the choices, I'd pick the Threshold S/200 for it is a very musical amplifier. It's much more engaging than the Rotel.

Spike

Rotel RMB 1075 is not a good match with Vista. I know it because I used to have the RMB 1075 with Vista (I've never actually tried bi-amp). Music tend to be cacophonic and congested, lack dynamics and somewhat dry with not really defined sense of 3D. RMB 1075 has output inductors installed to tolerate capacitive loads from electrostatic panels This solution is known as "cheating" and lead to bandwidth limitations.

Bi-amping these speakers will not provide much benefit (over using single amps of higher power). This is because you cannot disable the internal xovers.

I am currently using a Parasound 5250v.2 (250@8ohms x 5) on my Vistas/Stage/Rears. Also available in 2ch (2550v.2).

Good Used Two Channel amp for $1000 or less

Thank you so much for your help.

As Mr. Spike & Churchill advised, I will look for musical two channel amp and forget Rotel as per Mr. MrBT's experience. Also, I will not consider biamping these speakers as per Mr. JRace's precise reasoning.

Threshold S200 was sold while I was contemplating. Now I am looking at Sunfire & Parasound. So many amp MFRs wow... Dont know what to do with $1000 budget.

Just because the internal crossover cannot be bypassed (easily), it does not mean that you should dismiss the idea of bi-amping your Vista. I am running my ReQuests with tubes on the panels and solid-state on the woofer with good result.

Spike

Back