Oppo BDP-95

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsv_1

Reaction score
Blu-Ray audio

Hey Guys,

So, in anticipation of Panasonic introducing a 3D 1080P projector sometime later this year, I went ahead and pre-ordered an Oppo BDP-95. Figure I'll test-drive it's audio prowess in my 2-chan system for a few months (mainly for SACD playback)... see how she rolls. I also want to try some of the new Blu-Ray audio discs that are starting to come out as well.

Has anyone been playing around (or plan to play) with Blu-Ray audio?

Cheers,

-Todd

Attachments

• BDP-95-front.jpg
    BDP-95-front.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,844
Last edited:
I received my Oppo 95 over a week ago. So far I have played mostly 3D stuff with very good surround sound material. Resident Evil last night was particularly good, both in 3D content and in surround sound presentation.

No if you hook up your Oppo using multi-channel analog, it will do some pretty amazing things on your multi-channel system. Namely it will play DVD Audio, SACD, HDCD, HRCD, HLSHT it will play every almost every format known to man. Is it super hi-end, who cares. Try it you might like it.

I also have an Oppo 93 and two Oppo 83s. On my CLX-based 5.1 system I use a SimAudio Moon Orbiter MultiiDisc player but I really only use it for audio, SACD, DVD Audio and CDs. I will probably add a 95 or modded 95 in the near future so that I have a backup for my Moon Orbiter. The Oppo is a great machine for the money, it also allows you to do so much more with your system, but I guess it depends on what you want to do with your system and whether or not you still have room in your depends.:D

Just got my BDP-95 the other day, but still getting it fully integrated into my system (and home network). After a brief listen with CD's/SACD's, it's significantly better than the BDP-83... far more low level detail and pinpoint imaging of instruments and voices. Thus far very impressive. Looking forward to some head-to-head comparisons with my Squeezebox Touch/Benchmark combo with 24/96 tracks, once I figure out how to connect the BDP-95 to my NAS.

After about 100 hrs with the BDP-95, I am blown away by it's quality. It's 32-bit Sabre DAC clearly surpasses my SB Touch/Benchmark combo. I can now also directly stream FLAC files (up to 24/192) off my NAS via DLNA. Unfortunately, the Oppo's DLNA interface is fairly rudimentary at this point, but I expect future firmware upgrades will address that. I'm also considering other DLNA interfaces including dBPowerAmp's Asset DLNA and Controller (unfortunately NOT currently compatible with the Oppo, but hopefully soon), and J River Media Center (not sure if compatible). For those debating whether to purchase the BDP-95, particularly if you would be using the analog outs for two-channel listening, my answer is a resounding YES. IMHO, this component is a high-end "giant killer."

QUOTE=JMAUSGP;132793]I received my Oppo 95 over a week ago. So far I have played mostly 3D stuff with very good surround sound material. Resident Evil last night was particularly good, both in 3D content and in surround sound presentation.

No if you hook up your Oppo using multi-channel analog, it will do some pretty amazing things on your multi-channel system. Namely it will play DVD Audio, SACD, HDCD, HRCD, HLSHT it will play every almost every format known to man. Is it super hi-end, who cares. Try it you might like it.

I also have an Oppo 93 and two Oppo 83s. On my CLX-based 5.1 system I use a SimAudio Moon Orbiter MultiiDisc player but I really only use it for audio, SACD, DVD Audio and CDs. I will probably add a 95 or modded 95 in the near future so that I have a backup for my Moon Orbiter. The Oppo is a great machine for the money, it also allows you to do so much more with your system, but I guess it depends on what you want to do with your system and whether or not you still have room in your depends.:D[/QUOTE]

Like JMAUSGP, I had my Oppo 95 up and running for around a week. I am a fence sitter given that I am 50% HT and 50% SACD, CD. The Oppo is great on all counts and certainly wins my vote. It plays everything that I can throw at it. This is a great piece of equipment for its money and will be used for many years to come - famous last words!!

... Unfortunately, the Oppo's DLNA interface is fairly rudimentary at this point, but I expect future firmware upgrades will address that. I'm also considering other DLNA interfaces including dBPowerAmp's Asset DLNA and Controller (unfortunately NOT currently compatible with the Oppo, but hopefully soon), and J River Media Center (not sure if compatible).

Bummer. According to a post on AVS Forums re the BDP-93/95, it CANNOT work as a DLNA Renderer (meaning ability to "push" music to it remotely), due to a limitation of the MediaTek controller chip it uses. Using Oppo's DLNA interface it can access your home network and "pull" FLAC, MP3, and WAV tracks (probably others too) off a server, but it cannot play gapless. I'm considering getting Modwright's "digital input" mod, so I can keep using my Squeezebox Touch as my primary source, but feed everything into the Oppo's excellent 32-bit Sabre DAC and analog output.

Chris Martens TAS review of the BDP-95 is finally out, in the Jan 2012 issue. It's pretty much a rave review (as I expected, based on my own listening experience). He compared it to the Anthem Statement A2v (DAC function only), Musical Fidelity kW SACD player (retail $7000), and the Rega Isis CD player (retail $9000). Overall, it handily beat the Anthem's DAC, and came close to equaling his reference players (which he said offered a bit more low bass). Unfortunately, he did not listen to it via DLNA, streaming Redbook or higher-res tracks, which I have found sounds far superior to discs, and (??) would have outperformed his reference spinners. Hopefully the full review willl be online in a month or two. To summarize, he says "If you can afford something more expensive, strongly consider buying the Oppo anyway. It's that good."

Unfortunately, Oppo says they are not able to upgrade the device to full DLNA Rendering function (due to some chipset limitations), and navigating my NAS file directory via the Oppo interface is too cumbersome.

Since I believe the ESS Sabre 9018 DAC is the "soul" of the BDP-95's sound, I decided to look for an outboard DAC that uses the Sabre chip, to pair with my Squeezebox Touch (replacing my Benchmark, with Analog Devices AD1853 chipset), for easier Redbook and high-res streaming. Towards that end, I pre-ordered the new Audiolab M-DAC (a John Westlake design) that is based on the Sabre 9018, and includes a linear power supply and "Class A" analog output. Unfortunately, the initial production of M-DAC's are already sold out, so looks like I'll be waiting until early 2012 to get mine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back